Anime Recommendations

Yoshi

20 Year Member
With western media circling the drain over the last ~seven years, I'd like to dive a little deeper into anime. What would you recommend? Bonus points for sharing the optimal version (uncensored for example).

edit: Damn it. I posted this in the wrong forum. Please feel free to move.

herb

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Genocyber
X/1999 (movie not the show)
Parasyte: The Maxim

Last edited:

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Area 88 OVAs
Gundam: War in the Pocket
City Hunter (TV)
City Hunter 2 (TV)
Ariel OVAs
Crusher Joe (movie)

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Dirty Pair
Bubblegum Crisis
Giant Robo
Beautiful Dreamer
Space Adventure Cobra
Patlabor
Megazone 23

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Armored Trooper Votoms
Record of the Lodoss War
Fist of the North Star,hey manliest anime ever made
Macross TV series or it's movie do you remember love
Big O
Gundam Char Counter Attack

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Haha, wha?

You think western stuff is bad and are looking to anime? You’re 30 years too late. The classics will always be classics but anime sucks ass now and it is largely because of how much it’s influenced by gaijin money.

Find a “must-see” rec.arts.anime post from 1999 and watch that stuff. Maybe five to ten decent things have been made since then and almost nothing that’s actually great. Everyone today will recommend mostly stuff from back then. Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Nausicaa, Royal Space Force, Do You Remember Love?

Verdict: go back to Star Wars.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Area 88 OVAs

When I was a kid, they had Area 88 at a local movie rental place and I thought hey that looks a lot like UN Squadron. So I rented it and it was great but it was only the first OVA. I have all of them now but havent gotten around to watching them.

I started Gurren Lagann and have only seen 1 episode so far.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
When I was a kid, they had Area 88 at a local movie rental place and I thought hey that looks a lot like UN Squadron. So I rented it and it was great but it was only the first OVA. I have all of them now but havent gotten around to watching them.

I love that you connected it to U.N. Squadron. ^_^

My experience was opposite; I was reading the Viz run of the Area 88 comics in the late 80s/early 90s when one day a U.N. Squadron cab replaced the Final Fight cab at my local Pizza Hut.

I was positively *floored*.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year

My experience was opposite; I was reading the Viz run of the Area 88 comics in the late 80s/early 90s when one day a U.N. Squadron cab replaced the Final Fight cab at my local Pizza Hut.

I remember it was one of the first games I rented for the SNES, along with renting the SNES from Hastings before I could save up enough to buy one.

I recently played through the SNES port on the MiSTer the other day, still a fun game. The levels where you have to fight the huge fortress or the sub and you basically make a U-turn and the levels up in the clouds were like WOAH back then.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member

Viz kids of the 90s would never know the (Tomuka Shouten mandated) commitment to qualify that was 80s Viz. At least as good as the JP originals…in the end replaced by Canadian value-engineered crapola. OG Viz, Nausicaa, Grey, Kamui, was top shelf. A thing of the past.