An April Fools' "prank" 2 weeks too early at a NJ Wal-Mart

Hidden Character

Leader of The Hyperstone Heist,
20 Year Member
"Attention, Walmart customers: All black people, leave the store now."

Blacks must leave store, NJ Walmart announcer says, upsetting customers; company investigates

Bruce Shipkowski, Associated Press Writer, On Thursday March 18, 2010, 1:07 am EDT

WASHINGTON TOWNSHIP, N.J. (AP) -- A Walmart store announcement ordering black people to leave brought chagrin and apologies Wednesday from leaders of the company, which has built a fragile trust among minority communities.

A male voice came over the public-address system Sunday evening at a store in Washington Township, in southern New Jersey, and calmly announced: "Attention, Walmart customers: All black people, leave the store now."

Shoppers in the store at the time said a manager quickly got on the public-address system and apologized for the remark. And while it was unclear whether a rogue patron or an employee was responsible for the comment, many customers expressed their anger to store management.

"I want to know why such statements are being made, because it flies in the face of what we teach our children about tolerance for all," said Sheila Ellington, who was in the store at the time with a friend. "If this was meant to be a prank, there's only one person laughing, and it's not either one of us."

Ellington, of Monroe, and her friend Patricia Covington said they plan to boycott the retailer until they're assured the issue has been addressed so it doesn't happen again.

The pair said they were stunned when they heard the announcement and initially believed they had misheard it. But once the words sank in, they grew angry.

"I depended on Walmart for all my needs, because the store has pretty much everything you could want," Covington said. "But until this issue is addressed in a way I'm comfortable with, I can't walk through those doors again."

Officials with Wal-Mart Stores Inc., based in Bentonville, Ark., said that the announcement was "unacceptable" and that they're trying to determine who made it and how it happened.

"We are just as appalled by this incident as our customers," the company said in a statement. "Whoever did this is just wrong and acted in an inappropriate manner. Clearly, this is completely unacceptable to us and to our customers."

This is not the first time the retailer has faced such problems.

There have been several past instances of black customers claiming they were treated unfairly at Walmart stores, and the company faced lawsuits alleging that women were passed over in favor of men for pay raises and promotions.

In February 2009, the retailer paid $17.5 million to settle a class action lawsuit alleging racial discrimination in its hiring of truck drivers.

And the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission sued the company in May 2009, claiming some Hispanic employees at a Sam's Club subsidiary in California were subjected to a hostile work environment. That suit alleges managers failed to stop repeated verbal harassment, including the use of derogatory words, against employees of Mexican descent.

However, the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People has said the company has worked hard in recent years to show it cares about diversity.

Bill Mitchell, a former Walmart employee who was shopping Wednesday at the store, said that he was saddened to hear about the announcement but that "as a black man, I've heard worse things."

As customer Sharon Osbourne, of Williamstown, left the store Wednesday, she called the announcement "appalling, stupid and sad."

I think this would've been one of the greatest April Fools' Day prank ever if whomever said it could've waited, but oh well.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Will all black people please leave the thread. Thx

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
Easy solution.
Never shop at walmart.

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
Sounds like a random dumbass grabbing the mic and ruining management's day.

I can't believe people are taking it this seriously though. What was said was wrong but if the kid had yelled CUNTWAFFLES over the mic or something it wouldn't be an AP story with an official company statement and a throng of angry customers.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
"I depended on Walmart for all my needs, because the store has pretty much everything you could want," Covington said. "But until this issue is addressed in a way I'm comfortable with, I can't walk through those doors again."

What a fucking idiot.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Should have said niggers.

If you're going to pull a race-degrading prank you might as well go all-out.

aria

Former Moderator
Sounds like something a /b/tard newfag would do to impress their friends --I await the YouTube recording his cohorts likely made.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
wtf? there are no racists in the northeast, this must be a mistake

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
They actually one upped the videos of Burger King employees taking a bath in the store sink, or was it the Dominos employees serving snot flavored pizza?

Buro Destruct

Formerly known as, Buro Destruct, , Southtown Stre
Should have said niggers.

If you're going to pull a race-degrading prank you might as well go all-out.
exactly. which means it was probably some brainless white kid who wasn't ballsy enough to say it.

elixir

NAM-75 Vet
Ellington, of Monroe, and her friend Patricia Covington said they plan to boycott the retailer until they're assured the issue has been addressed so it doesn't happen again.

Looks like this prank was a success.

IsamuBlue

Formerly Megatron2929
This is why the only Wal-Marts I go to are in the higher class neighborhoods. You have respectable people of all races instead of the stupid bullshit from shit kickin' wannabe wiggers, "vatos locos forever!"cholos, and ghettoed out "hood nigguhs".

Seriously...fuck Wal-Mart! Super Target is where it's at!