1st neo geo game that got you hooked?

celeritas

Mr. Big's Thug
Almost ashamed to say, but it would be King of the Monsters. :p My little brother was on a Godzilla kick in the very early 90's, and got me to get a bit into the movies. Once we saw this game, it was over!

That game was awesome!!! It was so satisfying to smash an entire city during a fight. Too bad they never continued the series past KotM2. The sequel was so hard.

SumerNivek

n00b
That game was awesome!!! It was so satisfying to smash an entire city during a fight. Too bad they never continued the series past KotM2. The sequel was so hard.

Right on all accounts. Wish they had continued it, and the second one was difficult! I own the first game on AES (Japanese cart). One of these days I am going to buy KotM2...I just have to have my huge "city crushing" monster games!

keilmillerjr

New Challenger
Puzzle Bobble was the only game I played on the MVS out in the wild. I was really young. Past weekend I purchased an mvs and the seller included puzzle bobble. Score! :)

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Magician Lord and Ninja Combat at Putt Putt Golf n Games Super Saturday.

Then Samurai Shodown on Sega CD (I was poor)

Then I finally got a homecart system and got samurai showdown 2- there was no turning back at this point.

Played The Last Blade at Terry 330's house maybe 12 years ago - I became Neo addict and knew I was doomed to be poor but have an awesome neo collection for life. Joined forums and never looked back.

Last edited:

SAKAMOSTRO

Rugal's Thug
At first got really good experience with fatal fury and art of fighting... Then Samurai Shodown came along and changed my whole perspective as a gamer, blown away!

Hypnos

War Room Troll
The pack of: Art of Fighting 2, Fatal Fury 2 and Samurai Shodown 2. All sequels!

Zak

WWJCVDD?,
It will always be Metal Slug 1 for me ;) I can play that game forever. I originally purchased a Japanese Saturn when I was 15 years old, just to play this game. I eventually purchased an AES to play it in all its glory!

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
first neo game that had me hooked was andro dunos it was running in a 4 slot cab in my local arcade the only other one of the four games i remember was baseball stars, but i was rubbish at it.

JammaGuy

Previously I-d-o-s-k-8
Strikers... It was at an arcade in the mall when I was super young. I spent $5.00 trying to get as far as I could and quickly learned my sisters boyfriend was an mvs collector and got sucked right in..

blakeb8111

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I played art of fighting and samurai showdown on a 4 slot at a local diner back when I was addicted to SFII and MK in the arcades and loved them both. Those two games and the fact that you had choices of great games available on one machine had me hooked instantly.

Black_Tiger

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I posted in detail in the "first time you heard of the Neo Geo" thread.

Magician Lord was the first game that came to town and I'd already been dying to play it after seeing it in game mags, but didn't think it'd ever make it to my city, even as an arcade cabinet.

As a killer app, it was tailor made for me. The art style and them, the vibrant color and massive shading, the overall gameplay and stage design (I also love the Willow arcade) and unique sound. At the time, that one game justified the AES, but I wouldn't even get to see one for many years later. I was very grateful for the MVS cart scheme. It's the only way I got to experience Neo Geo for the longest time.

benimaru7

New Challenger
Fatal Fury was my first experience of the Neo, although it didn't have the depth of Street Fighter II it had the background plane and the two players versus cpu, which differentiated it from other fighting games at the time. I played it tons and could finish it in a credit without losing a round. Those were fun times, shame the newer games on PS4 just don't get me hooked.

DragonmasterDan

King's Dry Cleaner
The first game I remember playing for Neo-Geo was going to an arcade/Family Fun center called Enchanted Castle and playing Magician Lord in 1990.

The first Neo-Geo game I played quite a bit of was King of Monsters in 1991.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
The first game I remember playing for Neo-Geo was going to an arcade/Family Fun center called Enchanted Castle and playing Magician Lord in 1990.

The first Neo-Geo game I played quite a bit of was King of Monsters in 1991.

Enchanted Castle was awesome! IIRC, they were a bit of a "beta" site for Midway arcade games.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
A local pizza place that I frequented as a kid had an MVS cab and I became obsessed with Samurai Shodown. I wanted an AES so badly, but it never happened. When they ported it to the Sega Genesis, I was thrilled even though the port is merely a shell of the game's greatness. I had to take what I could get.

Incidentally, the Fatal Fury 2 port on the Genesis was actually really good, and I remember playing the crap out of that back when all of my friends were obsessed with Mortal Kombat.