1 man, 30,000 games

Darren870

Previously Lusted for Lard
I know Joe is married....

but in my personal life i never really cared. I've dated a lot of hot chicks and they never seemed to mind. I even worked at EB games and picked up some girls when working there.

Its all about the personality. Normal girls will overlook the video game shit fast, or even enjoy playing a few games.

I mean im not insane like some people are, but i do have a lot of video games.

Then again i also don't look like a gamer at all, so that might help break the ice.

Last edited:

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
Am I the only one here that loves video games, but is embarrassed by video gamers? I feel bad for this guy, because you know that there's one thing he just can't seem to collect... and that's vaginas. I love gaming (I mean, I fucking love it) but I sort of hide it in "real life". Sure, go to my basement and I'm fucked since there's a shit load of games down there, but beyond that I don't.... I don't know... I don't advertise to people how much it really means to me. Anyone else?

I know Joe is married....

but in my personal life i never really cared. I've dated a lot of hot chicks and they never seemed to mind. I even worked at EB games and picked up some girls when working there.

Its all about the personality. Normal girls will overlook the video game shit fast, or even enjoy playing a few games.

I mean im not insane like some people are, but i do have a lot of video games.

Then again i also don't look like a gamer at all, so that might help break the ice.

Yeah, I was about to say Joe's happily married and loves his job.

I never really cared if anyone thought a hobby of mine was nerdy or geeky. Throughout the years I've collected stuff that would probably have me considered a candidate to the Nerd Hall of Fame (Star Wars, Comics, Video Games). That kind of thinking in which someone hides a favorite pastime is pretty sad. Never in my life have I cared what another person thinks of me. It's a characteristic that I've projected in high school, military, and currently as I type. As LustForLard, I've had my share of women from grammar school onto the present. Hell..my fiancee still tries to bust my balls because of some of the girls I've been with. It wasn't because they were whores or anything, it was because they were waaaaay too vain. My hobbies have never made me anti-social nor has it ever alienated me from girls. You'd be surprised at some of the parties I've been to in NYC (Pascha, Exit, Avalon) and what went on back then. Maybe it's because I'm not the sterotypical, pocket protector wearing, Urkel looking, persona that comes with this hobby. The statement about keeping it out of 'real life' reminds me of someone that lives a certain lifestyle and hides his or her true self (kind of like high school-afterschool special drama). To each their own I say.

Regardless, I do hope that this elevates business for Joe at the store and perhaps it may help acheive a position within the collection appraisal community. Maybe they'll ask him to evaluate items in the future, or perhaps they wont and life goes on.

It's all about what makes you happy.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I never got why some of you people are so concerned about not "getting vagina" due to excessive vg collecting/playing/whatever. I'm a video gamer through and through and I'm married to a nice girl, have lots of friends/social contacts, own a house and a cat and don't live in anyone's basement. So... yeah, I'm "getting laid" several times a week but I still have more games than your average Joe Blow... who would've thought! :eek::tickled:

A girl or woman who drops a guy just because he has a certain hobby or posters of video game characters hanging on his wall is not worth shit anyway, period. Real friendship and love doesn't stop with superficial bullshit like that.

I really loathe these tired and old gamer stereotypes, we're not in the bloody 80s anymore, you know.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
I agree with Tak. I don't exactly go around advertising my gaming hobby to strangers but if its brought up I don't shy away from talking about it. Its a hobby like any other, only now its more socially acceptable than ever before. No reason to be ashamed of it.

Now if its all you talk about all the time, then you might have a problem. But I think most people here can probably resist the urge to talk about that awesome Third Strike combo video they just saw at the next cock tail party they go to.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
But I think most people here can probably resist the urge to talk about that awesome Third Strike combo video they just saw at the next cock tail party they go to.

If that does happen, give that person more alcohol:)

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Am I the only one here that loves video games, but is embarrassed by video gamers? I feel bad for this guy, because you know that there's one thing he just can't seem to collect... and that's vaginas. I love gaming (I mean, I fucking love it) but I sort of hide it in "real life". Sure, go to my basement and I'm fucked since there's a shit load of games down there, but beyond that I don't.... I don't know... I don't advertise to people how much it really means to me. Anyone else?

I feel exactly the same. Sure I'm pretty open about it to my girlfriend, she enjoys the odd Puzzle Bobble game now and then. But to the people I work with or anyone else for that matter, I'm pretty much reluctant to mention my obessive interest in video games.

Everytime I get a package delivered to work which is usually games or something electronic, I try to hide it or put it away before many people go "hey what's that?" , It's really hard to explain and be confident about it. It's embarrassing. Especially when everyone else on the floor pretty much isn't interested in them.

That guy might have 30k games but I sure as hell don't see any girl by his side.

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I can't imagine owning 30K games. At my peak I probably owned around 150.

That Punch Out cab is awesome.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member

I've been extremely embarrassed/ashamed about it since I was a kid. Back then it was viewed as a nerdy hobby (whereas today I guess it's viewed by the general public as something guys do to relax?), and since the only thing I did besides school and soccer was video games, well...
Yeah. I guess that's just stuck with me my whole life. For many years I'd even go to as great lengths as to hide all my video games when someone was coming over.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member

I think it's funny how everybody here acts like they're too cool to be nerds. Get over your insecurity and off your high horse.. Be yourself - who gives a shit. That's one of the reasons I've been spending less time here and more @ GAF lately. Maybe because most people here are johnny come latelys who bought all their shit when they struck it rich in their yuppie jobs.

I'm in gaming for the long haul and have always been into it for years, so it's just a part of me, and if I look and act like a nerd, so be it. I don't give a shit.

I see your last sentence though... I don't get all teary-eyed and sentimental about it.

I don't spend a whole lot of time @ Digitalpress though - only when I'm really bored. Their discussions aren't as interesting and more collector-centric. There's also a lot of angsty, crusty Atari generation dudes there.

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member

I've always wore my hobbies on my sleeve. Bitd I was "that" guy who was into the stupid Chinese [ahem... Japanese I kept correcting them] Cartoons, and who knew about, watched and collected obscure movies, books, and was always getting into trouble for thinking outside the box and circumventing school policies and even the law... but never nothing could stick, no trial dates, nothing. By the time Junior High School (middle school) rolled around, it wasn't chic to be a 13 year old playing video games, so me and my crew [other dorks] would jump out of bushes and yell "ALL YOU GET!" and do a dragon punch to random people, actually hitting them and run off... because we honestly thought Ryu was yelling "All you get!" [Go listen to how it's said in the first SF2 game, it does sound like All You Get]

Flashfoward to now. I'm a thirty year old security enforcement officer who doesn't take shit but tries to be polite, but direct. I'm a father and husband, don't take handouts and work my ass off... but to see me you'd say, as Neo Alec put it in the picture thread: DAMN, that's the toughest looking dork/nerd I've ever seen. Because even on that note I bucked the trend. I'm a gun guy with skills comparable to a SWAT operator, have my own fighting principle of CQC mixed from 5 differing MAs... drive like a maniac, fuck like a fiend, and don't have a problem laying the smack down when neccessary. BUT I'M A SELF ADMITTED NERD! Always have been always will be.

Off duty I ride my 1983 BMX "RAD" Mongoose Californian, dress in shorts and black Airwalks, and sport BMX shirts and/or custom video games T-shirts that are airbrushed the size of the front of the shirt of PULSEMAN, Metal Slug, Shock Troopers, Jackal, Ninja Warriors etc, complimented with my signature Texas Thunder Gun Range hat and some clip on polarized shades over my regular glasses. Video gaming, guns and BMX is what I represent at thirty years old, and I'm damn proud of it. Sometimes I alternate a para-military pair of TDU pants as well. MY POINT IN ALL THIS... simple. *I can see what you're saying Spike, but I personally don't give a fig what ppl think. I spent enough time being a little too macho for about a decade, and I've returned to just having fun and looking like a mish/mash of this and that.

aria

Former Moderator

Boy does that sound embarrassing coming from someone whose time here and own life should've caused him to know better.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
"Normal Vagina"

:lolz:

on topic.

I've never had lots of games, but I've been gaming all of my life, and I do keep up with certain companies' output. Nintendo, Id Software, etc... and I may be, and probably am, dysfunctional and insecure in many other things, but I've never been 'discriminated against' because of gaming.

