2019 NHL Playoff Predictions

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member
I think the Avs are going to get swept in a crushing fashion.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
So far, the first round has been shocking

1) Pens about to be swept by Isles
2) Lightning about to be swept by CBJ
3) Winnipeg avoided sweep, won game 3 at 50-1 odds

This is looking real good for the Caps.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Blue Jackets are peaking at the right time. Their window to win a Cup is going to close after this season with the future of Panarin and Bobrovsky possibly not coming back. Jackets are long overdue for their first playoff round victory. What better way to solve that by winning a cup before fellow expansion mates Minnesota Wild (and 1998's Nashville Predators).

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Expansion is for squares.

All the cool kids just get a team from Canada that already has several hall of fame skaters, then trade for a hall of fame goalie, then win a Cup in their first season. Then win another five years later.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
So far, the first round has been shocking

1) Pens about to be swept by Isles
Getting rid of Syndey is the first priority for every playoff season. That douchebag is the face of the ruined NHL for me. Ovechkin would have been fine in the real, pre-lockout NHL but not that pussy.

I'm having a weird experience right now. I was a Devils fan from the time I started watching hockey, but when Bettman singled them out repeatedly (the Brodeur rule, the Kovalchuk penalty, etc.), I just stopped watching the NHL altogether. I didn't even watch the Devils' last run to the Finals in 2012.

I live outside of Raleigh now, and I was intrigued by the Brind'amour hiring. I lived in St. Louis when he first came up, and, despite rooting against him in both Philly and Carolina, I have a lot of respect for him. Coincidentally, I ran into him in Target several years ago, which was cool, though I did not bother him. I've watched quite a few Hurricanes games this year to see how he'd do, and the team has really taken on his personality.

So now I'm a bit torn. The only Devils I have any attachment to at this point are Andy Greene and Travis Zajac, because they have bee there long enough for me to see them come up. However, the couple times I watched the Hurricanes play them, I still had mixed feelings. I firmly believe that if you have two teams, you really have none, and that's made worse when both teams are in the same division.

Intellectually, it would be Hall, Hischier, and the upcoming #1 pick vs. Aho, Teravainen, and Svechnikov, but that's not how this works. Maybe emotionally it'll sort itself out. It's not like I am ever moving back to NJ, but I've also never changed teams before. Yes, I know I am overthinking the hell out of this.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Getting rid of Syndey is the first priority for every playoff season. That douchebag is the face of the ruined NHL for me. Ovechkin would have been fine in the real, pre-lockout NHL but not that pussy.

I'm having a weird experience right now. I was a Devils fan from the time I started watching hockey, but when Bettman singled them out repeatedly (the Brodeur rule, the Kovalchuk penalty, etc.), I just stopped watching the NHL altogether. I didn't even watch the Devils' last run to the Finals in 2012.

I live outside of Raleigh now, and I was intrigued by the Brind'amour hiring. I lived in St. Louis when he first came up, and, despite rooting against him in both Philly and Carolina, I have a lot of respect for him. Coincidentally, I ran into him in Target several years ago, which was cool, though I did not bother him. I've watched quite a few Hurricanes games this year to see how he'd do, and the team has really taken on his personality.

So now I'm a bit torn. The only Devils I have any attachment to at this point are Andy Greene and Travis Zajac, because they have bee there long enough for me to see them come up. However, the couple times I watched the Hurricanes play them, I still had mixed feelings. I firmly believe that if you have two teams, you really have none, and that's made worse when both teams are in the same division.

Intellectually, it would be Hall, Hischier, and the upcoming #1 pick vs. Aho, Teravainen, and Svechnikov, but that's not how this works. Maybe emotionally it'll sort itself out. It's not like I am ever moving back to NJ, but I've also never changed teams before. Yes, I know I am overthinking the hell out of this.

When Bettman is released, there will be much partying around the NHL cities.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
How many people predicted that the Lightning and Penguins would get swept in the first round?

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member
Just wanted to say that the Caps won one. I don't care.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Carolina was one of the stronger teams coming into the playoffs, so it doesn't surprise me that they're able to give good competition.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
First time in history, all NHL division winners have been knocked out 1st round.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
i just need the isles to lose in heart breaking fashion.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Carolina was one of the stronger teams coming into the playoffs, so it doesn't surprise me that they're able to give good competition.

The Hurricanes use all four lines very well, it was amazing to see how they were constantly on the attack in the first and second OTs especially.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
The Hurricanes use all four lines very well, it was amazing to see how they were constantly on the attack in the first and second OTs especially.

Great series. Happy for the local team but I just assumed the Caps would eventually figure it out and finish them off. Caps just looked gassed by overtime and seemed to be playing the same lines the whole series. I casually follow the Canes and go to a few games every year (mostly cuz you can get center ice seats for under $100 and hockey's a great live sport) but I've got enough hard-luck franchises in my sports fandom cache already (including the Caps for most of the 90s and 2000s).

Good luck to all the teams out there.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
If the Hurricanes play the Bruins in the ECF, part of me hopes that they bring back the green retro Whalers unis they previously wore this season.