A New Style of Shockbox Inserts

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
As some of you know, I have somewhat decent Photoshop skills. When I'm not working all through the night for the man, I'm usually creating things.

I love just how massive the canvas is for Shockboxes. Makes designing for them MUCH easier since you don't have to worry too much about scaling. When I started to look around for inserts to print out for my MVS carts though, I never really found anything that suited my fancy. :angry:

I'm the kind of guy that likes there to be a standard. That being said, the current 'my insert looks just like an AES home cart' thing is a good start, but why use something that's meant for home release as a standard? I'm trying to create something NEW.

Taking elements from the already established 'standard' without over-biting is going to happen. Purely out of appreciation. But the rest is going to be brand new. If you look at the rear of game cases from 89-present, most consoles have a standardized 'features' or 'compatibility' standard. MVS lacks this. Granted, there's not much to list, but like I said - I'm picky.

I've already designed 'icons' so to speak for the following features:

1 Player
1-2 Players
1-4 Players
NEO-IC8 Compatible
Link-Up Compatible

Haven't been able to think of anything else these carts are able to do or interface with. If anyone has suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

[[[The next order of business is cart marketing. There were games that we're marketed under the '100-Mega Shock!' and 'Giga Power' schemes, but I've yet to come across a definitive list of WHICH games were included in each. I'd like to incorporate that into the design as well.]]]

Here's the list!

==============================================

100MegaShock.png

Art of Fighting / Ryuuko no Ken
Fatal Fury 2 / Garou Densetsu 2: Arata Naru Tatakai
World Heroes 2
Fatal Fury Special / Garou Densetsu Special
Samurai Shodown / Samurai Spirits
3 Count Bout / Fire Suplex
Aggressors of Dark Kombat / Tsukai Gan Gan Koshinkyoku
Karnov’s Revenge / Fighters History Dynamite
World Heores 2 Jet
Top Hunter: Roddy & Cathy
Super Sidekicks 2: The World Championship / Tokuten Ou 2: Real Fight Football
Fight Fever
Art of Fighting 2 / Ryuuko no Ken 2
Super Sidekicks 3: The Next Glory / Tokuten Ou 3: Eiko e no Chousen
Galaxy Fight: Universal Warriors

GigaPower.png

Flip Shot
Shock Troopers 2nd Squad
Breakers Revenge
Neo Geo Cup '98: The Road to the Victory
The Last Blade 2 / Bakumatsu Roman Dai Ni Maku: Gekka no Kenshi
King of Fighters '98: The Slugfest / King of Fighters '98: Dream Match Never Ends
Real Bout Fatal Fury 2: The Newcomers / Real Bout Garou Densetsu 2: The Newcomers
Strikers 1945 Plus
Garou: Mark of the Wolves
Ganryu / Musashi Ganryuki
King of Fighters '99: Millennium Battle
Metal Slug X
Captain Tomaday
Bust-A-Move Again / Puzzle Bobble 2
Prehistoric Isle 2
Nightmare in the Dark
Bang Bead
King of Fighters 2000
Metal Slug 3
Sengoku 3 / Sengoku Denshou 2001
King of Fighters 2001
King of Fighters 2002: Challenge to Ultimate Battle
Rage of the Dragons
Metal Slug 4
King of Fighters 2003
Samurai Shodown 5 / Samurai Spirits Zero
SVC Chaos: SNK vs. Capcom
Metal Slug 5
Matrimelee / Shin Goketsuji Ichizoku
Samurai Shodown 5 Special / Samurai Spirits Zero Special

==============================================

I'm looking for YOUR INPUT on how to finish out this project. This place is a COMMUNITY, so let me hear what you gotta say!!!

Last edited:

whisper2053

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
Not sure how other would feel, but as a unibios owner, it'd be nice to have some sort of icon denoting games that have stuff like training modes and whatnot if played in console mode. Silly? Maybe. Still would be kinda cool I guess.

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
Not sure how other would feel, but as a unibios owner, it'd be nice to have some sort of icon denoting games that have stuff like training modes and whatnot if played in console mode. Silly? Maybe. Still would be kinda cool I guess.

I actually think this is a worthwhile suggestion. The KoF games for example, have a slew of options in console mode that are otherwise unavailable in MVS mode.

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
I actually think this is a worthwhile suggestion. The KoF games for example, have a slew of options in console mode that are otherwise unavailable in MVS mode.

Make a list. I mean comprehensive. I'll incorporate whatever you guys want, but I require all the datas!

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
"NEO-IC8 Compatible"

I doubt most people would understand that, why not just put down "Memory Card Compatible"?

Otherwise, I like the ideas going on in here, very fresh and interesting.

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
"NEO-IC8 Compatible"

I doubt most people would understand that, why not just put down "Memory Card Compatible"?

Otherwise, I like the ideas going on in here, very fresh and interesting.

I thought about that, but writing 'memory card compatible' looked nonuniform from the rest of them. I mean I can change it and try to figure out something different for the text. I'll post examples later.

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Got any pictures of the icons?

Simple outlined text, 30pt impact up top, 24pt impact on the bottom, icons specific to each.

9832.jpg

Just remember, this is a ROUGH draft. so don't beat me up too bad. I just want ideas right now. Finished product comes later.

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
HISSS!! IMPACT!

Maybe take a look at the badges on NGPC games and use those as a basis? Something more icon and less text is best.

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
HISSS!! IMPACT!

Maybe take a look at the badges on NGPC games and use those as a basis? Something more icon and less text is best.

Lol I'll be sure to do that. Yeah I'd like it to be more streamlined, but you gotta remember, I don't want to use something that's already in use on another system. I can create icons - but it's gonna take a lot of creativity. I was trying to lean heavily on arcade-only items, promotional art, etc.

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Lol I'll be sure to do that. Yeah I'd like it to be more streamlined, but you gotta remember, I don't want to use something that's already in use on another system. I can create icons - but it's gonna take a lot of creativity. I was trying to lean heavily on arcade-only items, promotional art, etc.

Well I like where you're going with the 1p-2p bit, and I think if you touch up the typography some it could help a lot. The weakest link for me right now is the memory card graphic, I feel something flat would work better. Also I think enclosing them could help a lot with their usability, most badges you see on games are enclosed so you wouldn't be ripping anyone in particular off, take a look at dreamcast cases for an example. You could also check out the noun project or iconmonstr for ideas and/or materials.

Also is that what a link up cable looks like? I haven't seen one.

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Well I like where you're going with the 1p-2p bit, and I think if you touch up the typography some it could help a lot. The weakest link for me right now is the memory card graphic, I feel something flat would work better. Also I think enclosing them could help a lot with their usability, most badges you see on games are enclosed so you wouldn't be ripping anyone in particular off, take a look at dreamcast cases for an example. You could also check out the noun project or iconmonstr for ideas and/or materials.

Also is that what a link up cable looks like? I haven't seen one.

Yeah, supposedly SNK 'made' link cables, but I've never seen one that was stamped SNK. It's seriously just a stereo 8mm male/male plug.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
shockboxes are soooo homeconsole.