Fuck Yeah Vita!

doaal

Mr. Big's Thug
I know it has backwards compatibility, but I play my PSPGo more than my Vita. Such an underwhelming library especially now when the Switch holds most of the same titles with portability. Never found a Vita game that grabbed me and wasn't a port.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Why? Will it charge faster than 1A?

The Vita is actually very picky about charging. You may have noticed some adapters not charging your vita. that is why.
Also, I've yet to encounter a microUSB port that hasn't degraded.

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
So, a few weeks ago the 16gb memory card in my VitaTV suddenly died, even though I almost never used it (mainly as a consolized PSP).
This convinced me that all official memory cards are ticking timebombs, so now both my Vita and VitaTV have custom firmware + SD2Vita adapters.
The process was actually quite simple and the adapters are fairly cheap, so I recommend that every Vita/VitaTV owner do it for themselves.
Not only does it enable the use of the SD2Vita, but it also offers lots of other nice features such as: a PS1/PSP emulator that's better than the official one, a utility that might fix some of the Vita's battery issues, a command prompt that can be used to move/copy files around, among lots of other stuff.
In case anyone is worried that they might lose access to PSN, I've been spoofing the latest official firmware and have had zero issues thus far (can still access PSN store, trophies, leaderboards/online play, etc).

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
So, a few weeks ago the 16gb memory card in my VitaTV suddenly died, even though I almost never used it (mainly as a consolized PSP).
This convinced me that all official memory cards are ticking timebombs, so now both my Vita and VitaTV have custom firmware + SD2Vita adapters.
The process was actually quite simple and the adapters are fairly cheap, so I recommend that every Vita/VitaTV owner do it for themselves.
Not only does it enable the use of the SD2Vita, but it also offers lots of other nice features such as: a PS1/PSP emulator that's better than the official one, a utility that might fix some of the Vita's battery issues, a command prompt that can be used to move/copy files around, among lots of other stuff.
In case anyone is worried that they might lose access to PSN, I've been spoofing the latest official firmware and have had zero issues thus far (can still access PSN store, trophies, leaderboards/online play, etc).

Damn, that really sucks Poison Sama and I’m sorry to hear that your memory card decided to suddenly die. It’s a bummer to learn that all these proprietary memory cards are time bombs (though I suppose that could be said for pretty much any electronic device).

Quick question: I’ve read that a quick reformat from the system settings can sometimes make the card usable again. Was this the case for you at all or did you skip right to the SD2Vita solution?

Since SD2Vita only works on a hacked vita atm, I’m glad to see that it’s still possible to spoof the existing official firmware to retain PSN access.

Alternatively, I know vitas do have some internal storage capacities that vary from model to model (oled vs slim vs psvita tv) so that partition could also help in a pinch without hacking I suppose.

Thank you for getting the word out about this issue! :buttrock:

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I did have some 64gb cards that started acting weird after not being used for a Long time. But after reformatting they were all good.

I have 2 PSTVs - one modded and one that (unfortunately) has too current a firmware to mod, as close as I can tell. Definitely the best route to go for any of these systems.

Last edited:

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
Quick question: I’ve read that a quick reformat from the system settings can sometimes make the card usable again. Was this the case for you at all or did you skip right to the SD2Vita solution?

Alternatively, I know vitas do have some internal storage capacities that vary from model to model (oled vs slim vs psvita tv) so that partition could also help in a pinch without hacking I suppose.
My 16g card is DEAD dead, reformatting doesn't work (system error every single time), and I have yet to find any homebrew utilities that have been able to revive it. I was hoping I'd be able to maybe extract at least my save files via the command console, but the system will not mount it at all.

As for internal storage, one neat thing that custom firmware allows you to do is enable 1gb~2gb storage partitions that normally wouldn't be user-accessible, and then use them as built-in memory cards. Even works on the 1000 model, which supposedly doesn't have any official built-in storage. While this helps with hacking and moving files around between storage devices/partitions, it sadly doesn't help with my situation.

I have 2 PSTVs - one modded and one that (unfortunately) has too current a firmware to mod, as close as I can tell. Definitely the best route to go for any of these systems.
All firmwares on all Vita devices can be hacked now, both my Vita 1000 and VitaTV were on the latest official firmwares before I hacked them. It might take a few tries to get it to work though.