Neo Geo Mini/Classic is God awful

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Yes, we all know it. Got mine for like $50 and it feels like a ripoff even at that price.

I was going through my closet to find crap to sell or throw away and I was heavily tempted to curb stomp this damn thing and toss it.

HOWEVER, I'm filing it away because maybe...just maybe someday, someone will hack it to have decent HDMI output. If it did that, I'd use it more...I mean, AT ALL. I blame the Saudi guy who got the gold one. He should've thrown a red flag and told them to fix this shit.

Drunk rant over.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Yea, I bought mine for even cheaper and I returned it. Thought it was junk. If it was a small clone of a big red or real candy I might have kept it as a desk piece but it wasn't for me.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
had one too, sold it pretty quickly. it just wasn't very comfortably to use and the small screen didn't help either.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I think I played mine for maybe 2 hours, put it back in the box and sold it before the price went to shit.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
The Egret 2 Mini (the only other mini arcade doo-dad I own) gets it right on almost every level. I use it as a mini console, has great external controllers and an excellent HDMI out experience. I just can't believe how badly they dropped the ball on the "console" experience of the NG mini - it's worse than china clone consoles. Clicky sticks are hard. HDMI is hard.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
My buddy got one. It was god awful.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
The Egret 2 Mini (the only other mini arcade doo-dad I own) gets it right on almost every level. I use it as a mini console, has great external controllers and an excellent HDMI out experience. I just can't believe how badly they dropped the ball on the "console" experience of the NG mini - it's worse than china clone consoles. Clicky sticks are hard. HDMI is hard.

Yeah…and all of this was true of the Neo Geo X as well. Still waiting for Mega Pack 2 with the video fix!

Honestly, to be fair, the X was so-so as a handheld. All video to a display sucks though, the AES stick they included sucked (how!??!). But as a handheld I had fun with it.

If they ever do get it right will we even notice? How long are we supposed to keep trying? The entire 16-bit mini-console boom may be over soon and SNK will turn out to be the only company who never got it right.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Just release a few Neo Geo Evercade carts and some Playstation/Xbox/Nintendo/PC compilations and call it a day. There's no reason to keep stacking up plastic crap to emulate a small handful of games.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Just release a few Neo Geo Evercade carts and some Playstation/Xbox/Nintendo/PC compilations and call it a day. There's no reason to keep stacking up plastic crap to emulate a small handful of games.
Or just fightcade.
I skipped the NEO•GEO mini and bought the NEO•GEO ASP.
I was disappointed with it as a console but kept it because I liked it as a stick.
Glad I got it at a discount or I would have been really upset.

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior
I had one running in my class and it lasted 2 weeks or so. Damn, thing died quickly.
Yea, I bought mine for even cheaper and I returned it. Thought it was junk. If it was a small clone of a big red or real candy I might have kept it as a desk piece but it wasn't for me.
I think I bought one from you?
Maybe it was an snes mini.

I set it up at work and the kids played it. It wasn't that awful with the controllers.

Last edited:

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
I had one running in my class and it lasted 2 weeks or so. Damn, thing died quickly.

I think I bought one from you?
Maybe it was an snes mini.

I set it up at work and the kids played it. It wasn't that awful with the controllers.

I've really enjoyed the E2 Mini with controllers on a TV - if the NG Mini had decent HDMI out, I'd probably use it as a dedicated little Neo emu box - but it sucks, so I don't.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I remember being surprised that it had dropped to like 70 bucks at GameStop and figured why not it has Shocktroopers on it. Played it twice and sent oh yeah that makes sense.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
I've really enjoyed the E2 Mini with controllers on a TV - if the NG Mini had decent HDMI out, I'd probably use it as a dedicated little Neo emu box - but it sucks, so I don't.
Did the Neo mini have delayed sound like the ASP does?