1/13/11...The day Skynet went live and doomed us all.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Jeopardy would probably work pretty well for a robot.

Since the key to Jeopardy is in word association more than anything else....

Half the time, I find myself blurting out the answer before I fully understand the question.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Jeopardy would probably work pretty well for a robot.

Since the key to Jeopardy is in word association more than anything else....

Half the time, I find myself blurting out the answer before I fully understand the question.

Yeah, I don't think most people understand that the best way to search your brain for the answer is by zoning in on the context clue as quickly as possible.

aria

Former Moderator

I think it would be more awesome if they skipped empathy and just went to making them empathic in the Star Trek Betazoid sense.

Human Dave: "Here's the motor oil you were asking for, master."

Robot Overlord: "I can sense you're angry at me."

Human Dave: "No you can't. You're just messing with me. You can't know what I'm thinking."

Robot Overlord: "Now you're trying to prove that I can't predict your thoughts by thinking about the naked body of Jenny, that girl you dated in college and wish you'd hadn't dumped now that you realize she was the best sex you'd ever had in your life."

Human Dave: "GET OUT OF MY MIIIINNNNND!"

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Yeah, I don't think most people understand that the best way to search your brain for the answer is by zoning in on the context clue as quickly as possible.

The best strategy is that when the categories are first read, you front load your brain with as many possible answers as quickly as you can.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I think it would be more awesome if they skipped empathy and just went to making them empathic in the Star Trek Betazoid sense.

Human Dave: "Here's the motor oil you were asking for, master."

Robot Overlord: "I can sense you're angry at me."

Human Dave: "No you can't. You're just messing with me. You can't know what I'm thinking."

Robot Overlord: "Now you're trying to prove that I can't predict your thoughts by thinking about the naked body of Jenny, that girl you dated in college and wish you'd hadn't dumped now that you realize she was the best sex you'd ever had in your life."

Human Dave: "GET OUT OF MY MIIIINNNNND!"

:lolz:

Seems like a conversation that might happen in an episode of Futurama.

ironish

Dodgeball Yakuza
I'm not surprised at all. If the database was big enough and the voice software good enough, then I would expect Watson to ring in first and get the answers correct eveery time just like a calculator will always do math quicker than any person could.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
And for fucks sake did ANYONE remotely think a human could beat a factoid regurgitation machine? I mean if it lost to a human jeopardy cham the programmers should all hang their heads in shame.

I don't think Deep Blue had a perfect record...

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
The best strategy is that when the categories are first read, you front load your brain with as many possible answers as quickly as you can.

Yeah, that's exactly what I do. A lot of the time, I can come up with the Final Jeopardy answer just from the category. It happened this week actually. The category was Modern Art and I guessed Jackson Pollock immediately. :lolz:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Yeah, that's exactly what I do. A lot of the time, I can come up with the Final Jeopardy answer just from the category. It happened this week actually. The category was Modern Art and I guessed Jackson Pollock immediately. :lolz:

Fuck you,

I was going for Dali....

But got the Pollock right when they read the question.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
the voice recognition is amazing. Color me impressed as well.
Having it sound like Hal is just the icing on the scary as shit cake

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
I don't think Deep Blue had a perfect record...

It doesn't. If you watch that video Nes posted, it shows that confidence level drops the longer it answers question so it becomes more unsure of itself after a while.

And I don't think it really sounds like Hal. It's too robotic whereas Hal was smooth and eerie sounding.

aria

Former Moderator
I agree with the IBM guy who would like a computer like the Star Trek computer.

I want to walk around my house and be able to ask:

"Computer: when the hell is this snow going to stop"

"Approximately 5:30pm. I am always honored to serve you, sire."

[I love these tweaking the personalization features]

aria

Former Moderator
The next step is making computers more inquisitive --they should ask questions to fill in data sets.

Compy: "Pardon my intrusion, Master, but what is my purpose in existence?"
Human: "404 not found, bitch."
Compy: "You're messing with me, aren't you?"
Human: "I think of it as sweet revenge on your great, great grandfather."

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member

Well, that's an emotion recognition system but I guess there's only a small step from electronically recognizing emotions to letting computers mimick them.

I can already see a bright future ahead for us. "hey boss, sorry, can't send you that calculation right now, my comp's miffy and she refuses to cooperate with the printer who called her fat"...

Emotional computers are like human-like robots - academically interesting projects but nothing that should be developed past prototype stage, anything else would make things unnecessarily complicated.

aria

Former Moderator
The secret ingredient is... love?

EDIT: for good measure:
After evaluating millions of pieces of data in the blink of an eye, the Gamble-Tron 2000 says the winner is... Cincinnati by 200 points!? Why, you worthless hunk of junk.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Computers don't actually have to become self aware or anything like that to take over humanity dominance over earth. All it takes is for the invention of a mimetic alternative that is more attractive to people than another genuine member of the opposite gender. After all, even pheromones are just chemicals that can be synthesized by the bulk in a factory.

Don't believe me? Ask Master Tasuke. XD

Zenimus

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
Working around computers that stall and crash all day, I'd have to say that humanity isn't going anywhere anytime soon. They're like that crazy math wiz we all knew in school: great with numbers, terrible at everything else.