6 slot sound not working

I just got a untested 6 slot and the sound isnt working.. Both headphones and speakers do not work. Anyone have suggestions on where to start? Should I recap it first or is there something else?

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
A cap kit would only help with improving sound quality. No sound at all means there's quite likely damage of some sort in the sound sections of the PCB(s). In the case of the 6 slot, it could be caused by the battery. You should take photographs of the two PCBs (both sides each) and post them here.

And if the 6 slot still has it's original cylinder-shaped battery, remove it immediately, it's probably leaking. The board will still work with no battery, it just won't be able to save soft settings.

mjs256

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
Try powering it up with no cart installed to go through the self-checks. Do you get the test beeps on the sound test?

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
ROFL!!!

Sorry, but no sound at all can still be a cap issue.

The way to diagnose it is to use an oscilloscope or a logic probe that has audio beep capabilities. Put it on pin 4 of the Yamaha DAC chip and look at the signals. You'll get a steady square wave on it until audio plays then it'll have a vastly different signal on it. You'll see it clear as a bell on the scope and hear the differences in the audio tones on the logic probe. If you get the audio signals on pin 4 you have a working digital sound section and problems in the analog section.

When troubleshooting audio issues in the analog section always start with the cap kit first. It fixes the vast majority of the analog section issues. The HA13001 audio amplifier chip RARELY ever fails.

RJ