1988 Memoreis: Anyone else get Double Dragon free with their Master System?

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member

I have two brothers. The day we got our free Double Dragon in the mail was like a second Christmas. Unlimited lives until the last level (level 4). The whip lady coming out of the door and the ability to take her whip! Love this game.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
No Double D, but my 7th grade buddy William got the Master System, new on release (divorce guilt present).

TransBot, and Ghost House, all day!

I don't know if it soothed his Fatherless heart; I do know that TransBot card CHANGED EVERYTHING ELSE.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I didn't get a SMS until much later when KB Toys had them on clearance, but one of my first games was indeed Double Dragon. I played the heck out of that game.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Didn't got that one for free ( paid full for it lol ) but I had that game around that time +-.
It was a must have back then. Double Dragon for the SMS was teh shit. :buttrock:

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
Never heard of Master System before. Only thing I know is PLAYSTATION

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
master system was my first ever console. although i like it now, to this day i regret picking the master system over the nes. just watching that add sends chills down my spine.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Alex Kidd in Miracle World came with mine, but I got Double Dragon later ;) Still have fond memories of the Master System... Was just thinking of Psycho Fox recently... Wish I still had mine.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
I got mine right around when the SMS was first released. Mine came with the Astro Warriors/Hang On combo game. Played both like hell. A friend of mine got Double Dragon right when it came out; we played the hell out of that as well.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
When we got ours, it had Hang-On built in so there was no physical pack-in.

eac729_641954.gif

I would play Sega with Harrison Ford.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I was in my late teens when I got my Master System. We had a 2600, NES, Genesis, Game Boy, and Game Gear when I was young (like ages 0-5).

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
1988 was all about Ozzy Ozbourne and Weird Al Yankovic

I didn't have video games back then.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
Alex Kidd in Miracle World came with mine, ...
Same. I got mine when a video rental store closed down. I paid 10DM (~$6) for the console and got another 10 games for 5DM (~$3) each. One of those games was Psycho Fox.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
sms double dragon> nes double dragon.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'm not sure I agree with that. The NES game is probably the better put together game, but no real 2 player mode was a major let down. The gaining levels aspect should have been removed as well, but at least there was a trick to get around that.

When I got my clerance SMS2 it came with Alex Kidd as well, but I kinda hated that game. The local mom n pop shop had put all their SMS games on clearance for $7.50 a pop, and they had pretty much everything. And they had been sitting there for a long time with no interest. Seeing as how I made $15 a week, it was perfect, 2 games a week! It didn't quite work out that way, I had only managed to grab Shinobi, Double Dragon, and Rampage, came in the next week and apparently some dude had come buy and bought everything left. So those were the only games I had until I was in my 20's and could order them on the net.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
I didn't get a Master System until I was 16 ish.

What I did get around 1988 was a tape of recorded Gumby episodes from my aunt, which had another free Double Dragon commercial on it.

Get it?! Got it! Good... I'll always remember that.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I never really saw an SMS in the wild. Only one friend had an SMS

I do remember my free Dragon Warrior with Nintendo Power subscription. that was bad ass.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Double Dragon can't make up for all the mediocre Master System games that was the USA library. Sega really didn't start making classics until the Genesis.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
sms ghouls n ghosts > nes ghosts n goblins.

outrun > rad racer

hang on > mach rider

wonder boy > adventure island.

there is a lot of great fun to be had on the sms.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Double Dragon can't make up for all the mediocre Master System games that was the USA library. Sega really didn't start making classics until the Genesis.

Just being able to play the 8-bit Sonics without the screens getting cut off like the GG versions makes the SMS a must-have for me. All the rest is just gravy.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
1988 is my favorite year, so much good music, so many great games, cartoons, comics, everything was awesome...

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
I had not seen that commercial before. I was such a Double Dragon nut back then, would have felt like the luckiest kid ever if I got that back in 88.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
I think the SMS is the second best port of the game , with the first being the GBA remake. Hell, the GBA version is better than the damn arcade.
It's really a shame how the series has been treated, even the name kicks ass.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
My system came with Hang On / Safari Hunt. It is the type that had the games inside the system, so if you don't boot the cart up the games auto boot. I still have the system in my house.

We bought a Master System over a Nintendo because it had Hang-On on it. I liked D&D, so I bought Miracle Warriors because it said "Sega's First RPG" on the box or something.

Miracle Warriors, Hang-On, Altered Beast, Space Harrier, Ghost House, Zillion 1 and 2, Fantasy Zone, Transbot, My Hero, Great Baseball, Choplifter...

Double Dragon was always my favorite. The art, music, and overall atmosphere of the game was incredible. Just thinking about it brings back a flood of nostalgia. Music!!!

I was sad we never owned a Nintendo, but I am very happy that we owned a SMS. Micracle Warriors provided enough entertainment and really introduced me to video game RPGs.

Ip Man

15 Year Member

true.i was one of the sad kids that picked the master system over the nes which led the way to my disappointed childhood.

Ip Man

15 Year Member
I think the SMS is the second best port of the game , with the first being the GBA remake. Hell, the GBA version is better than the damn arcade.
It's really a shame how the series has been treated, even the name kicks ass.

i owned the gba port of double dragon but don't remember playing it.but now that you've given it so much praise, i might just go and find it and give it a try.