12 years after 9/11

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
Is the USA safer? What's is everyone's opinion regarding terrorism today as a whole, both in the US and globally?

Discuss....

Last edited:

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
Safer? Well, it could be a hell of a lot worse I'm sure.

I'm just enjoying life until the cheap oil runs dry and all hell breaks loose across the globe.

For now...life is good. Too bad it won't always be that way.

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
Safer? Well, it could be a hell of a lot worse I'm sure.

I'm just enjoying life until the cheap oil runs dry and all hell breaks loose across the globe.

It's all about a tank of juice!
H5.jpg

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Security protocols have gotten better. Hard to judge on whether its truly safer or not. Quite a few terrorist attempts have been squashed so publicly it appears as though things are safer.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
In the pursuit of terrorists, the government has become more dangerous on a daily basis as far as the general public is concerned.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member

You said it better than I could have, and in many less words. Life is good for now, until the next REAL war, which will likely be over oil and/or clean water.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
No, the country is not safer and that is a direct result of the actions of the American government.

I've never feared that terrorists were going to harm me. The probability of such an event happening is extremely small. The attacks of September 11 represent the worst possible outcome that a terrorist group could realistically achieve. They got 3000 people, and while that's tragic, there are over 314 Million Americans alive today. That's not enough of a percentage for me to be afraid of shit.

Like Lithy I'm deeply troubled by the direction of the US Government but also like Magican I'm just trying to live the best life I can. My standard of living is absurdly high compared to the rest of the world. We're so fucking spoiled it's almost absurd to ask "Are we safe?"

bradtemple87

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
Today is my dads birthday, sot that is all I talked about of personal importance

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
i was given a truth about 9/11 dvd on the street today. Can't wait to bust a 6 pack open and check that out.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
i was given a truth about 9/11 dvd on the street today. Can't wait to bust a 6 pack open and check that out.

Dude on 9/10/2001 I watched a documentary on the crash of that one airline in Florida where the prevailing "conspiracy" theory was that it had been shot down by a US launched missile. The documentary purported that theory, that it MAY have been shot down.

That was a weird ass coincidence, especially considering I watched that documentary in a class (I had a teacher who while great at what he did, harbored some "out there" beliefs) and then watched 9/11 unfold on television in school (was my senior year in HS.) I'm pretty sure I watched the second plane hit on TV and I recall when the reports of the attack on the pentagon rolled in.

I did watch the towers collapse.

Uh anyway, have fun with that DVD, LOL. Hope it doesn't kill off too much of your brain.

Last edited:

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
if someone doesn't like somebody else how can anyone be 'safe'? well if the first someone doesn't care too much about the specifics of the somebody else they intend to harm anyhow. so you can't have shampoo and stuff whoopdedoo a determined organization couldn't find 8 guys who could take a plane completely unarmed? why not because they are scared of being arrested, apparently they are not scared of dying?? so how can you be protected from something of that sort? by driving through checkpoints and being x rayed(not just at the airport) of course! Sure.

meh. though

its not like the 'terrorists' have really ever gotten their shit together enough to fuck up large populations of people better than actual governments have done before.

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
No, the country is not safer and that is a direct result of the actions of the American government.

Like Lithy I'm deeply troubled by the direction of the US Government but also like Magican I'm just trying to live the best life I can.
Today is simply yet another yearly reminder to "Never Forget"...a phrase that is so utterly ridiculous and really nothing more than a convenient excuse to re-air the same footage over and over, or broadcast overtly hollow gestures:

W8n2ZDr.jpg

hokBNUc.jpg

I did find an article on the topic that didn't make me roll my eyes quite so much though:

http://rudepundit.blogspot.com/2013/09/911-cant-ever-atone-for-sins-of-others.html

Life is short, always has been. We should all just live our lives and search for happiness.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
In retrospect, if it happened a few blocks over and the Wall Street got demolished instead, things might have had a very different turn out today.

Castor Troy

The Esfinter that theMot Chupame's
Feel safer from any foreign attacks.
I don't feel safer from gun nut freaks (Usually a scared white man afraid the government will take his guns away).

Keep in mind, I'm for US citizens having the right to bear arms, but these extremist scare me more than any Muslim extremist.

Fuzzytaco

Long Dong Silver.,
10 Year Member
I am now more wary of the bearded day laborers in front of the local Home Depot. I got my eye on you El Queda.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
To question safety from terrorists in the US isn't really necessary. I haven't looked it up but I'd imagine more people die from choking on their dog's cocks than from terrorists on US soil.

Unless you live in the Gaza Strip you can pretty much ignore all terrorism and just get on with the unparalleled comfort and ease of modern day life.

Silky.

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
The US is and has been, uh ...safer, from a major terrorist attack since 9/12. It's the jack-in-the-box principle, now indulge me here: a 2 year old dies from eating a Jack in the Box hamburger made from beef tainted with E-coli bacteria in 1993. It's a huge national news story, and most everyone is afraid to eat at Jack in the Box for months afterwards. I said then that Jack in the Box hamburgers were the safest hamburgers, because Jack in the Box wants to stay in business.

After the insane video spectacle of 9-11, committing a successful terrorist attack in the US became MUCH more difficult. And after 9-11 it wasn't just the Government that was hyper-alert, it was everyone in the country.

Today we are likely less safe than the first few years after 9-11, but it isn't just because we have made more angry terrorists. It's because our level of alertness goes down as time passes since Sept. 11, 2001.

We had our pants down at the end of the halcyon days of the tech-booming Clinton years, plain and simple. When most Americans are relatively content, we are less afraid and stressed- our kids are listening to shittier music and we are statistically less safe from terrorist attacks.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
We're probably less safe.

The 9/11 attacks happened because the US government cannot stay the fuck out of the business of Middle Eastern countries. If anything, more people in the Middle East hate us now than did then. We've had over a decade of perpetual war in the region since then. Two major conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan, but also many other armed conflicts fought by the US or groups directly funded/supplied/supported by the US (drone strikes in at least six countries we know of, US government has been backing Syrian rebels for years, etc). Not to mention the pissing contest proxy war with Iran, our role in the ongoing Libyan drama, Pakistani relations, Isreal/Palestine, etc.

There are probably tons more people actively seeking to do America harm now than the were before these wars started for the simple fact that tons more people have had their personal situations made worse by the US's actions (whether intentionally or out of misguided or misinformed altruism).