A hole in school reunions

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
lol i don't want to see anyone of those idiots ever again

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member
i thought the "hole" in the thread title was referring to some slut from your high school. i am disappointed.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I went to my 5, 10 and 15 year reunions but not my 20 year.

My 25 year reunion will be this November! I probably won’t go.

:eye::eye:

NexusX

Astra Superstar
Do the students that were in Special Ed ever attend your high school reunions? That question was part of the Pastor's sermon I livestreamed/recorded at work yesterday morning (in the context of Luke 14:1, 7-14, inviting the poor/crippled/blind/lame to the banquet table). I'd never really considered that before, but, it's true that those people tend to mostly vanish from our lives after high school, unless they happen to also be family, friends, etc. Kind of sad really.

And yes, M was in Special Ed and resents not being invited to the reunions, har-de-har-har. 😉
I live in the town I grew up in. I still see the special needs guy (down syndrome) that graduated with me around a local shopping center on a regular basis. He hangs out there regularly for how he spends his days. Over almost 20 years I have seen him slowly turn from an innocent smiling guy into a person that frowns and looks full of spite. There is some anger in his eyes now. I feel like someone failed him. I can't pinpoint who though. His family, friends, or community? Maybe all of those.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
One thing I always noticed, working with the mentally disabled, is that most of them are perpetually happy and enthusiastic about everything--something I actually envy, ignorance really can be bliss. There were some that were closed off and moody too though.

Maybe you could reach out to that guy you grew up with a little, NexusX? A bit of kindness can go a long way.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I didn’t go to my 10 year because I was working, I might have shifted my work pattern if I gave more a shit but I didn’t. I think if I genuinely had nothing on I might have gone to catch up with a few sound people I kinda lost touch with, but I’m not exactly counting down the days till the next one.

NexusX

Astra Superstar
Maybe you could reach out to that guy you grew up with a little, NexusX? A bit of kindness can go a long way.
I have had interactions with him over the years. Usually being kind and supportive. I wouldn't have seen this slow decline in his demeanor if I didn't speak to him. Even my folks who still live in the area have had conversations with him when they see him. They have seen the same observations in his negative behavior.

Reactions: @M

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Maybe he has other health problems or something. I didn't mean to put pressure on you to become his big brother or anything like that.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
I had A great time in high school, still keep in touch with some friends but I wouldn’t be keen for a full reunion at this point. All that shit was from several life times ago now, we’ve all changed (or at least should have) so much since then. May as well put me in a room with strangers.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I had A great time in high school, still keep in touch with some friends but I wouldn’t be keen for a full reunion at this point. All that shit was from several life times ago now, we’ve all changed (or at least should have) so much since then. May as well put me in a room with strangers.

You'd be surprised. I occasionally meet up with some HS people when I go visit my Mom, and some people don't change. Good or bad.