161 in 1 Multicart Question

Iconoclast12

New Challenger
What's the difference between this..

And what's being sold on aliexpress or ebay. Besides the artwork, what's the difference?

Facts would be great, not opinions. Are they doing something different than the Chinese or are they both being made in the same way with the same parts? What are you getting by going this route? Game list is the same, so it comes down to build quality and stability.

Does anyone have any experience with both?

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I believe the Neostore has the ones made by their creator while the others are knockoffs.

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
Neostore 161-in-1 is made in Canada. Original product & Quality, instead of Chinese crap copy.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The Chinese versions came first and have been updated more recently. The Neostore ones come from the same dude who made the fake Aerofighters 3 carts and was originally priced before Aliexpress started making home versions of the carts. They're only bought by rubes.

Iconoclast12

New Challenger
The Chinese versions came first and have been updated more recently. The Neostore ones come from the same dude who made the fake Aerofighters 3 carts and was originally priced before Aliexpress started making home versions of the carts. They're only bought by rubes.
So rubes only buy the Neostore cart or the Chinese carts? :LOL::ROFLMAO:

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
So rubes only buy the Neostore cart or the Chinese carts? :LOL::ROFLMAO:
It would be interesting to know if the pricey ones in the Neostore work any better. They're all boots anyway, regardless of where they're from.

Iconoclast12

New Challenger
It would be interesting to know if the pricey ones in the Neostore work any better. They're all boots anyway, regardless of where they're from.
I'd imagine they're all being made the same way.. I can't imagine the guy in Canada is doing some kind of black magic when making his, but I'd have a feeling the parts would be better possibly? I can tell you this much.. I've purchased homebrew/repro carts for SNES, NES, Genesis before from both the US and from China, and I've noticed literally no difference between them.. People always complain about how horrible Chinese stuff is and it's absolute crap and blah blah, but yet I've noticed literally no difference between the US and Chinese carts for other systems.. In fact, I'd be willing to bet money on it that the US sellers selling homebrew/repro carts are probably bulk ordering their games or parts from China and then making the stuff and claiming it's "higher quality" because an Americans hands made it...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Yet there's no evidence or facts to be presented to say that the US carts are truly higher quality than what's being shipped from China..

In all honesty, I've actually had some instances of US homebrew carts that were made more poorly and had more issues than ones I've purchased from China..

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Neostore 161-in-1 is made in Canada. Original product & Quality, instead of Chinese crap copy.

…”original”…in what way? It’s a pirate cart, not the first, not the last. I don’t see anything original about it in any way. Is it not “original” until a westerner does it?

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Just go for the one that has the best artwork.

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
…”original”…in what way? It’s a pirate cart, not the first, not the last. I don’t see anything original about it in any way. Is it not “original” until a westerner does it?

not legal cart ? really, don't buy :LOL:

Last edited:

skall22300

n00b
I got mine from AliXP and I have to admit a few of the roms are litteraly broken but on overall it s working very well. I am not disappointed by the product itself but maybe by the choice of some of the games tho

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member

And what's being sold on aliexpress or ebay. Besides the artwork, what's the difference?

@Shawn ban this motherfucker claiming the neostore does not offer fantastic value for money.

Point in case, this PAL 50hz AES console with an outter box riddled with bulletholes and held together with parcel tape for just $1499. https://www.neostore.com/PAL-220V-Neo-Geo-AES-console-system-boxed-p/569.htm

metouto

n00b

Facts would be great, not opinions. Are they doing something different than the Chinese or are they both being made in the same way with the same parts? What are you getting by going this route? Game list is the same here, so it comes down to build quality and stability.

Does anyone have any experience with both?
I am wondering if it would be possible to reverse engineer the 161 in 1 cartridge. they are cheap, but the game list is not incredible. so the idea would be to be able to understand how it works and replace some of the games with better ones... any idea if it has already been done ? maybe it is called the Multi MVS... any idea where to begin with?

Claudia Schiffer

back to basics
15 Year Member
I am wondering if it would be possible to reverse engineer the 161 in 1 cartridge. they are cheap, but the game list is not incredible. so the idea would be to be able to understand how it works and replace some of the games with better ones... any idea if it has already been done ? maybe it is called the Multi MVS... any idea where to begin with?
why? just use one of the flash cart solutions, use an emulator, or use it as is.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Those 161/1 type carts would be far more interesting if they weren't jammed full of hack trash.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
why? just use one of the flash cart solutions, use an emulator, or use it as is.

Those Ali express 161 in 1 carts are way cheaper than the flash carts.

Would be nice if someone actually just put the whole Neo library on one cartridge.

Claudia Schiffer

back to basics
15 Year Member

Would be nice if someone actually just put the whole Neo library on one cartridge.
i know, they are cheap for a reason. i guess i question the motive to do all this. if it's just to learn and figure things out, knock yourself out. if OP just wants to play the games, there are better ways to start playing the games.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member

The link Neo Alec posted above is interesting because there probably IS a way to repurpose this, it's just too fucking annoying (even that thread devolved into "any news? here's a cart I bought from ali" posts). This is fascinating because those multicarts are embarassingly cheap despite basically impossible to manufacture by anyone that's not the current Chinese dudes doing this, as it uses a discontinued 5v FPGA, weird microcontrollers and even weirder fuckhuge gigabyte sized parallel flash which are made to order and not advertised or acknowledged in public by any flash memory manufacturer. It's just a huge headache to actually reprogram them if you even get to a state where you have the required tools and knowledge.

The energy investment is best spent in getting money to buy a SD multicart which is admittedly kind of a shame, as these multicarts could probably hold all of the neo library for (bizarrely) very little cost to the chinese people making these.

metouto

n00b

metouto

n00b
The link Neo Alec posted above is interesting because there probably IS a way to repurpose this, it's just too fucking annoying (even that thread devolved into "any news? here's a cart I bought from ali" posts). This is fascinating because those multicarts are embarassingly cheap despite basically impossible to manufacture by anyone that's not the current Chinese dudes doing this, as it uses a discontinued 5v FPGA, weird microcontrollers and even weirder fuckhuge gigabyte sized parallel flash which are made to order and not advertised or acknowledged in public by any flash memory manufacturer. It's just a huge headache to actually reprogram them if you even get to a state where you have the required tools and knowledge.

The energy investment is best spent in getting money to buy a SD multicart which is admittedly kind of a shame, as these multicarts could probably hold all of the neo library for (bizarrely) very little cost to the chinese people making these.
also thank you