Alice In Chains

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
What do you guys think of this band? I think they are one of the best bands of the 90’s. Some of my favorite songs are “ I stay away”, “them bones”, “ angry chair”, “ love hate love”, “would”, and “nutshell” to name a few. Layne Staley and Jerry Cantrell had very unique vocals when they harmonized during songs.

Layne staley was a video game nut as he spent his last few years alive getting high on heroin and playing games as a shut in. One of his last pictures before death in 2002 was wearing a metal gear solid shirt. He was a big sega guy and a Rolling Stones interview mentions him playing a portable sega unit.

AA5A4858-FDB0-4E0A-8775-DAD2175626F1.jpeg

Last edited:

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I have 4 of their cds somewhere in a pile.

Layne's voice in Man in a box made me buy Facelift. One of my favorite bands to throw a cd in and do whatever I had to do or relax to.

I got a cassette tape with various artists at a concert with MiaB on it.

Last edited:

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Dirt is one of the most depressing albums I have ever heard and I love it for that

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
Syn- yes man in the box was one of their better early songs definitely. I also have a bunch of cd’s lagging around but I think I’m gonna buy a few of their records soon as I’m just getting into vinyl.

Neorebel- I agree that album is particularly dark, most of the band where on hard drugs or alcohol From 1990 on. Drug addicts can have a sense of hopelessness and sadness and it really influenced their music.

I would of loved to see them in concert.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
What do you guys think of this band? I think they are one of the best bands of the 90’s. Some of my favorite songs are “ I stay away”, “them bones”, “ angry chair”, “ love hate love”, “would”, and “nutshell” to name a few. Layne Staley and Jerry Cantrell had very unique vocals when they harmonized during songs.

This post, sounds so...wooden.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
Saw them at Lollapalooza in 1993. They went on after Dinosaur Jr. who cut and ran after three songs since it started raining and the stage roof blew off. Their first song? Rain When I Die. :)

thermaltreasure

Ninja Combat Warrior
Saw them at Lollapalooza in 1993. They went on after Dinosaur Jr. who cut and ran after three songs since it started raining and the stage roof blew off. Their first song? Rain When I Die. :)

That is so fucking cool. Not a huge fan but they got riffs for sure

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Their unplugged album was the first CD I ever bought. Bought it on post at Fort Leonard Wood as soon as I was out of basic. Still one of my all time favorites. The album was beautifully made and performed, despite their having to basically prop Layne up as he was so horribly strung out.

Of those that came from the grunge scene, AiC was a slow burn with me but as time went on, I grew to love them more than any of the other early 90's big artists. Layne's voice was truly one of a kind and so amazingly powerful.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
This was one of the grunge bands I did not understand. I always changed the radio if it ever came on.
2020, i decided to leave them on. Not too bad.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Their unplugged album was the first CD I ever bought. Bought it on post at Fort Leonard Wood as soon as I was out of basic. Still one of my all time favorites. The album was beautifully made and performed, despite their having to basically prop Layne up as he was so horribly strung out.

Of those that came from the grunge scene, AiC was a slow burn with me but as time went on, I grew to love them more than any of the other early 90's big artists. Layne's voice was truly one of a kind and so amazingly powerful.

Yeah the unplugged album is amazing. I have it on CD somewhere in a box...but I downloaded to my phone last week. This thread had some nice Coincidental timing for me for sure.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Loved AiC as a teenager but that's when I was a mopey kid who needed to get laid. Layne's voice is still incredibly powerful (I spend more time listening to the Mad Season album these days) and Cantrell is a riff monster but I kinda burnt out on them as I got older (and Layne withered away). I'm just not miserable enough anymore to vibe with a lot of the songs.

Though I'll always pull out "No Excuses" during a karaoke session.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
This post, sounds so...wooden.

Because it's the same guy who made a thread asking if there are any fans of Married With Children, and a post in the movie thread asking if anyone has heard of The Thing and that we should check it out.

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
Alice in Chains are great. I still listen to them every once in a while, I just listened to Dirt last week. Self titled definitely doesn't get much attention, but I think it's one of their best albums. Never really got into the stuff without Layne. It's not bad, just feels more like Cantrell solo albums.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Their original stuff still holds up pretty well today, and the newer stuff with DuVall and Cantrell doing lead vocals is better than I expected it to be.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I’ve never seen The Thing.

I know.

I know.

You and me both

Their original stuff still holds up pretty well today, and the newer stuff with DuVall and Cantrell doing lead vocals is better than I expected it to be.

Love AIC..new and old. I’d say Black Gives Way to Blue is right up there with Jar of Flies and Dirt.

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
I think their Unplugged album is the best of the series.

Pearl Jam's is up there too, just officially released on CD and streaming services, finally.

Nirvana's Unplugged is great but very played out.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I think their Unplugged album is the best of the series.

Pearl Jam's is up there too, just officially released on CD and streaming services, finally.

Nirvana's Unplugged is great but very played out.

When I was a Jr in High School, my buddy and his two cousins (one a Freshman and the other in 8th grade) died in a car accident...a very horrific one, truth be told. As you would expect for a triple funeral of kids, the turnout was insane. I rode with some other friends and the entire time we listened to Nirvana's Unplugged. There was such a turnout that the drive there was the entire album in duration. To this day, it has permanently adhered itself to John's funeral so I find it difficult to listen to at times as it takes me right back to that day.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Because it's the same guy who made a thread asking if there are any fans of Married With Children, and a post in the movie thread asking if anyone has heard of The Thing and that we should check it out.

Oh yes, I know.

He sounds like he's auditioning for the reboot of American Psycho.

I guess. I bet if he wrote a review for it it'd be really sweet.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
When I was a Jr in High School, my buddy and his two cousins (one a Freshman and the other in 8th grade) died in a car accident...a very horrific one, truth be told. As you would expect for a triple funeral of kids, the turnout was insane. I rode with some other friends and the entire time we listened to Nirvana's Unplugged. There was such a turnout that the drive there was the entire album in duration. To this day, it has permanently adhered itself to John's funeral so I find it difficult to listen to at times as it takes me right back to that day.

Heavy

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member

Yes I do like a lot of the same stuff most of the other nerds on here like this is true. Also the thing post was my attempt at sarcasm and a joke... It was my poor attempt to troll a gullible member or two..

I think the new Alice In Chains music is pretty good I just heard Rainer fog for the first time the other day and it sounds pretty fantastic.. I think Jerry Cantrell is fairly underrated..