Akira 4K IMAX release POSTER

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
How soon? I don't think I'll be comfy with going to a theater for a long time.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
No one cares about Kaneda except Tetsuo, and best character is Tetsuo.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I think we should plan a Neo Geo forum field trip.

Who's in?

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
IMAX is overrated.

If you go to a shitty theater (which, over here, is almost all of them). Most IMAX theaters run the bulb at half power because it's super expensive to power and to replace once it dies. I drove to Providence for a few movies because the IMAX theater there runs the bulb at full power, and it looks amazing.

I also saw The Matrix Reloaded at an Omni theater, which was mind blowing - too bad the movie sucked.

Burning Blade

Crazed MVS Addict
Fuck I love this movie, watched in the early 90s on VHS. This and Ninja Scroll were quite the education for a 13 year old. I would be in 100% if no COVID. Why the fuck do they need to release this now, why not wait until 2021 ffs. Also when are we going to get the 4K in the US? I’m not paying rape prices for the Japanese disc.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
To this day still one of my favorite animated movies.Still even it was to be shown where i live. You couldn't drag me to a theater until there's a vaccine.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
That poster would look great w/o the white text.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I'm pretty much Akiraed out. Rewatched it with the wife a few months ago. It's solid, no question. I'm just not interested anymore.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Akira is good and all but its not that good. Why don't they do an IMAX version of Sailor Moon R : The Movie? Because that's more worth seeing.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
That poster would look great w/o the white text.

It's the same art used on the Japanese SE Laserdisc Boxset. I guess they needed to extend it to make it standard poster size and got lazy.

akiraLD_SCa_520px.jpg

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I'm pretty much Akiraed out. Rewatched it with the wife a few months ago. It's solid, no question. I'm just not interested anymore.

Yeah, but I think it would be cool if they added it to the HBO Max lineup, where they have almost all the miyazaki films (no grave of the fireflies)

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I watched that after one of the happy bright Ghibli films and it just kinda ruined my friday night.

It's great if you want to get someone to cry.

I don't think any single country got fucked as bad as Japan did, try as many might to embellish their losses. None of them were hit by a nuclear bomb, much less two. And I struggle to think of other countries that experienced massive and repeated firebombings of civilians. Kind of make you think about the recent news of the US trying to sanction the ICC for investigating the US over war crimes in Afghanistan.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Grave of the Fireflies is overrated.

Eh. I disagree. For it's time, it was an astounding film. I'd say it paved the way for more stories just like it.

Much like the first season is SNL, which hardly has the impact today that it did back then, it's a classic that deserves its reputation. Stories like this in anime may be better executed today but it broke ground in the field of animation.

Manga like this were around forever but for a cinema generation, it was visionary

And it still holds up, IMO.

Last edited: