Watches

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
f'in wedding, man

it's all good though, I'm going all out that day

could have bought a few rolexes with the money we've spent

I have my "watch fund" on the side, will fire off once we're back in black

I'm glad I got married many moons ago. It seems like everything nowadays is stupid expensive. We went all out on the honeymoon, but I feel like the wedding itself and reception and all that wasn't too bad all things considered. Dont remember how much exactly, but surely it was under 10, maybe as low as 8 or so. This was in 2007. But I'll admit that I used a lot of connections that I had. For the venue, decoration stuff, photographer. That definitely helped the bottom line.

Anyway, big congrats. It'll all fly by fast, so try to take it all in and enjoy it.

racecar

Strolheim Choir Member
20 Year Member
f'in wedding, man

it's all good though, I'm going all out that day

could have bought a few rolexes with the money we've spent

I have my "watch fund" on the side, will fire off once we're back in black
Sage’s wedding probably cost more just saying he has to paid for the bride and the wedding. Unless he married into her family then his parent will get a bundle of cash in return .

a friend married a farm girl, her family paid for everything(65k wedding ), her family brought him a new truck and paid for down payment on their house . She was the only girl and 3 older siblings and they own like 1000+ acre of farmlands .

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Grand Seiko has some really nice dials. I want a GS but probably won’t pick one up anytime soon. Here’s another limited edition (not my pic):

F1E025B8-0E09-4C7D-B538-A00496F52B1D.jpeg

SBGH269

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member

GHEY!¡!!!!¡¡
Yeah, definitely a “wtf” curveball from Rolex. Sure, it’s “off catalogue” where typically you’ll find more creative pieces (ie: various gemset pieces such as the “eye of the tiger” Daytona etc etc) but this is pretty off-brand for most luxury brands including Rolex frankly speaking. And on a DD at that!? No thanks.

Some say there is no such thing as bad publicity but I’m not so sure with this one.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Yeah, definitely a “wtf” curveball from Rolex. Sure, it’s “off catalogue” where typically you’ll find more creative pieces (ie: various gemset pieces such as the “eye of the tiger” Daytona etc etc) but this is pretty off-brand for most luxury brands including Rolex frankly speaking. And on a DD at that!? No thanks.

Some say there is no such thing as bad publicity but I’m not so sure with this one.

This is exactly the kind of watch everyone will hate now but some goob will post on a forum somewhere years later and people will go crazy over it. Buy one now, put in a safety deposit box, and come back 10 years later to collect your winnings.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
Oh yeah, what I said about our wedding being under 10k back in 2007, that was inaccurate. Natasha informed me that it was about 13k. And that was with me using every contact I had to save money. Ha!

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
This is exactly the kind of watch everyone will hate now but some goob will post on a forum somewhere years later and people will go crazy over it. Buy one now, put in a safety deposit box, and come back 10 years later to collect your winnings.
Yeah - it's going to be worth bloody loads in future.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I've got no idea what you're on about, as usual.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
The new version of the Oris with a mechanical altimeter looks awesome.

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
Any fans of stone dial watches? I only have a few, but I do have an affinity for blue lapis lazuli or black onyx dials. Subtly unique, no two are the same. The gold specks (due to the inherent pyrite deposits) in the lapis lazuli tends to "dance" in the sun at different angles. Difficult to demonstrate in a static image.

Attachments

• IMG_3477.jpg
    IMG_3477.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Looks interesting but I think I would keep trying to wipe the "dust" off of it.

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
Yes, I thought thematically the dusty look would go well with those homecart collections out there.

In all seriousness, stone dials certainly aren't a regular occurrence with a lot of brands, but unique nevertheless. Regardless of the stone material, they can be incredibly difficult to work with as many break in the process with how thinly the blanks need to be cut. Rolex specifically doesn't divulge any specific stats on the casualties, but it's substantial.

Like i said, static images doesn't do the lapis any favors but worth a look if you have an opportunity to see a piece in the metal. Aside from dials, you'll see lapis lazuli used periodically on moonphase discs for moonphase complications quite a bit across several of the other luxury brands. It's properties as a stone is pretty interesting outside the confines of anything watch related too. But yeah, I guess that's about all I got to say about lapis lazuli.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I'd probably prefer something like that for a datejust. Rolex rarely seems to hit the sweet spot for me in terms of their dial choices. Everything is either too boring or too silly. Champagne looks gross unless you have a gold case and bracelet. and the mint green sunburst looks awful. I don't know why they don't offer the OP's teal or green dials on the DJ.

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
Everything is either too boring or too silly...
I think this is the sentiment of most, even myself in a lot of regards.

Specific to their stone dials, they usually have been more prevalent on Day Dates, not so much DJs. With respect to the OP color dials you mentioned released a few yrs ago (a throwback to the DD "stella" dials of the 70s - I love many of them) they retired a few of those colors way too early (teal, yellow, coral red etc.), especially on the 41mm. I was able to grab a 41 and a 36mm coral red for some his/her Mrs. KGB action before that color was retired.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I like their no-date watches mainly because I don't care for the cyclops.

Submariner no date and Oyster Perpetual are legit watches.

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
I like their no-date watches mainly because I don't care for the cyclops....
For 90s up to the current subs, I've always opted for the date / cyclops for some reason. But you and @kernow are right, there is something about the balanced look of a no date sub that's preferable for a lot of folks.

Pulled this one out this evening... ref. 5508 from the late 50s, small crown (as opposed to the big crown 6538 Bond Sub) gilt dial, radium hands & indices with original stretch band - a bitch to get your arm hair stuck in. One owner family friend piece that I got locally... oozes with charm.

Attachments

• IMG_8177.JPG
    IMG_8177.JPG
    556.8 KB · Views: 13

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
69882512-0119-42CB-98ED-E36D628FE456.jpeg
Saw one of these in a shop on vacation.
Decided to sleep on it; it was gone the next day.
Seems any Rolex in the four digit range is getting Hoovered up.