GI Joe (film series only)
Tomb Raider (film series only)
Candyman
The Voice
Fargo
Shark Tank
The Real Housewives of Orange County
Survivor

Overall the deal includes a library of over 4000 films and 17000 television shows.

Amazon also apparently approached Sony about a buy out of its media properties but Sony said no.

racecar

Strolheim Choir Member
20 Year Member
Might as well they have the cash , they should be snapping up studio with older content like lions gate as well they have a huge retro library. It’s practically free money now with adjust inflation they are better to deploy their capital to use rather then holding it . We might see some reboot of these movies and new one made cause amazon got deep pockets .

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Might as well they have the cash , they should be snapping up studio with older content like lions gate as well they have a huge retro library. It’s practically free money now with adjust inflation they are better to deploy their capital to use rather then holding it . We might see some reboot of these movies and new one made cause amazon got deep pockets .
I would guess that the most likely candidate to buy Lionsgate is the new Warner-Discovery merged entity. Discovery already owns 3% of Lionsgate and Warner seems to be pretty aggressively expanding. There are rumors they are lining up the merged entity to be sold again down the line, and there aren't that many companies that could afford to buy out a $150 billion dollar entity like Warner Bros+Discovey. It would have to be someone like Disney, ViacomCBS, NBC Comcast, Apple, Amazon, or Google.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Just because they have the money doesn't mean they should be allowed to buy...
I remember when PayPal went public and you had to be in a certain financial bracket just to purchase shares...
MLB told mark Cuban to go to hell when he tried to buy in.....
Amazon..remember when they first debuted and they were drop shipping sh8t and losing money...
BB

racecar

Strolheim Choir Member
20 Year Member
Bezo could probables fit in to the bond script as ....

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Doesn't EON own the Bond film rights? UA/MGM only distributed the movies. But whatever. If the Bonds start showing up on Amazon Prime, I'll be happy.

Reactions: Syn

famicommander

15 Year Member
Doesn't EON own the Bond film rights? UA/MGM only distributed the movies. But whatever. If the Bonds start showing up on Amazon Prime, I'll be happy.
EON has creative control, MGM is the primary financier and distributor.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
MGM has been shopping itself around for over a decade. This is a damn good deal for a studio that has been near bankruptcy multiple times.

racecar

Strolheim Choir Member
20 Year Member
MGM has been shopping itself around for over a decade. This is a damn good deal for a studio that has been near bankruptcy multiple times.
well there right place and right time, in this case its Right situation , amazon is lacking in content library to compete in streaming with netflix and disney, after the Timewarner move, and they are playing catch up . would be better/easier to drop 9 billion to buy it , then to build the content. could see them buy more content and marketshare to compete . amazons history shows they are not shy from loosing money to gain market shares and now they have crap loads of it via the stockmarket folks and funds are like shut up and take my money .

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Very conflicted.

I only care about a few of those IPs

And Amazon has been the most mixed of blessings in the history of humanity.

I don't understand how their ownership of the Hobbit works, however. Don't, like, 587285 different companies have a stake in it?

Also, their LotR show is going to be trash. I hope the ghost of Christopher Tolkien goes and pisses in their coffee every morning.

Reactions: wyo

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Now bezo is the bond villain spectre.
Well he is bald and we all know bald people are the real villains in this world.

giphy.gif

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Very conflicted.

I only care about a few of those IPs

And Amazon has been the most mixed of blessings in the history of humanity.

I don't understand how their ownership of the Hobbit works, however. Don't, like, 587285 different companies have a stake in it?

Also, their LotR show is going to be trash. I hope the ghost of Christopher Tolkien goes and pisses in their coffee every morning.

Wait, Chris Tolkien died?!?

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Christopher Tolkien died 1/16/2020.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Over 3 billion dollars of the purchase price is MGM's debt