Am I just a big dumb American

Fuzzytaco

Long Dong Silver.,
10 Year Member
Whilst 4 beers deep into my Friday night binge ritual I decided to play some CvS2. Since I haven't been to an arcade in many years, I am acclimating myself to joysticks again. I picked a team of Kim and Akuma, I had no trouble running through the computer but I was getting frustrated because I was having serious trouble pulling off the KOF style supers. I made it to Shin Akuma and, was getting my ass handed to me, now my rhythm is still a little off using joy sticks but couldn't figure out why I could not get off these fucking moves. So after about 7 times of getting my ass kicked I figured I would stand up and hunch over the controls, as this is what I was used to from American arcades. Fuck, this made literally all the difference as I almost beat Shin Akuma with a level two Kim, and finished him using Akumas Raging Demon. Now I am a shorter than average American(5'7") not sure what average Japanese height is, but I was wondering if any candy cab owners also have had to get used to sitting down and playing fighters on their cabs. I figure I am not the only big dumb gaijin whom has had to get used to not standing up in front of cabs. Just wanted to here people's feedback on this, as I am a noob to candy can ownership.
Mods feel free to move this if is in the wrong subforum, or delete at your descretion, as the ramblings of a drunk n00b-Chris

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
Personally I didn't have much trouble adjusting to the sit down style of candy's. I had more problems changing from USA Happ style bat-top sticks to JAP ball tops.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Sitting down at a cab is a far more natural experience for me than standing up. Maybe I'm not old enough or never really went to arcades but I've only ever used japanese sticks so it was really a transition from pad to stick. That was the most frustrating for me. Going from a gun on a pad to a retard on a stick.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'm the opposite. I'm used to using arcade sticks in my lap at home, so when I sit down to a candy cab I'm like "ahhh.... Seimitsu, just like my shooter stick at home!"

I go to an upright cab, with american sticks and I can forget about doing supers.

man9child

Rugal's Thug
I can see how something like this could mess you up. But by the time I got my candy,American arcades were so far gone that I was more used to having a stick at home on my coffee table or something.

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
Personally I didn't have much trouble adjusting to the sit down style of candy's. I had more problems changing from USA Happ style bat-top sticks to JAP ball tops.

I agree with this. I didn't have any clue how to hold the stick with my hands. it was a lot like this:

ricky-bobby-awkward-hands-o.gif

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Uprights with American bat-tops all the WAAY! I honestly do not feel normal at ALL sitting down at a cab. I gotta stand up especially vs other players in fighting games, standing up just makes it that much more intense!

Fuzzytaco

Long Dong Silver.,
10 Year Member
I agree with this. I didn't have any clue how to hold the stick with my hands. it was a lot like this:

ricky-bobby-awkward-hands-o.gif

Lol, I am still trying to find the best way to hold the stick. My old way was switching from the middle of my palm directly on top to using just index and middle fingers depending on the motion.

I gotta stop posting drunk so much.

leonk

Marked Wolf
You know, you can always get a Sega Naomi universal stand-up cab .. best of both worlds for you.

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
You know, you can always get a Sega Naomi universal stand-up cab .. best of both worlds for you.

I want one so bad! I need to email Ken and see what they run for.. This would be my dedicated VGA cab for my 360/DC/Naomi2

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
I hate the look of the Naomi Uni, give me a Astro/New Astro/Blast/E2/E3/Atomis all day long.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Sell me your blast you big American. I grew up American bat. I got used to jap sticks. I can play on both standing and sitting.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
I'm with you man.

Personally, I totally prefer to play Fighters GIAjIN style. I don't care what DIAGO says, or howmany Fight Sticks MadCatz makes. IMHO, American is the only way to play.

Now, shmuping is another story, I think candies are pretty cool for that. But, Fighters, ahh hell no.

leonk

Marked Wolf
There is a fellow forum member here that has an excellent condition Naomi standup for sale in Ottawa Canada (couple hour drive from Bufallo NY) for 800$!

