Double Dragon Gaiden: Rise of the Dragons

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member

Double Dragon Gaiden: Rise of the Dragons is coming to PC, PlayStation 4 & 5, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch this summer from Modus Games.

Last edited:

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Double Dragon character designs used to be influenced by Fist of the North Star. We've basically reached the point where the series is a self-parody.

Also noticing mission selection and money/shops (gotta have grinding so the newbies feel like they "got enough hours" lol). Hope there's a traditional mode that skips all that nonsense, but whatever.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Mao bless Technos. It's too bad the DD games, and any game they made for that matter, never found a way to keep up with the times past the NES era (inb4 The Kid mentions Double Dragon Advance, which came out 10...no, 20 years ago, FUCK).

Did you guys like DD Neon? Wonder what Wayforward is up to nowadays.

Jeneki is right about the FOTNS influence, which was very obvious in DD Advance. The PC-Engine DD had cutscenes where Billy Lee looked straight up like Kenshiro.

zaneiken

Zero's Tailor
10 Year Member
Did you guys like DD Neon? Wonder what Wayforward is up to nowadays.
I put quite a few hours into that, but it didn't really feel like Double Dragon at all. I know some guys who loved the shit out of it though.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member

I'm interested but not sure I'm feeling the art direction.

Reactions: wyo

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Ugh, that art style is terrible, cutesy bullshit. Double Dragon should look badass like an 80s B movie or anime, that looks like it's for 5 year olds.

People who weren't there for it, I feel like they mistake "retro" for childish. When it was anything but - even with crude gfx, we knew the vibe of what we were getting. Double Dragon was never cute or childish - it was gritty and mean.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
People who weren't there for it, I feel like they mistake "retro" for childish. When it was anything but - even with crude gfx, we knew the vibe of what we were getting. Double Dragon was never cute or childish - it was gritty and mean.
Yup, that's the reason the cover art and manuals had such kick ass art.
v9egzc722nd81.jpg
That's what DD should look like.

tDRG

n00b
Doesn't look terrible, Arc System publishing. Never heard of Modus games, their catalog looks pretty generic.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Looks like it would make a decent mobile game. Full price console release seems a little overconfident.

Besides the questionable art direction, the voice acting is obnoxious.

tDRG

n00b
Besides the questionable art direction, the voice acting is obnoxious.
Definitely a "try it if it's free on PlayStation Plus" kinda game, or at the very least pick it up when it's heavily discounted if it reviews well. Yeah, I hope that can be turned off.

sirlynxalot

Genjuro's Frog
Fagit of the Year
What about battle toads and double dragon.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
lol they transformed the MATIN garage sign into a character. What's next, a top hat wearing englishman with a tear tattoo for the English Tea R. sign?

The art is cool but doesn't match the source material IMO. Even the weird Naxat PC Engine port understood the HNK inspiration and brought it over to the anime cutscenes.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
It's a weird style. Like a cross between River City Ransom and Mighty Final Fight.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Just awful on the art style and presentation, maybe gameplay will save it.

Neon was ok, but didn't really feel like Double Dragon.

Double Dragon Advance was great.

The series has been dead for a long time.