Analyzing MVS Cabinet Audio for Upgrade

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
So I've been getting into audio engineering pretty heavily the past few months. Built a new system for my car, budgeting out materials for building some new towers and a center for the livigroom, and now I want to figure out how to modify my Big Red for better audio.

I'm sure that someone here has analyzed the audio from Neo Geo games already. I ran a few tracks from Metal Slug 2, Viewpoint, and KoF 97 last night through Audacity. It seems that most all tracks output frequencies ranging from ~40Hz to ~16kHz (I'll post graphs later).

Taking that into account, the puny little 3" speakers that come stock in these cabs can't possibly have a range to accommodate these signals. What I'd like to do is find a way to integrate a small amplifier and tweeters with passive high pass crossovers into the cab while also upgrading the 3" speakers to 4" midranges and throwing a sub in the bottom.

My biggest concern isn't picking the components, it's more or less where the fuck do i put the tweeters? I'd like the marquee to remain untouched. I thought about drilling holes in a pattern similar to the ones already there for the mids closer to the outside of the panel, but I'd rather it remain looking stock. If I place the tweeters in the roof of the cab, the reflection would probably sound god awful and slightly muted.

So has anyone done this before or have any suggestions?

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
You're better off using 2-Way mids with a balanced dome tweeter in the center. Recess the speakers some and you shouldn't have any issue.

Vouch on the 2-Way mids. If you're really wanting dedicated tweeters maybe look into putting them in the middle of the two speakers? You would still have some reflection but I do not really see a better place unless you were to mess with the marquees which I wouldn't. Have you looked into moving the MVS-ELA and placing the speakers around there? Could also just test it out and see what works best, the reflection may not be that big of a deal. I've been thinking about an audio upgrade on my big red as well.
I'm interested in how this turns out, make sure to keep us posted! :)

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Hah, when I made my first CMVS and connected it to my stereo I was tripping on how much bass these games had. Also I think Hogan's Alley has some as well.

Hah, when I made my first CMVS and connected it to my stereo I was tripping on how much bass these games had. Also I think Hogan's Alley has some as well.

I recently hooked up a set of nice desktop speakers through my headphone jack and was pleasantly surprised! The bass on Viewpoint made that count down (or count up) on stage one even more desirable :buttrock:

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple

I did a pass on the Technodrome stage music from TMNT and holy shit. Most of the music is actually below 500Hz, which means I've never heard it. I'll look to see if I can find some solid mids with integrated tweeters for starters to hook up to the Lepai amp I have. I can almost guarantee that a sub is going to be needed for the low end though.

miisalo

Astra Superstar
I'm thinking about upgrading my cab with full range elements. There are really good ones that are not so expensive. Of course some sort of subwoofer is also needed if I want lower frequencies (<80-90Hz)

And yeah, CMVS + home theater = amazing.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I'm thinking about upgrading my cab with full range elements. There are really good ones that are not so expensive. Of course some sort of subwoofer is also needed if I want lower frequencies (<80-90Hz)

And yeah, CMVS + home theater = amazing.

A cab with an MV1C modded for stereo with a full range audio setup would be sweet. Put like a bazooka sub woofer in there.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
You gonna go as far as to tap the digital audio signals and run it into a DAC? :)

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
You gonna go as far as to tap the digital audio signals and run it into a DAC? :)

That's the plan. There's only one way to do it right.

A cab with an MV1C modded for stereo with a full range audio setup would be sweet. Put like a bazooka sub woofer in there.

Hey man, can you post a pic of where i need to tap the audio on a 4 slot before the amp section? Preferably with the L&R channels labelled? I'll love you forever.

I ordered a really small 20W class D amp today. I think I've settled on what drivers I'll use for the full range 3.5s. Not exactly sure yet. I want to run some simulations using the T/S parameters on how they'll react in an open baffle setup first. I juust don't think that the board in the Big Red will be able to hold up a sealed or ported enclosure on the backside without having to also build some sort of brace. If it turns out that that's my only option, then so be it. But we'll see.

If the drivers I have in mind are what I ultimately use, a guy that's way smarter than I am has already developed a filter for it to even out the frequency response in the midrange. So that makes it easier.

After all of that, I need to figure out the sub setup. I'm not sure how to proceed with that yet due to space limitations and the probable need to fab a baffle or section so it doesn't just rattle the fuck out of the coin door mechs the whole time.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Before the amp on a 4 slot should be from the 2.7kohm resistors from the LM324, they should go to the headphone slider. Pin 1 is right, Pin 16 is left on the 2066D so which ever pins those are connected to on the opposite side of the slider.