Search results

1. aria

Oakland newscasters get duped:

You know that tragic crash that just happened at SFO, well... Missing the prank? No problem, here it is read aloud during the broadcast: [direct link for those without flash] And the apology: [direct link]
  2. aria

Happy Birthday Spoon & DolphinLord --both 33!

The forum update's thrown the Birthday feature out the window (temporarily at least), but Happy Birthday to two guys who have been here for a long time. Here's to semi-secret clubs!
  3. aria

The most spectacular broken water main footage I have ever seen:

[direct link to the video] It took one hour to shut this off. Here's a local news report, the whole thing is worth reading. Insurance or not, that's going to be a fun lawsuit for quantifying damages.
  4. aria

John McAfee is back and here to tell you how to uninstall McAfee:

It seems his lawyers have kept all those annoying charges of drug trafficking and possible murder off his back so he could make this video that's been making the rounds this morning. This was good enough that I thought it would work outside the Longest Thread. [direct video link for those...
  5. aria

The New Fitness thread

Paging Average Joe, Spike, et al. Open thread: whatever level or experience, this forum has all levels of expertise. Whatever your goals: shedding points, feeling better, or even swole acceptance.
  6. aria

Idiot presses panic button: LAPD confronts Call of Duty 'Ghost' statue in tense standoff

When I first read the headline, I assume the LAPD had a Boston-Mooninite kind of scare (which, in light of the Marathon bombing, isn't as funny as it was then). But the article paints them in a better light: apparently an independent game studio in LA got a realistic-looking COD statue: And...
  7. aria

True Facts About The Naked Mole Rat

[Direct link] If you're unfamiliar with this series, you can now waste an afternoon.
  8. aria

Google's Earth Engine lets you see ~30 year time lapses of Sat map photos

It takes a little bit to load, but the results are fascinating. Here's a gif made of the Vegas version: Osaka, Japan (watch the artificial islands form) http://earthengine.google.org/#timelapse/v=34.65925,135.28491,10,latLng&t=1.32 The alteration of the Dubai coast...
  9. aria

Jeff Bridge's panoramic set photos

In the 80s, Jeff Bridge's wife got him a Widelux panoramic camera, so he started taking photos of the movie sets he worked on. Here are a few of the photos with links to more and through that a link to the book he made of them all. True Grit: Tron: The Fabulous Baker Boys (I like this one...
  10. aria

Are you age 25? Are you older?

Check this out: Assuming you live to age 77, each dot represents the weeks left in your life. If you're older--no problem! Just tear off some rows as they each represent years. I'm picturing an office conversation where someone who's 25 prints it out and offers to put it on their...
  11. aria

Texans vs. Surströmming

I first heard about Surströmming when Andrew Zimmern took Bizarre Foods to DC's Embassy Row and the Swedish Ambassador invited him to the roof deck of the embassy to partake in this local delicacy. There was a reason they picked the roof, as these unwitting guys soon find out. If you know about...
  12. aria

Criminal face tattoos are getting popular

[potential fashion alert for Waseem] Okay, one of the local stations where I grew up has been updating a county most-wanted list every week and I've become a fan simply because of the proliferation of facial tattoos among criminals. Not just the Latin gangs (which arguably popularized them)...
  13. aria

Good Video of Exxon Oil Spill in Arkansas neighborhood (not April Fools): Thanks Canada!

This was an older pipeline (not the Keystone XL that's been in the news): [Direct link] Thanks Obama...
  14. aria

April Fools' Day 2013: Central Repository Thread

Google, which will no doubt have more pranks today, just rolled out a "Treasure Map" view on Google Maps. Also, YouTube is shutting down after finishing their 8 year long video contest: [direct link]
  15. aria

This article is nuts

Buzz Bissinger, the Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist and author, best known for his non-fiction book Friday Night Lights, just had this piece published in GQ and... well... http://www.gq.com/news-politics/newsmakers/201304/buzz-bissinger-shopaholic-gucci-addiction?printable=true Some people...
  16. aria

So Vinh _did_ talk to SNK about DavidG:

Just to catch-up on backstory: when the AF3/PSII drama was breaking out, Vinh Trieu (owner of Arcade Shock) was very skeptical of their authenticity and of DavidG's story in general. Vinh used to visit the Torrance offices of SNK a lot while in college and has even met E. Kawasaki during one of...
  17. aria

2 years after the Japanese earthquake/tsunami: The Yakuza role in helping the victims

March 11, 2011, as it's referenced sometimes: 3/11 Jake Adelstein, a noted reporter on the Yakuza and other areas of Japanese crime, wrote a chapter about for an upcoming book on the tragedy, "Reconstructing 3/11". Adelstein is not a romantic about the Yakuza, and as such his writing does a...
  18. aria

Fookin' Prawns...

Actually, worse than Prawns: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21365961 At least it wasn't Medicine Murder, it was just Ritual Murder... :spock:
  19. aria

Dashcam thread (or why I will never drive with Mikhail)

Instead of making new threads for each piece of spectacular Russian footage, I figured it might be nice to have one thread to reference and bump as necessary. [EDIT: On later posts: I usually put the more "WTF" items at the top when I post several videos, more typical--but solid--crashes go...
  20. aria

Forget garden gnomes, it's the time for lawn dinosaurs:

Seems to good to relegate to the Longest Thread in the War Room. This was a series of photos posted on Reddit, the guy would dress it up for the holidays: It's in Redwood City, Dug the Dinosaur has an official FB fan page: http://www.facebook.com/DugTheTRex Here's where he bought...