I simply do not get the imo illusionary social stigma, sure, you can go overboard with anything but that's a whole other story imo.

Praise the Lard

Sieger's Squire
I watched this video last night before going to bed. I had terrible nightmares. I don't know what else to say.. I just don't know..

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I can't imagine owning 30K games. At my peak I probably owned around 150.

That Punch Out cab is awesome.

Agreed, at most I owned about 180. I now own 30 games. :p

P.S. - Where the hell you been, Magna?

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I've been into this hobby for almost 30 years, and I have maybe hundreds of games.

About a year ago, I sold off a bunch of stuff I knew I wouldn't play anymore.

I used to be a collector, but I couldn't do it now and don't really understand it like I did.

Darren870

I watched this video last night before going to bed. I had terrible nightmares. I don't know what else to say.. I just don't know..

Your name is very similar to mine...which is kinda creepy since there isn't that many Pig fans in the world.

Darren870

I've been into this hobby for almost 30 years, and I have maybe hundreds of games.

About a year ago, I sold off a bunch of stuff I knew I wouldn't play anymore.

I used to be a collector, but I couldn't do it now and don't really understand it like I did.

I did the same recently. Used to have about 1200 games. Maybe have 400 now. I have so many games i haven't played.

Recently I've been beating games and asking myself if I will every play the game again. Most of the times is a no so I just sell it.

I had a complete Dreamcast collection ... sold almost half.

Its a process but I really don't need that many games.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Joe's a really nice guy. His store is top notch and it's what all of the other game stores SHOULD be like. He has just about everything and if he doesn't he'll try to get it for you.

With Neo-Geo's he's got some MVS games, not sure if their for sale, but he does have AES games and the store has two MVS units, a 2 slot big red and a converted one. One has fighters and the other always has MD2 and Puzzle Bobble.

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member

This is really is just such a shit attitude.

If you're embarrassed by owning/playing video games, maybe you should move on to a new hobby.

The way I figure is if you enjoy something, it shouldn't be a big deal what other people think. If they think anything bad, then tell them to go fuck themselves. I stopped caring a long time ago what anyone thinks because I really enjoy games...I'm not going to not do something I like because I'm afraid of what random people or girls think.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
@Spike and Dangerous:

I think what Spike means is - in general his hobbies don't come out. I'm a bit more forward with games that music/books/movies, etc, but I still enjoy them. There are simply other things that better represent our sense of self than what we own/our hobbies/pop culture.

Edit: "One woman - 30 games"

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member
@Spike and Dangerous:

I think what Spike means is - in general his hobbies don't come out. I'm a bit more forward with games that music/books/movies, etc, but I still enjoy them. There are simply other things that better represent our sense of self than what we own/our hobbies/pop culture.

Edit: "One woman - 30 games"

Well I don't announce my hobby of video games to people, but not because I'm afraid of what they think. If it comes up in the course of conversation, I don't hide it. I just don't really care much to discuss games with the average mainstream gamer since it's inevitably going to focus on stuff like Madden and so forth. Not to mention most of them have no idea about anything before maybe this generation or the PS2.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member

Yeah. Outside of me and my roomate, I don't think anybody else in my life knows I play games. It's kind of funny, because we're both huge into world of warcraft, and we can be driving somewhere talking about a raid, quest, or some sort of loot, and the moment we hit a store or another friends house, the conversation just dies right then and there. Even if we're grabbing a quick bite to eat and pulling up in the drive through, before we hit the window it can sound like this: "..yeah and this asshole hunter selected need an-shutupshutupshutup here they come"

Last edited:

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Walk into the midnight release of a blockbuster title and take a good look at the people you're surrounded by and you'll have all the reason in the world to not openly and freely discuss your gaming nerd affinities.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Walk into the midnight release of a blockbuster title and take a good look at the people you're surrounded by and you'll have all the reason in the world to not openly and freely discuss your gaming nerd affinities.

ha that is amost exactly what my old man used to tell me.
bigfish said:
When you are at a party and somebody offers you pot, take a good look at the people you're surrounded by and you'll have all the reason in the world to decline.

Old man is wise.