AES Sound problem

Eppe

n00b
It's an AES3-6

I can get the AES "splash screen" sound maybe 4 resets on 5,
in game music maybe 1 reset on 10(Which stops as soon as I touch the controller...),
and maybe 1 FX every 30 minutes ...

Same problem with all my games. I use the original power supply.
Cleaned up the cart connector.
Opened the neo geo, but my electronic level is pretty low ...
I did not found any visible cut trace or broken component...

Do someone has an idea about the component which may gives me this sound problem ?

I saw Channelmaniac's repair website, great source of information,
I'd like to send him my AES, but sadly I'm not living in the US,
and can't find someone skilled enough to repair my AES here ...
So I decided to give it a try and bought an iron ;)

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Take the cartridge apart and clean the edge connectors on it with a pink pencil eraser.

Also, inspect the cartridge slot with a magnifying glass. You are looking for green corrosion on the pins. If you see that, you need to somehow clean it off. Sprays won't work on that.

Eppe

n00b
Take the cartridge apart and clean the edge connectors on it with a pink pencil eraser.

Also, inspect the cartridge slot with a magnifying glass. You are looking for green corrosion on the pins. If you see that, you need to somehow clean it off. Sprays won't work on that.

Hi channelmaniac,

Thank you for your answer.

I cleaned up the cartridges today, and looked for any corrosion on the slot but did not find anything, still I cleaned it.
Sadly no result :crying:

it's quite strange sometimes I can get a fx or a part of the music but 2 or 3 sec. late ...

gtsamour

n00b
Had a similar problem (no or badly distorted sound). I have only one game so far so I can't try another. At first I was getting garbled graphics too (NeoGeo splash was garbled too).
After cleaning it (well not so thoughly) the problem was almost solved... the graphics are OK now but sometimes I get no sound, not even the NeoGeo splash sound.

It has to be dirty contacts because if i get no sound at first, i still get no sound no matter how many times i turn the power on and off.
If I get sound (after reinserting the cart) , I'll still get sound each and every time i turn the console off and then on.
So it has to be the cart's contacts.

Since your problem is more severe, I'm thinking that you may have a defective Z80 cpu which is used for producing the sound and is not tested by the console on start up (without a cart in). So you may be getting a blue screen but having a duff Z80. I found somewhere the colour codes.... it said "Blue = All tests passed (The AES does not test the Z80 sound IC)"
Its easy to find a Z80 (AES has a Z80A actually which is a 4Mhz chip) even on ebay and its also easily replaceable if you know basic soldering.

Question...
How do I get the AES cart open? I don't see any screws and I'm afraid to pry it open with a screw driver...

Last edited:

Shogeki

n00b
gtsamour -->

Sounds like a sound driver problem to me (m1 rom), you should be able to solve the problem by just cleaning the contacts with pencil eraser like channelmaniac advised.

Eppe -->

If you are in Tokyo I maybe can take a look at it, I have some neogeo spare parts.
Did you get the neo from a flee market or hardoff (in the junk section), those might have been exposed to corrosion)

gtsamour

n00b
Sorry for asking this again but its important to me :)

How can I open a cartridge without messing it up. There are no screws I can see.... is there a way?