About to buy a Japanese AES system: Need your feedback

c0dehunter

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Hello all,
I am about to buy a Japanese AES system, it is complete in the box, with the cardboard and everything, the system and arcade stick look very good and clean (although the system's serial does not match the one on the box). The asking price is $399 plus tax (US Dollars).

Questions:

1) Can I play US games on this Japanese system?

2) Do I need an adapter in order to be able to play MVS games on my AES? If so, can you provide the link please?

3) Is there a cheating device (ala GameGenie) for AES system? (I know the consolized MVS have a built-in one, but I need to know if there is something like a GameGenie for AES or not)

4) Is the asking price fair? What should I look for when if I get this system?

Many thanks in advance!

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
1. Sure you can, displayed language is in Japanese though.
2. You need a converter. Phantom-1/Super MVS Converter/Magic Key/Daedalus, take your pick.
3. You'll want a Unibios mod.
4. There's probably cheaper deals elsewhere.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Hello all,
I am about to buy a Japanese AES system, it is complete in the box, with the cardboard and everything, the system and arcade stick look very good and clean (although the system's serial does not match the one on the box). The asking price is $399 plus tax (US Dollars).

Questions:

2) Do I need an adapter in order to be able to play MVS games on my AES? If so, can you provide the link please?

3) Is there a cheating device (ala GameGenie) for AES system? (I know the consolized MVS have a built-in one, but I need to know if there is something like a GameGenie for AES or not)

Many thanks in advance!

1. Yes
2. Yes, there are a number of different converters.
3. Install Unibios - soldering skill required - or pay someone to do so.
4. The price is on the higher side because of the box. If you just want a system + stick, you could probably find a nice one for $200-$250. If you want to play MVS games with cheats and save time/$$ you should just buy a CMVS.

c0dehunter

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Thanks. What about this "low" serial number issue? Is it better to have a lower one? for better hardware?

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
Hello all,

Questions:

Many thanks in advance!
Find here in the forums a fully modded AES to buy.

Rori

Crazed MVS Addict
Hello all,

Questions:

Many thanks in advance!

1.) Neo Geo's are region free, on both the system and games. However, since you're buying a Japanese AES, any game you buy, will revert to Japanese since that is the detected BIOS. Usually to get around this, is to install razoola's Universe BIOS.

http://unibios.free.fr/

2.) yes you need an adapter, and as far as I understand, they all have their flaws in some manner or fashion. Also, specifically one of them has some controversy as it's manufactured/supplied by someone who has been accused of scamming -- but the unit works as advertised (Daedalus?). My personal opinion on the matter is that these workaround solutions are very costly and you can build your own CMVS (which i'm currently doing) for the price for nearly the same cost, or have one professionally built, such as JammaNationX / Xian Xi, while not running into incompatibility issues, or having your money to goto unscrupulous people.

3. Cheating device is the Universe Bios, you can access cheats in its menu

4.) Seems fair, but $400-500 seems to be the asking price I see on eBay for complete in box sets. I'm not sure but you might be able to find one that matches the serial. I'd scour eBay or where ever else you're buying it , one more time to just be sure you haven't missed one at a similar price point, in better condition or matching serials before you shoot the gun. It is currently the weekend so people are putting up new listings, so you don't wanna beat yourself for missing out on a better deal!

Thanks. What about this "low" serial number issue? Is it better to have a lower one? for better hardware?

Low serial AES' have a daughterboard that is not present on newer revisions. Its been said that this Neo Geo revision had a better build quality but I can't remember exactly what it was -- although i'd just assume that it's more collectible as it was the original AES revision.

Keep in mind you should not use the supplied Japanese AES power adapter on U.S. outlets as it may cause issues due the difference in Hz. I'm using a Sega Genesis power adapter and i've made sure that it supplies a similar voltage and amperage in the correct polarity it needs. Keep in mind that various AES revisions exist and that their power requirements differ; There's a 5v and a 9v model iirc.

Last edited:

c0dehunter

Tarma's Gun Polisher
If I use a US game on these Japanese AES, would the censored items (blood, etc.) show up automatically, or are these features region specific? I mean I might be able to live with the fact that the text on most US games show as Japanese on this system, but what about the censored features?

