1st neo geo game that got you hooked?

DragonmasterDan

King's Dry Cleaner
Enchanted Castle was awesome! IIRC, they were a bit of a "beta" site for Midway arcade games.

They're still there. But only a handful of video games remain. Mostly redemption games, games for tickets and a few pinball machines mixed in with the worlds worst pizza, animatronics, mini golf and laser tag.

red shoe paul

Stakes Winner
15 Year Member
This would have to be Metal Slug or Metal Slug II that I played in a small pizza shop where I used to live when I was younger. From there, I believe King of Fighters and Puzzle Bobble were the others.

Shin9999

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
I think it would have to be between Metal Slug or Aero Fighters! I always remember using my last quarter or two on these amazing games.

chemdream

n00b
Samurai showdown 2 and nam 75 hooked me in the 90s. Now as an adult, I first played Mark of wolves only a few years ago. It rehooked me... What a fantastic game!

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
Puzzle Bobble, of course. The colorful graphics and catchy tunes were lethal to my young self, along with that magic Neo Geo jingle.

But the one which has been my ruin and hooked me for hours was Metal Slug. Total drug. Complete addiction.

Speaking of arcades, of course.

ni-ten

War Room Troll
Summer '93 playing a brand new game called Samurai Shodown at the local arcade. After like 1 minute into the game facing earthquake it came over me, the intense feeling of having to own this at home no matter the cost involved. It's just a perfect game in every which way. And it was a real game changer for SNK and the gaming industry back then too. Still love it and i play it frequently on GGPO.

Personally for me it was super sidekicks which I played in my local arcade , that was my first neo geo experience, I loved metal slug the first time I played them but that was much later on and by the wii collection disc . I have always loved neo geo I kept the catalogue whih was given away In shops I would look at the games and try to draw the amazing art work . The presentation was always so appealing .

XeD

Super Sidekicks 2
In my younger years it was metal slug and bust a move. Now I'm enjoying windjammers, shock troopers, and blazing star

Magician Lord, brand new MVS cabinet, in my local arcade when it first came out. And yes, that shows how old I am haha... but man, the artwork, the soundtrack... still love it, still one of my favorite games.

RetroTechRewind

Crazed MVS Addict
My first experience was at the local arcade when I was a kid. They had a Big Red, and over the years, it had a rotation of games. The first game I remember that really grabbed me was Metal Slug. There were other games in the cabinet for years prior, but none that really made me lust over playing it at home. Over the years, other games were put in that made me want an AES like I needed oxygen. Luckily the arcade was walking distance from school.

Years later they ended up going out of business, and the machines were all sold to a few other various vendors in the area. Luckily the local bowling alley had/has another Big Red that I could get my fix on. It wasn't until I was out of high school that I actually bought my first AES. And the rest is financially irresponsible history! :lolz:

Mega

Cheng's Errand Boy
Metal Slug 2, then X at the local pizzeria. It was one of my favorite arcade games at any of the various spots with arcades in my neighborhood.

Speed3

Marked Wolf
Metal Slug got me hooked as soon as I played it I knew I had to catch 'em all. Wait err that's a different franchise

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
I bought Garou for Dreamcast when it was released. I don't think I have ever seen a single Neo Geo arcade unit IRL. I bought Garou simply because I was playing Werewolf: The Apocalypse at the time in college. Loved the game, and got my friends to play in the dorm. Hell, i loved that dreamcast. It was the first system I bought at launch (Saved up from mowing lawns the whole summer).
Got stolen four years later :(

But, that got me interested in SNK games, and so I snatched up Samurai Shodown Anthology and Metal Slug Anthology for Wii when they came out.

And... so when i do end up finding a system with some games. I'll post the pics in the recent purchases thread ^_^.

jtucci31

n00b
As someone who's newer to Neo Geo full-time (not just playing it at the arcades but playing at home) I've been pretty hooked on the few MVS carts I own so far. The first game I really got hooked on was Windjammers. I'm sure it's been said in this thread a shit-ton, but that's because it's a great game!

However, being the big baseball fan that I am, I do love some Baseball Stars. It's such a well-crafted baseball game that has me not wanting to put the stick down after just one game. One of these days I'll sit down and play through a season, but for now I'll just stick to aiming for a perfect game. Best I've gotten is halfway through 5 innings.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
As someone who's newer to Neo Geo full-time (not just playing it at the arcades but playing at home) I've been pretty hooked on the few MVS carts I own so far. The first game I really got hooked on was Windjammers. I'm sure it's been said in this thread a shit-ton, but that's because it's a great game!
Windjammers is definitely in the hidden gem category.

jtucci31

n00b
Windjammers is definitely in the hidden gem category.

And I don't even own it. I hadn't known about it until around a year ago or so. Not quite sure how I missed it, but now it's all I've been looking for :)

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Yeah, Data East delivered. Be sure to try Dunk Dream/Street Hoop, too. Shoooootin' machine!!!

konrad

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I played world heroes, first part and second, was unjustly forgotten saga denshi alpha.