AES joystick worn out - how to replace?

willacb

n00b
Hey all- recently purchased an AES stick, and the joystick is pretty worn out. There is a decent amount of “wiggle” before the actuator hits the switches. I’ve seen mods where the joystick was replaced, though couldn’t dig up any info on how or what joystick was being swapped out. Does anybody have any info on this?

gamelife00

Rugal's Thug
Think it can be tricky to swap out the whole stick without modifying the plastic shell...maybe just replace the microswitches?

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
A Seimitsu LS-56 is a drop in replacement for AES sticks and require no case modding. You just have to swap the original shaft from the original AES stick, but that’s it.

willacb

n00b
A Seimitsu LS-56 is a drop in replacement for AES sticks and require no case modding. You just have to swap the original shaft from the original AES stick, but that’s it.

Great! Just ordered one tonight. Thanks

mdd45

n00b
You should use a spring for an LS-33 if you want tension closer to original.

nmsc

n00b
Is there any guides to replacing these parts, or is it a fairly simple thing to do? I been wanting to do this for my current sticks.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
Dropping an LS-56 into a stick is super simple. You just need to purchase an LS-56, swap over the original shaft from the stock joystick, remove the wires from the original micro switches, and then solder the wires to the wiring harness the LS-56 uses. It could be done in a half hour and just a basic soldering iron will do the job.

nmsc

n00b
Dropping an LS-56 into a stick is super simple. You just need to purchase an LS-56, swap over the original shaft from the stock joystick, remove the wires from the original micro switches, and then solder the wires to the wiring harness the LS-56 uses. It could be done in a half hour and just a basic soldering iron will do the job.

I'm pretty good at soldering, so easy enough. I'll definitely give one of these ago on my really bad controller. If it comes out well, i'll make a video for the other one.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
I'm pretty good at soldering, so easy enough. I'll definitely give one of these ago on my really bad controller. If it comes out well, i'll make a video for the other one.

You’ll be set. Just make note of what color wire goes to what direction, and ground of course. That’s really the hardest part of it. I’m sure it’ll be a really nice improvement over the decades old stock joystick.