2011 - GAME OF THE YEAR

2011 Game of the Year (Select 3: Post order)

• Total voters

Curt

apostate
With November's onslaught of releases like Zelda, Saints Row, and Modern Warfare upon us I think now is a great time to speculate on what the best game of 2011 has been or to cast an early vote.

emmys+hamm.jpg

The Nominees: (In No Particular Order)

Rage
2dumu12.jpg

rage-id-software-bar.jpg

Batman Arkham City
BATMAN.jpg

Saints Row The Third
SaintsRow.jpg

Deus Ex: Human Evolution
deus_ex.jpg

5525dxhr_screenshot_covertym.jpg

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
Call-of-Duty-Modern-Warfare-3_61.jpg

Modern-Warfare-3-51.jpg

Battlefield 3
BATTLEFIELD3.jpg

332058_904967870088_11705149_41261861_784376076_o.jpg

King of Fighters XIII
kof.jpg

The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword
zelda.jpg

Bastion
Bastion.jpg

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Skyrim.jpg

Super Mario 3D Land
SuperMario3DLand.jpg

Infamous 2
Infamous.jpg

Resistance 3
Resistance3.jpg

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
Uncharted3.jpg

Forza Motorsport 4
Forza.jpg

Dark Souls
ScreenShot2011-11-02at80448AM.jpg

Catherine
13062%2B-%2Bcatherine%2Bwallpaper.jpg

1sfe5w.jpg

Child of Eden
eden.jpg

Gears of War 3
gow3cover.jpg

Anya_1280.jpg

LA Noire
la-noire.jpg

NextGN-LA-Noire-Screenshot-01.jpg

Duke Nukem Forever
duke-nukem-forever-schoolgirls.jpg

dnf3.jpg

Mortal Kombat
mortakombat.jpg

Portal 2
portal2.jpg

Killzone 3
Killzone3.jpg

Marvel Vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds
ITSMARVELBABY.jpg

marvel-vs-capcom-3-fate-two-worlds-screenshot_34.jpg

Dead Space 2
DeadSpace2.jpg

Little Big Planet 2
lbp_1.jpg

littlebigplanet2.jpg

See you at the afterparty.

517104894_c.jpg

Last edited:

Castor Troy

The Esfinter that theMot Chupame's
It's still way too early. But if I had to vote right now, I'd give it to Dark Souls. The game opened up to me and I'm having a blast.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Sad that the only game of that entire list I've played so far is Mortal Kombat. I liked it a lot, but I hope for all of your sakes it wasn't the best game to come out this year.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
damn can't really vote on this yet, as I suspect uncharted 3 will probably be my vote once I finally play it.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Only played two games of that list so far, Child of Eden and Duke Nukem Forever.

Where the hell are Deathsmiles and Strania?

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Sad that the only game of that entire list I've played so far is Mortal Kombat.

I thought that was sad until I realized my case is not much different. Just add MVC3. Plus KOFXIII (arcade rom) and Catherine's demo if they count.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
The only game on that list I've played is Little Big Planet 2, which in all respects wasn't that great of a game (neither was the first). I have a copy of Duke Nukem Forever, but I haven't opened and played it yet...

Curt

apostate
Only played two games of that list so far, Child of Eden and Duke Nukem Forever.

Where the hell are Deathsmiles and Strania?

I thought of those, Strania is Downloadable only though, most of these games sans Bastion are Shipped.

and I wasn't sure if the Deathsmiles 2 PCB came out before 2011. I tried to put most of them based on the ship dates for 2011. Ended up being 27 I think. Should have made it 30. Can't please everyone. Also Deathsmiles 2 wasn't localized.

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I see what you mean, guess it's best to leave Deathsmiles out then.

But Strania should be on the list, download-only or not.

Curt

apostate
My votes as of today and how I assume the rest of the year will turn out. (I will amend my choices at the end of the year if I change my mind).

GAME OF THE YEAR:

#1 BATMAN ARKHAM CITY

34ef57a.jpg

"The finest Super Hero game ever made. One of the Best Batman entrees period. A glimpse into the next generation with reverence to the past." - Curt Anderson -Urban-Muse

(too much time on my hands tonight making that graphic he he)

Runner ups:
#2 DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION
#3 BATTLEFIELD 3

This thread is just for fun so feel free to change your mind/choices. I may.