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
All AES games are region free and contain all the languages. The only literal difference between an Japanese release and American release is the language on the sticker, insert, and manual. If you put any AES game (Japanese or American) into a Japanese system, it will play in Japanese with blood and all the goof stuff censored in the American release. The only way to get English text without censorship is to install unibios into the system.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
@OP: Might be a good idea to google, seek out FAQs and use this forums search function before you get into a hobby and/or post question here that have been answered 1 gazillon times... you know, reading a little on your own will safe you a lot of troubles.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Low serial AES' have a daughterboard that is not present on newer revisions. Its been said that this Neo Geo revision had a better build quality but I can't remember exactly what it was -- although i'd just assume that it's more collectible as it was the original AES revision.

The daughterboard wasn't added until around serial number 15,000, and was integrated/removed for subsequent revisions.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
The daughterboard wasn't added until around serial number 15,000, and was integrated/removed for subsequent revisions.

That's correct. The daughterboard is a PLL used by first-gen chipsets to properly synchronize the colorburst clock with the video signals to get a better composite video picture. The majority of the PLL circuitry was integrated in to the second-gen chipsets which is why the daughterboard isn't necessary. The master clock on the neo-geo doesn't run in a multiple of the colorburst frequency like other home consoles so the PLL is required to get a decent picture.

c0dehunter

Tarma's Gun Polisher
I wish the MVS to AES adapter was less expensive. Also I wish there was a way utilizes cheats using a cartridge based device (ala GameGenie for SNES or Sega Genesis) instead of soldering a UniBIOS chip.

c0dehunter

Tarma's Gun Polisher
This is getting interesting by the minute!

Questions:

1) Does it allow to plug in a regular AES for cheating purposes?

2) What about his 161 in 1 MVS cartridge? Can it be inserted into an AES system? or do I need a Magickey first to do the conversion, and then use it on my AES?

3) It seems like that the MagicKey is available for sale here, but can someone confirm if this is a safe site to order?

http://www.ic2005.com/shop/product.php?productid=135&cat=0&featured=Y

It seems like I have 161 in 1 MVS cartridge ($120 or so) and then get the MagicKey for $230 in order to able to play both AES and MVS games on my AES system. Is this correct?

Thanks

Last edited:

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
This is getting interesting by the minute!

Questions:
Does it allow to plug in a regular AES for cheating purposes?
What about his 161 in 1 MVS cartridge? Can it be inserted into an AES system?

Thanks
Buy an Omega CMVS (google to see what it is or search on Youtube) to solve all your problems.

c0dehunter

Tarma's Gun Polisher
I am aware of the OMEGA systems, but in my opinion, they are not the "real", "official" things (even though they have the genuine and real MVS hardware inside them). As a first time potential AES owner, I want to buy the real console.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
1) there are 2 versions, like I wrote and as you can find in the store you yourself linked. One is a converter, it only works with MVS carts. The other version lets you plug in only home carts.

2) there was a conversion made for the home console, it was made by scammer DavidG and sold through the NeoStore (discussed here). It is currently sold out. The question you posed does answer itself: Does a MVS cart work an a home console without a converter? NO! Not even a stinking bootleg like the 161in1 will.

in my opinion, they are not the "real", "official" things
your opinion is wrong.

google to see what it is
OP apparently does not know how to operate search engines. He also expects us to do his research for him.

Nickrb

Angel's Love Slave
I am aware of the OMEGA systems, but in my opinion, they are not the "real", "official" things (even though they have the genuine and real MVS hardware inside them). As a first time potential AES owner, I want to buy the real console.

This is a pretty stupid comment.

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
You are wrong. If you want to play MVS carts the MVS board is the real deal without any bugs. AES is for AES games and converters are not 100% compatible plus you put a lot of weight on an AES with a converter and the MVS cart.

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,

That feeling will wear off quickly, and you'll wish you had just bought an Ωmega. Remember this later when you're hesitant to play an AES game in fear of disturbing it's condition, you could be popping $50 MVS carts without a care to give in the world. If you're in this to stare at your shelf, more power to you on AES, if you wanna play games Omega/CMVS.