An AES Prototpe cart Just Hit eBay

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
I wonder if this came from that huge lot that was on YAJ a few weeks ago

Yamazaki

Belnar Institute Student
15 Year Member
Was just gonna write "wait until the reseller puts that huge sample lot one by one on Ebay"

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
a friend of mine saw the lot in a retro shop in Osaka last summer, they were asking no more than 20.000 yen for all the green labeled carts...you know, among loose carts, almost junk..he also thought it was garbage and passed:

just to give you an idea of how much they were valued in the DenDen Town shop selling them (you can see the minasanin the middle, same bent label, he just flipped it back)

beta_neogeo.png

Edit:

speculating a bit:

it seems to me those carts (EPROM, as mentioned in the development manual) were used for beta, almost by the end of the development process (compared to a prototype) like showing the game at shows or sending it to magazines.

Prototypes (early stage development/concept) have been seen in different carts (also mentioned in the dev manual) with PCMCIA storage, usually needed when changing the code a lot.

So to say, there is quite a possibility that the code in the green labels could be identical to the final release...the seller should at least post a unibios CRC otherwise it could be really the most expensive label ever bought..;) (an oh, IMO, the real value is no more than 500$)

Edit 2: ...I asked the seller to post the CRC

Last edited:

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
I thought about this and here is my (personal) conclusion:

retrogaming shops in DenDen Town are not managed by stupid people...the cost asked for each loose cart is somehow the same of a final release loose... so I'm positive they do not differ from the final version of the games, leaving only the label as interesting oddity, so they tried to maximize with just a label.

So to say, the right end-user price for those carts is probably the one used by the shop, which is even less than what I initially estimated.