Last edited:

NeoDragoN

custom rank,
20 Year Member
I voted Deus Ex from what i have played on the list.

I'll probably get hate for this but Batman AC was the biggest let down of the year, i sold it within a week.

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
I was about to write that Xenoblade should be on this list, but then I remembered that y'all never got that one...

Last edited:

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
donno if I would call it my game of the year since I don't really care about the competitive multiplayer in it much, but resistance 3 is definitely gonna be a overlooked game in this list and I think it would appeal to alot of people here, it's like the only modern really high production value FPS game on the market that is from the doom school FPS design as opposed to the halo or modern warfare style. it's got big ass crazy weapons, hordes of crazy enemies with alot of variety, you can carry ALL your guns at once and your health doesn't magically regenerate!

it's boss battles were toned down a little bit, perhaps for the sake of the coop experience (this game kicks ass in coop and the whole campaign is playable online or split screen) but I'm not certain, but either way it results in a slightly anticlimactic ending compared to resistance 2 but that really is my only gripe.

Curt

apostate
I voted Deus Ex from what i have played on the list.

I'll probably get hate for this but Batman AC was the biggest let down of the year, i sold it within a week.

For me the biggest let down was Easily Battlefield 3, the intense server issues coupled with absolutely crippling performance on my competent pc and subpar visuals (compared to the trailers) on the console port. I still love the game though. But the experience could have been alot better.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
love that you put Bastion up there

i love that game more than i ever thought i would

hard for me to say right now though

Skyrim looks amazing but i can't even say when i'll play it

so right now it's a draw between Dark Souls and Uncharted 3

i'm not too deep into Uncharted 3 yet but i've played them all before and am at least far enough into 3 to see how brilliant it is

but then again Dark Souls has eaten and will eat more of my time than any game has since i was many years younger and that counts a lot for me

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
I was about to write that Xenoblade should be on this list, but then I remembered that y'all never got that one...
I was thinking the same thing. For me personally, it is a 2-horse race between Xenoblade and Dark Souls and I'm only midway through Dark Souls. Catherine and MVC3 are not at the same level, and while KOF XIII is shaping up to be the best fighter, it would need some otherworldly extra features to compete with games in other genres (something like an entire Double Dragon-caliber adventure game tacked on, or a network-enabled version of cardfighters).

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
Write in: Rift.

Out of that list I would have to pick either Skyrim (which I haven't played) or KOFXIII. I'll wait until I've played a few more of the games to put in a vote.

I hope a game will boast "Neo-geo.com Game of the Year" on its box.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I just selected 2. "Dead Space 2" & "Portal 2: Electric Bugaloo" for obvious ownage reasons. the rest I either haven't played, don't care to play or the game isn't out yet for the PC(consoles suck).

Curt

apostate
I hope a game will boast "Neo-geo.com Game of the Year" on its box.

I'd like that too. In fact I'm surprised other games/magazines haven't given us some more shoutouts from time to time. This is one of the most hardcore/intelligent/well respected communities on the net.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I say Batman, just because it's that good. It has its warts with the riddler challenges, but it's the kind of game you can play for hours or just a couple minutes with a predator challenge.

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
Currently, it's Dark Souls for me. I suspect it'll stay that way even with some really great games on that list which I've either already played through or have yet to play. Really looking forward to finally getting around to Batman. Skyrim is the next game about to take up my time though.

Curt

apostate
Currently, it's Dark Souls for me. I suspect it'll stay that way even with some really great games on that list which I've either already played through or have yet to play. Really looking forward to finally getting around to Batman. Skyrim is the next game about to take up my time though.

Yes, Dark Souls is off to an early lead.

Of the list that had been the one I'd been putting off (frankly I was scared/intimidated) looks like I HAVE to pick it up. :)

Looks like the titles most everyone is holding out for are MW3 and Skyrim.

Last edited:

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Haven't played Zelda yet, but Batman is at the top of the heap for me right now. I feel like I'm in a giant sandbox and it's filled with all of the classic bad guys from the comics and I have no idea what to do next.