Weekly Roundup

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
PS4

Horizon Chase Zero- It's alright, definitely worth the $5 but it's no Outrun 2. It's too wannabe retro for it's own good, a little too generic to stand on it's own.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I've gotten to a point in FFII where I really have to grind in a specific way to increase my characters' HP. It's really annoying but I'm more than halfway through, so...

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
At least you're not some hipster who immediately quits when you have to grind. Still sucks when you have to do it to get by a boss.

fake

15 Year Member
At least you're not some hipster who immediately quits when you have to grind. Still sucks when you have to do it to get by a boss.
Yeah, you pretty much have to attack your own party members to improve your HP and defense.

fake

15 Year Member
GBA - FF II
I'm 18 hours in. I just finished a tower and now you can't even go into most towns, so I'm assuming the end is near. These dungeons are brutal. I might need to take an RPG break after this.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Trojan - early Capcom game before Capcom found their groove. Piston Takashi's first game at Capcom, which was like a spiritual successor of Kung Fu Master. Maybe that's why it's called Trojan, because KFM in Japan is Spartan X. Anyways, really frustrating and not fun. More interesting to see how this game would eventually lead to the first Street Fighter.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
Trojan - early Capcom game before Capcom found their groove. Piston Takashi's first game at Capcom, which was like a spiritual successor of Kung Fu Master. Maybe that's why it's called Trojan, because KFM in Japan is Spartan X. Anyways, really frustrating and not fun. More interesting to see how this game would eventually lead to the first Street Fighter.

Damn I need to play this again. I haven't played it in forever, but remember seeing it my local pizza joint alongside Black Tiger.

For me it's been MiSTer Street Fighter Alpha 2: I discovered that in the alternatives folder all the other roms are hanging out. I've been focusing on the game pretty heavily the last few months so now I think I'm going to branch out and try to get into Super Turbo or Alpha 3 a bit more.

@fake: I just recently playing Final Fantasy II on the Steam Deck (Pixel Remake) and even with all of the improvements the dungeons are such a slog. I agree with you - I think I'm now just done with FFII. I played it on the GBA and now the Pixel Remake and I'm not sure I'll ever pick it up again. I can't imagine the Famicom version is good. Please give us an update on how it's going.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Damn I need to play this again. I haven't played it in forever, but remember seeing it my local pizza joint alongside Black Tiger.
I'm glad I played through and beat it for the first time but the game has very little to zero charm. Some little touches would have went a long way, but this was an early Capcom game before they figured out what their fans liked.

As a bonus, I swear one of the common enemies looks like the guy from Hokuto no Ken, the one who chases Rei and gets his arms sliced off.

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
Jet set radio HD - steamdeck,
i am loving this game, also looking forward to the homage coming out later this year.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member

The impending release of Firmament has got me finally playing Obduction (I was going to finish up Myst IV and V before touching it but I stalled out on IV at a puzzle that felt poorly integrated into the setting. Anyway.)

It’s pretty good. I’m cycling with desk pedals while I play so when I’m too stupid to progress at least I’m getting in better shape.

I may queue up a bunch of environmental puzzle games and make a habit out of this. You need to talk to me? Come in. I’m just training my body and mind in here. Preparing.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Advanced V.G. Saturn. Late 90s time warp.

Been feeling nostalgic for SunCoast Motion Picture Company, malls that had Arby’s in the food court that still served potato cakes, Clinton economy, fewer health problems.

Story mode is what’s up.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Gradius II - arcade. First time playing this, wow, now I get why so many people say this is their favorite Gradius. Such a big leap from the first game. This licks tits.

Gradius III - SNES. I loved the arcade port on PS2 in high school but never played the SNES one. The slowdown really helps make it manageable. Unfortunately I think II ruined III for me.
Spoiler:
IMG_20230514_083641.jpg

Super Contra - Arcade. I'm a Contra nut, but never liked this game on NES too much. The arcade original has lots of problems but after beating it I warmed up to it. The controls are floaty, but the weapon power up system not seen again until Contra 4 adds a lot of replay value. It's awesome seeing influences and music that would show up later in the series. I can see myself playing through it on my commute for another week. The intro licks tits.
Spoiler:
IMG_20230518_215241.jpg

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Still on a Neo binge, Robo Army (thumb down), NTM, Slugs, Puzzle Bobble, PB2, League Bowling, etc

I have a Ghostlop on the way from LS land. Second time I'll own the game as I sold the first and I'm finally taking care of a regret.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Finished Trails to Azure. Trails to Zero was already great, but this is just epic! 🤩

I played it but gave up on the final chapter where there was a sniper you couldn't attack and like 6 wolf dogs. I got overwhelmed and quit. Walkthroughs said to power up your CP meter and let loose. I'll still get Trails to Reverie, but won't have a save file.

Otherwise...
Switch
Advance Wars 1+2 - I like the new graphics and it looks like a kids game, but the gameplay is serious strategy. Lots of fun and can be challenging.
Tetris 99 - Always a fun time
Hades - Still can't beat it
Mario Party Superstars

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Been trying out that turn based RPG Honkai Star Rail. Just a few hours into the game, but it definitely has some interesting gameplay especially considering it's a freemium type game. Also, been addicted to Marvel Snap.

fake

15 Year Member
I finished Final Fantasy II (Dawn of Souls version) and clocked in at just over 24 hours.

Finished Fantasies: I, II, IV, VI, VII, X, XIII

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
5/29/23

Some games I’ve played the past couple of weeks

Switch

Andros Dunos II - Finally got around to beating the final boss. There is a boss rush mode after that and then two additional stages, good luck with that

Retro Bowl - Still my casual game to play. Reminds me of Tecmo Bowl

PS4
Star Wars Pod Racer - I have had some fun with this, I wish the Sega arcade game got included with this as well.

PS5
TMNT Shredders Revenge - Finally got around to opening this up

Analogue Pocket
Sonic Advance GBA - I was enjoying this then my save got corrupted so I need to restart it.

yoshi41

Crazed MVS Addict
Finished Trails to Azure. Trails to Zero was already great, but this is just epic! 🤩

I played it but gave up on the final chapter where there was a sniper you couldn't attack and like 6 wolf dogs. I got overwhelmed and quit. Walkthroughs said to power up your CP meter and let loose. I'll still get Trails to Reverie, but won't have a save file.

For the harder battles, all characters should have full CP and burst gauge should be full as well. Attack to activate burst, then spam arts/(s-)crafts and use Tio's s-craft "Zero Field" early. Speed up support crafts might help too. That should work, if characters are sufficiently leveled up. For longer battles, make sure you have enough CP restore dishes, to use s-crafts again.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
GBA
Pokemon FireRed - played this through when my wife was in labor and recovering for the first 2 weeks. Beat Gary and that's that.

Switch
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle - this game has no right to be as good as it is. On World 3, playing through battles and challenges in between feedings.

Arcade
Aero Fighters