A Mother's perspective on her collectard son

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
i don't like this trend of saying "partner" instead of wife/husband or girlfriend/boyfriend

I was talking to a friend a while ago and at one point in the conversation he said "I'll have to ask my partner" I paused for a second and said "You mean Sarah?" and he goes "Yeah". Sarah, his wife whom I've known for like 10+ years.

I just said "okay" and gave him a quizzical look. I lost a certain amount of respect for him that day and I think he knows it.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I was using "partner" for a while because we were a couple for 18 years. It seemed more unusual calling her girlfriend at that point.

Last edited:

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member
I was using "partne"r for a while because we were a couple for 18 years. It seemed more unusual calling her girlfriend at that point.
like i said, if you've been using it for a while or you are part of the younger generation that's fine and dandy. i was just weirded out by people my age who have been calling their significant others wives and husbands suddenly using "partner". but, it does seem like some more "inclusivity" bullshit or for people claiming they are "gender fluid" (this is bullshit). unless we really are lizard people that change our sex/genders like in jurassic park, i don't buy that. i'm fine with transgender. non-binary? nah, miss me with that.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I was using "partne"r for a while because we were a couple for 18 years. It seemed more unusual calling her girlfriend at that point.
Yeah, same. This is the only reason it's allowed to use partner.

NeoTeam546

Cheng's Errand Boy
20 Year Member
Last night, I was talking to the elderly Mother of one of my old buddies I haven't seen in a couple of decades (he moved to Illinois) and she commented that, if he dies, and she has to go clean out his apartment, she'll be a millionaire from selling all of his shit.

He had pretty much every console (no NeoGeo though), mountains of carts/discs, piles of action figures, comic books, MTG cards, etc., when we used to hang out, and she told me that he's accumulated lots more on top of that since then, so, I can only imagine what his hoard looks like now. (And I'm not judging, I have too much crap too.)

I think she's overestimating its total worth at millions, but, she could definitely make thousands.

On the sadder side of things, she also mentioned that he never calls, forgets her birthday, etc. (he did come and visit last Christmas though). That she looks at his potential demise as a financial windfall first, and a tragedy second, speaks to why he probably doesn't bother with her much... 🤣
"millions" is probably from seeing wata articles.....thinks his games are worth that now

thanks wata

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
People like Norton use terms like 'partner'

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
like i said, if you've been using it for a while or you are part of the younger generation that's fine and dandy. i was just weirded out by people my age who have been calling their significant others wives and husbands suddenly using "partner". but, it does seem like some more "inclusivity" bullshit or for people claiming they are "gender fluid" (this is bullshit). unless we really are lizard people that change our sex/genders like in jurassic park, i don't buy that. i'm fine with transgender. non-binary? nah, miss me with that.
Is anybody still saying miss me with that, partner?

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I don't know why, but, my coworkers keep starting conversations with me about this. Today, a different woman told me about the storage unit, downstate, that she pays $100 a month for, that is full of her husband's shit (DVDs, comic books, movie posters, etc.) that they haven't even visited in years! Stuff's so heavy, the storage unit's floor even collapsed one time and they had to move it.

I advised her to look into if maybe she can pay somebody downstate to sell/auction the contents for them, and she told me that she's just ready to unlock it and invite people to help themselves! 🤣

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member

The partner thing is 100% part of the drive for "inclusivity". It allows people with weird situations to politely explain that they have a significant other without having to explain whatever their particular mess is. Polite progressive people use it for their boring hetero marriages now too so that the assumption isn't automatically "okay, you're clearly a power bottom or hooked up with an uggo rainbow-hair or in a poly relationship".

I generally still use wife because despite having a lot of non-traditional types in my friend circle, they're all normal people who can handle people using the English language as it's been for the last 100 years and don't take everything as a personal sleight. Most people are that way... even the college-aged rainbow-hairs I know are generally pretty easy-going and understanding.