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
Really the question in my mind is whats customs going to say when he drives back over the boarder with that machine. Back when Rez2walker was putting his Montreal group buy together I was down for a Blast. So I called my (not so) friendly boarder agent... Long story short he told me I would need a sale receipt to claim what it was worth so I could pay tax. I told him it was a private sale and best I could do would be a hand written receipt, how would he know if it was legitimate? So he says... "Well if we suspect the value is higher then what your reporting we will assess a charge based on its perceived value." WTF dose that even mean perceived value? What I took from that interaction was... "We will charge you what ever we feel like charging you sucka!"

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Really the question in my mind is whats customs going to say when he drives back over the boarder with that machine. Back when Rez2walker was putting his Montreal group buy together I was down for a Blast. So I called my (not so) friendly boarder agent... Long story short he told me I would need a sale receipt to claim what it was worth so I could pay tax. I told him it was a private sale and best I could do would be a hand written receipt, how would he know if it was legitimate? So he says... "Well if we suspect the value is higher then what your reporting we will assess a charge based on its perceived value." WTF dose that even mean perceived value? What I took from that interaction was... "We will charge you what ever we feel like charging you sucka!"

The border patrol at the Northwest are bunch of punkasses too...It was fine going into Canada but coming out was some bullshit...We were going home w/ the family, we did the whole vancouver thing so we were pretty tired & just wanted to go home. They made us all get out of the car including the sleeping baby, it was freaken cold too, this was close to midnight in the fall...They asked us all these questions like do you have any fruits in the car..Of course they search & didn't find anything...Then we had a crying baby the whole drive back...

Never heard about being taxed by customs at eh Canadian border, i think they may just be giving you a hard time.

im too lazy to travel to pick up cabs now though...I think most i can drive is 2 and half hour; that's my limit...Olympia to Monroe, is that within my limit? I need that Blast.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
How odd is that, paying tax on a cabinet that you're coming back into the US from Canada with. May as well bring a receipt for every shoe, sock and toothbrush you buy too. Crazy.

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
"If your purchases exceed the $200 exemption, you lose the exemption and all of your purchases become subject to duty. All goods must be declared.

Keep the sales slips for all of your purchases as they are proof of fair retail value. All articles claimed under this exemption must accompany you on your return."

http://www.aaa.com/aaa/Traveler/US_to_Canada.html

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
How bout just saying you didn't pay for it, the fact it's a private sale means that you could just be picking it up. Or does it not work like that? That's like charging someone for garbage. Not that a cab is garbage mind you.

Fuzzytaco

Long Dong Silver.,
10 Year Member
The border patrol at the Northwest are bunch of punkasses too...It was fine going into Canada but coming out was some bullshit...We were going home w/ the family, we did the whole vancouver thing so we were pretty tired & just wanted to go home. They made us all get out of the car including the sleeping baby, it was freaken cold too, this was close to midnight in the fall...They asked us all these questions like do you have any fruits in the car..Of course they search & didn't find anything...Then we had a crying baby the whole drive back...

Never heard about being taxed by customs at eh Canadian border, i think they may just be giving you a hard time.

im too lazy to travel to pick up cabs now though...I think most i can drive is 2 and half hour; that's my limit...Olympia to Monroe, is that within my limit? I need that Blast.

It's about a 2 hr drive, but I'm afraid you would just be wasting the gas. I would be willing to make the drive if you ever get rid of your nnc

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
kidpanda: From that same link...

"if the value of each gift does not exceed $60 (Canadian currency). Gifts valued at more than $60 are subject to regular duty and taxes on the excess amount"

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Last time I sent something of value across the US-Canada border, I claimed that it was returned merchandise. XD

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
SNKorSWM: A little harder to claim when its a giant cab sticking out of your CRV... "Oh yea I payed less then 200$ for this" Or "My buddy gave it to me, he says its worth 60$ CAD" That stuff is a one way ticket to a full cavity search, don't forget you lose all rights at the boarder crossing so that's 100% legal should the agent feel its needed. ;)

Sorry I got everyone way off topic here with the US-CAD stuff, its just something I had to research back when I wanted to get a Blast out of Montreal.

leonk

Marked Wolf
I'm surprised by all these tax talks.. I ship things to the US all the time, many times declaring actual value in the hundreds, customers never told me they paid duties to USPS. On the other handing, anything over 20$ coming into Canada get the 13% sales tax (before handling fees)