OFFICIAL N-G.com Star Trek Thread

zaneiken

Zero's Tailor
10 Year Member
Makes me sad that we had to sit through two absolutely terrible seasons to get to this, and then that's it.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Makes me sad that we had to sit through two absolutely terrible seasons to get to this, and then that's it.
I think I will definitely give this season a go after everything I've read in here.

But in my desire for good Trek I've just started reading the TNG/DS9 novels and am really enjoying myself

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
There's a lot of noise and even petitions to have Terry Matalas continue with another series set right after Picard S3, with or without any legacy TNG characters.

Prevailing theory would be a show with the Titan and it's current crew (Captain Shaw, Seven, etc).

And god damn, they fucking brought back
Spoiler:
Ro fucking Laren
100% did not see that coming. Wrapped up a nearly 30 year unresolved story thread perfectly, albeit sadly.

Confirmed Geordi will finally make an appearance this week. Some rumors:

Spoiler:
The HMS Bounty (the bird of prey from ST 3 and 4) will make an appearance and possibly be used to break into Daystrom Institute due to it having a cloaking device. On one of the promo shots, someone noted that they could see a bird of prey on the screen behind Geordi showing other ships at the Fleet Museum, and Dave Blass chimed in that it will be "a whale of an episode". Would also explain the bit during the end credits that shows a Starfleet device of some kind with Klingon text replaced with English. Plus, the episode's name is "The Bounty", so.....

Troi will come into the series later on to probe Jack's mind and see what is going on inside there. They could have just borrowed a Vulcan on the Titan presumably to do it, unless he/they aren't on it anymore, or didn't trust anyone else.

Either Lore or Moriarity are speculated to be the AI controlling the security at Daystrom, after Krinn noted that it has some "rather illogical weaknesses". Safe bet that both of them are there to be pitted against each other however it turns out. Lore was also seen in a promo photo showing the whole crew on a shuttle for what looked to be Frontier Day celebrations, so safe bet Lore isn't the security AI.

It's speculated that the Changelings look like bacon pudding in liquid form now instead of their older orange/brown clear look because of genetic modification that allowed them to evolve and remain solid with realistic organs even after death. It also appears that non-Changelings can be converted into these new ones thanks to some genetic shenanigans, which is why Vadic and her crew have the forms that they do. My guess is this is related to Daystrom as well.

zaneiken

Zero's Tailor
10 Year Member
There's a lot of noise and even petitions to have Terry Matalas continue with another series set right after Picard S3, with or without any legacy TNG characters.

Prevailing theory would be a show with the Titan and it's current crew (Captain Shaw, Seven, etc).

Petitions are what gave us Strange New Worlds - the only good thing to come from Discovery.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Petitions are what gave us Strange New Worlds - the only good thing to come from Discovery.
That and Saru.

If we could do what Marvel did to Miles Morales and bring him into main continuity, or even just chill with the people in Strange New Worlds that would be awesome. The rest of discovery, anything that is not directly related to SNW or Saru can stick it. Fucking garbage trek.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
I gave in. I'm on episode 2. I'm actually enjoying. But this sub plot with the chick from the first two seasons is wearing me out. I hope the ping pong cadence chills the fuck out.

It's like cutting between two shows constantly.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I gave in. I'm on episode 2. I'm actually enjoying. But this sub plot with the chick from the first two seasons is wearing me out. I hope the ping pong cadence chills the fuck out.

It's like cutting between two shows constantly.

The stories first merge at the end of episode 5

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
The stories first merge at the end of episode 5

Sucks cuz it's really good otherwise. They keep cutting back to that plotline and I just check my phone. I mean the "handler" showing up is rad but ugh.

Edit: I think it's important to approach this as TNG movie and not the series though. Clearly "movie" vibe going on.

Last edited:

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Sucks cuz it's really good otherwise. They keep cutting back to that plotline and I just check my phone. I mean the "handler" showing up is rad but ugh.

Edit: I think it's important to approach this as TNG movie and not the series though. Clearly "movie" vibe going on.

Raffi annoys the shit out of me. Cant stand her. I would have preferred to have Rios stick around than that idiot.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Raffi annoys the shit out of me. Cant stand her. I would have preferred to have Rios stick around than that idiot.

Everything about her character is annoying and doesn't at all feel like a story/character that should be so heavily focused on. I didn't watch more than a few episodes of the previous seasons (mainly because of her) but I get why they use her for connective tissue to those seasons but UGH. So awful.

Fygee

20 Year Member
General rule of thumb with this season is to stick it out with anything that creates questions or frustration. Thus far they've all have had a payoff.

Personally I dig the espionage bits with Raffi, especially after her handler shows up. I do think it's a bit silly that they keep going right back to the same grungy alleyway on that big planet though. Oh well, set budgets I guess...

Their story merges with what's going on on the Titan at the end of episode 5.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Is Picard streamed weekly? Which day? I'm caught up and officially hooked.

Edit: looks like every Thursday

Spoiler:
Killing off Ro was unnecessary, she would've made an awesome addition to the now smaller rag-tag team.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
You guys should watch The Ready Room hosted by Whil Wheaton. It’s basically a behind the scenes/interview after show.

Pretty good stuff. Really enjoyed this weeks interview with Levar, his daughter, and the actress who plays his other daughter.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I just watched The Inner Light for the first time in years.

It’s such a beautiful story.
Anyone read any Star Trek comics?

Not specifically no, but I did meet the writer of The Inner Light at a con once, he was selling signed (repro) scripts, and he also commissioned a comic to be made for the sequel that he pitched but was never picked up. It was called The Outer Light and I bought the comic as it was like $5 or whatever, and it was OK. The art on it wasn't great, and the story was odd.

Its been a while but, something about the people on the planet actually did survive, and I think they were in another dimension? Either way, Picard meets up with his family again, but they also appear on the Enterprise, etc etc. It was a little muddled if I recall correctly so I can see why it wasn't picked up. But honestly for that episode, it works way better as a stand-alone without a sequel or anything trying to milk it.

Fygee

20 Year Member
Anyone read any Star Trek comics?
None of the recent ones. I read the ones made by Darkhorse(?) in the 90s. Those were really good and I need to go back and revisit them.

Fygee

20 Year Member
Preview of episode 7 confirms that the big bad giving orders to Vadic is not a Changeling.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Preview of episode 7 confirms that the big bad giving orders to Vadic is not a Changeling.

Interesting.

My assumption was it was a changeling but somehow “split” between Vadic and Jack, with it needing the part from Jack back to become whole.

Guess we have a lot more to learn.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
None of the recent ones. I read the ones made by Darkhorse(?) in the 90s. Those were really good and I need to go back and revisit them.

Most recent comic series apparently involves The Prophets sending Sisko out of the wormhole to check upon some other god like species who’ve gone quiet.

Last edited: