Akihabara : A Japanese style bar/arcade

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
Looks awesome dude! Where did you get all those candies? Are they yours? Are they running teal PCBs, or do you have them on multis or mame?

Sell weed there too, and pizza and beer, and burlesque shows featuring local cosplayers.

Aurich

n00b
Damn, Denver is already on my list for killer pinball locations, this is just more proof that it's a city I need to visit.

DracoBlade

Cham Cham's Banana
Incredible creativity and plain courage doing this dude! Very impressed, I know I would be there everyday if I lived in the area!

neogeogod

Crazed MVS Addict
Wow thanks for all the well wishing and the overwhelming response!! I'm glad everyone is digging it soon as I get out of the line @ the post office I'll answer some of he questions I saw :)

neogeogod

Crazed MVS Addict
There looks to be too much open floor space to have a truly authentic Japanese feel.

I know right! But I wanted to have a spot I could grow into hopefully if everything goes well I'll be adding some more cabs and other unique machines like takio drum master and some sit down racing games like Mario kart.. Initial d maybe

neogeogod

Crazed MVS Addict
Looks awesome dude! Where did you get all those candies? Are they yours? Are they running teal PCBs, or do you have them on multis or mame?

Sell weed there too, and pizza and beer, and burlesque shows featuring local cosplayers.

They are all mine!!!! I had 5 from over the years the rest I got from ken @ the Gameroom in Utah really nice guy a lot of candy cab owners have him to thank I'm sure.

Pcb are all original. #noboots!

1 has a dreamcast hacked I'll be running space channel 5 on it
1 has a Xbox 360 gonna toss skullgirls on it first

neogeogod

Crazed MVS Addict
What about the cost/benefit ratio estimates? The electricity bill alone could be a game breaker... still, congrats on your nostalgic utopia!

Hopefully the alcohol sales help offset the operating cost the mark up on it is unreal so I should be fine rent is cheap enough I have all the numbers I plan on doing ok :)

johhnnyD14

Hardened Shock Trooper
if only boston had some cool shit like this, i'd be there every night. if i'm ever in denver i'll be sure to check it out. hope it lasts a long time!

rumbl3

In Chat With Teh Gh3ys,
Congrats very cool. Sure it will do well arcade/bar here makes a killing. Glad to see folks bringing arcades back good luck to ya ever in Denver definitely check it out. Now I'll crawl back into my hole lol my once a few year post go back to lurking.

frazer99

Living on the wrong, side of the Pennines,
20 Year Member
Great idea. Wish you all the best for the business.

Mr. Mort

Another Striker
Congrats! The place looks great, wish I was local (or had someplace like this near me).

I'd be interested to hear some of the logistical challenges in opening such a business. Was it hard to get a permit/license, any employees, advertising, etc.

Looking forward to that walk-through.

Either way, best of luck!

Sikleflaming

Quiz Detective
This is what I wish barcade in NY was, those candies are gorgeous. SF3S and craft beer are two of my favorite things, I've got family in boulder and I'll definitely make the trip to visit next time I'm in the area.

Like Mort said, I would love to hear the logistics that went into this. I'm sure a lot of people on the forum would love to own an honest to goodness arcade, and I'm sure it was a bitch to make all of this happen, but congrats on chasing your dreams, and good luck on making this thing work!

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
As for the open floor space you could do some cheapish options until you get the dedicated cabs you mentioned and maybe make a spot with some display cases and fill them with misc. memorabilia and merch. Art, game/console boxes, figures etc.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
yeah definitely make sure you fill up valuable floor space at your public arcade with things people can't play or eat/drink on

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Well when the place isn't bumping and people come in and see a giant empty space it doesn't leave a good impression. Not going to take any more room than a couple chairs, it just looks awkward now.

He could spend a couple hundred bucks on a used display case and fill it with Japanese knick-knacks and the people not playing might actually spend a few more minutes in there checking it out. You know, until he tracks down a couple of those $10k dedicated sit down machines.

Also a good place to set up tournament sheets and have local flyers etc.