161in1 understanding its logic.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
The problem here is that is not the NeoGeoLand popup menu, that is the main menu (I grant you it looks very simular though).

Wouldn't it be possible to use the main menu window in the BIOS? Then, you'd have that stripe where the button icons originally were, for all the info you want to put there. An in case you'll ever support more multicarts, it could also display which one is currently running, the 191, 150, 138, or whatever. This would certainly solve the awkward placing of the PICnMIX text, and you could call it PICKnMIX, because PIC sounds weird to me, like a short "picture", not "pick".

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
I don't like that idea because im trying to keep the box as small as possible. There is no chance of supporting other multi carts because there is no space. I'd have to remove the 161in1 cart to add another.

Raz

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
At the Finnish NeoGeo meet last weekend we had a trial run in a MVS cab and all in all it went very well indeed. There was one bug found and a couple of small niggles. I have been working to fix these and hopefully they are now fixed.

I also programmed a quick hack on Friday evening to see if it would work on an AES at the meet (through magickey converter) and it did. It meant the button on the magickey needed to be constantly pressed in but the main thing was it worked.

There will be some limitations on AES compared to MVS and the most visible will be the popup menu. There will be other limitations also but on the whole on AES it would work well enough.

MVS popup list (below)
kof99h005.png

AES popup list (below)
kof99h004.png

Last edited:

phoenixdownita

Cheng's Errand Boy

I also programmed a quick hack on Friday evening to see if it would work on an AES at the meet (through magickey converter) and it did. It meant the button on the magickey needed to be constantly pressed in but the main thing was it worked.

There will be some limitations on AES compared to MVS and the most visible will be the popup menu. There will be other limitations also but on the whole on AES it would work well enough.
THANKS your awesomeness :drool_2:

Only from RAZOOLA!!

PS: I modded my magickey way back when with a physical switch to short the push button because the 161 menu just won't come up and I have a real unibios in my AES.

Last edited:

[OCEAN]

Sakura's Bank Manager
At the Finnish NeoGeo meet last weekend we had a trial run in a MVS cab and all in all it went very well indeed. There was one bug found and a couple of small niggles. I have been working to fix these and hopefully they are now fixed.

Again, that's looking awesome!

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
I would like some honest feedback on something.

It is in relation to how buttons A and B game swapping works. I currently have A mapped to jump to next game and B to previous game. This makes sence to me and is also the way I implemented in v3.3 cabinet fixes for multislot owners whos cab does not have game swap button mapped. It has been pointed out to me that it also makes sence to have the buttons mapped the other way around, so A selects previous game and B the next game. Sort of like in a way you turn pages of a book given how the buttons are laid out.

Which way do you think is better?

joala

A Joala is for Life., Not Just Christmas.,
I would like some honest feedback on something.

It is in relation to how buttons A and B game swapping works. I currently have A mapped to jump to next game and B to previous game. This makes sence to me and is also the way I implemented in v3.3 cabinet fixes for multislot owners whos cab does not have game swap button mapped. It has been pointed out to me that it also makes sence to have the buttons mapped the other way around, so A selects previous game and B the next game. Sort of like in a way you turn pages of a book given how the buttons are laid out.

Which way do you think is better?

A for previous and B for next imo mate

8bitForLife

Crazed MVS Addict
Cant wait for this. Im trying to find someone to fix a 161 for me. Or is fixing them going to bork your new picinmix stufff?

Last edited:

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Cant wait for this. Im trying to find someone to fix a 161 for me. Or is fixing them going to bork your new picinmix stufff?

The 161in1 does not need any modding for this, its all in the unibios. The only question mark is if all revisions of the 161in1 will work.

Raz

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
I agree, A for previous and B for next seems more natural to me.

Ohk I will do the buttons this way although it does feel weird to me atm.

As somone else said to me 'A for next game since it's the "primary" button. B for "back" is easy to remember too'

Raz

Last edited:

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
Both make perfect sense to me, and I'd be ok with either.

If I had to choose, personally I'd probably go for A forward and B back, because A is usually referred as the main button, while B is the secondary one.

Jontox

Quiz Detective
Both make perfect sense to me, and I'd be ok with either.

If I had to choose, personally I'd probably go for A forward and B back, because A is usually referred as the main button, while B is the secondary one.

Exactly, and moreover it really depends if the list is scrolling from top to bottom or from left to right.
In the current case A for next game and B for previous is more natural.

Last edited:

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
For a moment there, it lookes like A - PREVIOUS, B - NEXT was getting more votes, but then the opposite crowd rolled in and spoiled the fun. I feel like this should almost get a poll. You know which ption is getting my vote, though.

NeoLucian

New Challenger
@Razoola - did you ever figure out if the soft-dips were being saved to the main flash chips or another chip on the boards?

Just wondered: if they do use the flash chips and the menu can access that saving function, do you think it would ever be possible to override the menu and use the cartridge itself to overwrite the game data, so that you could overwrite hacks and the proto games?

Just a thought I had

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
I don't have the tools to figure that out. The info I do know is in the process of being put up onto the neogeodevwiki, hopefully where people will be able to look more closely at this. It would be great if the flashes could be reprogrammed though, there are a few issues that can be easily fixed with games once that can be done.

Last edited:

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
I don't have the tools to figure that out. The info I do know is in the process of being put up onto the neogeodevwiki, hopefully where people will be able to look more closely at this. It would be great if the flashes could be reprogrammed though, there are a few issues that can be easily fixed with games once that can be done.

I'm really keeping my fingers crossed for this. If this gets figured out, banana multis will have a chance to become the best, cheapest and fastest multi cart out there.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
I'm really keeping my fingers crossed for this. If this gets figured out, banana multis will have a chance to become the best, cheapest and fastest multi cart out there.

Agreed. Can't wait Raz.

Jamie

NEST Puppet
This is great, really looking forward to this being added to the Unibios. Thanks Razoola.

I know it has been mentioned previously, but if there was a way to set the Unibios to boot directly to this instead of the original menu screen, that'd be fantastic.

joala

A Joala is for Life., Not Just Christmas.,
Is it correct you can currently soft reset the cart to go back to the game selection menu by holding P1 start for 5 seconds?

Doesnt seem to be working for me....

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Is it correct you can currently soft reset the cart to go back to the game selection menu by holding P1 start for 5 seconds?

Doesnt seem to be working for me....

You can yes. If you have a memory card inserted however that button code does not work due to poor programming by those that created the 161in1.