AES 9v Graphics Issue: Some sprites ok, some have horizontal lines

darthsylly

n00b
Hi all, first time poster here. Hoping you could help me with the repair of an AES 3-3 9v console.

I got this completely dead. PCB and cart slot very clean, no broken traces (that I've found at least!) or previous repair work.

I suspect someone put in a positive-center adapter and immediately I could see that the LM2576T-5 voltage regulator was blown. I replaced this along with a bulging cap and shorted diode in the same area and got life out of the machine, with a scrambled image.

I could feel both the work RAMs were burning hot, so I replaced them. I then had a yellow screen on start-up, meaning video RAM bad. The fast RAMs were gradually heating up the longer the machine was left on so I replaced both of those and then got - a blue screen hurrah!

But despite the blue screen on startup, and passing all the tests on the Neo Diagnostic BIOS v0.19 (inc. looping tests for several minutes), I have the issue in the video below.

The sound works great. Some sprites look fine, others have horizontal lines. The Unibios splash is missing sprites too. I can't find any images or videos with the same error.

FYI the cart is confirmed working on my other AES.

If anyone knows what the issue might be please let me know because I could use some help.

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Part of the problem looks fix layer related but then it's actually affecting other graphics too.

Maybe the NEO-B1 isn't healthy.

darthsylly

n00b
Thanks for the response! Do you have any tips for troubleshooting the chip? Guessing I test the GAD lines for shorts?