Analogue Pocket

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
I like how they teased the date that they were announcing the preorder date. So much rage in my Twitter feed that it didn’t actually go on sale today. :D

I’m sure this will be cool, but at this point with my flash carts and modded hardware I don’t think I’m in the market for this.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I was really into this idea, especially with the adapters for the NGPC. Now that I modded my GBA and NGPC, I don't feel this is needed much anymore.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I would gladly throw some cash down for this - I was also enraged at the prick tease date they threw out. But the reall buzzkill for me is May 2021 shipping date. I don't think I care anymore.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
When are FPGA people gonna stop trying to compensate for their small epeen and admit it's emulation?

Seems like a neat device though, as long as the adapters don't cost a fortune Polymega style. A "portable MiSTer" isn't bad at all.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
I want one just so I can have a consolized NGPC LYNX and GBC, and have a higher quality GBA.

Probably won’t ever leave the dock.

stormy

B. Jenet's Firstmate
10 Year Member
I would rather have a mobile Chinese rom box or modded psp than pay $200 for this but I'm not really a mobile gamer anyway.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I would rather have a mobile Chinese rom box or modded psp than pay $200 for this but I'm not really a mobile gamer anyway.

$200 is just the base price but after you factor the accessories, shipping, and tax, it'll be probably closer to $300. I'm not a mobile gamer either so I'm straight. The switch has me covered for the few times a year I might actually go mobile.

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Woozle’s Consolizer for GBA and soon to be released NGPC kinda made this thing less interesting to me.

But I’ll wait to see reviews of the buttons and d-pad before I decide. If they don’t get those feeling on-point then the whole thing is trash IMO.

There’s no point in playing on these devices if the controls feel terrible.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
Woozle’s Consolizer for GBA and soon to be released NGPC kinda made this thing less interesting to me.

But I’ll wait to see reviews of the buttons and d-pad before I decide. If they don’t get those feeling on-point then the whole thing is trash IMO.

There’s no point in playing on these devices if the controls feel terrible.

Do two expensive mods instead of one expensive item?

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
It's an easy pre-order for me. I know Analogue doesn't get much love here, but I've been quite impressed with their other offerings over the last couple years. There's a number of key features that have piqued my interest. My biggest concern is the d-pad, but considering they have partnered with 8bitdo for the last few years it may turn out to be quite nice.

I figure if I end up not liking the device for any reason I can just turn around and sell it on Ebay for double what I got it for.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Would be cool if the "May 2021" ship date is a worst-case scenario and it happened to ship sooner.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
hardware isn't any good until it's available.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
This shit uses an older cyclone chip I've read which means that you can probably forget about 16 bit cores and up. Pass on this, especially with the insane shipping amount. Very happy with my Mega SG and Super NT though!

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Would be cool if the "May 2021" ship date is a worst-case scenario and it happened to ship sooner.

I think this is probably a best case scenario case. Wouldn't surprise me to see delays. I'll probably just buy it and forget it till i get it.

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
This shit uses an older cyclone chip I've read which means that you can probably forget about 16 bit cores and up. Pass on this, especially with the insane shipping amount. Very happy with my Mega SG and Super NT though!

Weirdly enough a while ago Kevtris said on AtariAge forums:

"The Pocket will run genesis and SNES cores, so it can play those things, along with the gb/gbc/gba functionality. We are allowing homebrew cores for it, so anything is possible."

But even if that's true I HIGHLY doubt he'll be allowed to 'unofficially' release a new firmware with those different cores, because then where would the market be for their Mega Sg and Super Nt anymore? People could just buy the Pocket + the HDMI Dock then run ALL three systems (and many others) on the Pocket by itself and they would loose sales for their SNES and Genesis devices. This is also the same reasoning (I assume) why there isn't a jailbreak to play Genesis on the Super NT, or play SNES on the Mega Sg – they want to keep things segmented a bit.

Anyway, I'll be getting one pretty much to solely replay those Castlevania GBA games I love, especially when a bone stock (not even upgraded with a nicer quality backlit screen) folding GBA is running like $130+ on ebay, the Pocket really isn't that much more and you get a lot more (plus it's new, not old).

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The biggest draw on the other systems is the ability to play really carts in a newer tv with no fuss. The people who want to just play teh romz are already rocking Pis or Mister.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
and its gone .......

I don't buy the whole Covid excuse either. These dudes's whole business model is based on fake scarcity. Whatever, I'm just gonna IPS mod a GBP and call it a day.