Any 16-bit puzzle games better than Tetris Attack in your opinion?

Steve

The Wonder Years,
Lot of good title drops in this thread. Yes, Super Puyo Puyo is pretty badass, especially the last SFC version which houses a 4 player mode. Panic Bomberman also has a 4 player mode. Keeper is loads of fun but pretty obscure in the grand scheme of things. Good to see another Soukoban fan. My GF and I actually been playing 2 player Super Soukoban on SFC lately and it's a blast. It works your brain in a different way from your average falling piece puzzle game.

I'll have to check out Pac Attack and Pieces. I heard good things about those games over the years (particularly) the latter and will definitely pop it in sometime this year.

One game I haven't seen mentioned is Konami's Tsuyoshi Shikkarai Shinasai - Taisen Puzzle-dama. That's very good as well.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Good to see another Soukoban fan. My GF and I actually been playing 2 player Super Soukoban on SFC lately and it's a blast. It works your brain in a different way from your average falling piece puzzle game.

It's 100% logic, no luck or locomotory skills needed -- that's very fascinating. Plus, there are tactics that recur, which means a real learning curve. Later and bigger stages are divided into parts, each part requires its own tactic, making it up to three or even four tactics to use consecutively in a single stage. It feels like assembling a sturdy yet complicated piece of machinery.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
There is no puzzle game better than Tetris Attack / Panel de Pon / Puzzle League. All others are below it. Tetris and Puyo Puyo are among the most overrated and worst.

What about Magical Drop / Money Idol Exchanger? I really love these. I've been playing Magical Drop III like crazy for the past few months.

SmaMan

Cheng's Errand Boy
Man... I love Tetris Attack. I still think Tetris itself is my favorite, but it's so much fun.

I believe other(s) have brought up Super Puzzle Fighter, which I definitely second. While not 16-bit, it's definitely in the same vein as Tetris Attack as far as it being a competitive puzzle game. And that tactile feeling of smashing a ton of gems is amazing. I've spent plenty a bathroom break lately playing the new Free-To-Play mobile version Capcom just released of it.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
What about Magical Drop / Money Idol Exchanger? I really love these. I've been playing Magical Drop III like crazy for the past few months.

They're ok but still cannot touch Tetris Attack for the amount of control one has over the game. That's the one thing I find that truly separates Tetris Attack from its peers, it is the puzzle game equivalent of a 1v1 fighting game like Street Fighter 2 because of the degree of control that is given to the players. There is none of that Puyo Puyo nonsense of pre-building a chain and hoping you can pull it off. In Tetris Attack, you can build chains on the fly, it is just sublime.

The polar opposite would be a game like Candy Crush, which is the puzzle game equvialent of a slot machine. You make a move and watch what happens...

Last edited:

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
They're ok but still cannot touch Tetris Attack for the amount of control one has over the game. That's the one thing I find that truly separates Tetris Attack from its peers, it is the puzzle game equivalent of a 1v1 fighting game like Street Fighter 2 because of the degree of control that is given to the players. There is none of that Puyo Puyo nonsense of pre-building a chain and hoping you can pull it off. In Tetris Attack, you can build chains on the fly, it is just sublime.

The polar opposite would be a game like Candy Crush, which is the puzzle game equvialent of a slot machine. You make a move and watch what happens...

Nice post. Should have been your first. Pointing out flaws is more than a difference of opinion.

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
Panel de Pon > Tetris Attack

Money Idol Exchanger is better though.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
Money Idol Exchanger is better though.

Is it because you like cutesy anime girls, or do you actually think it's better than Magical Drop III, gameplay-wise? MD3 flows so much better, and is faster. Not to mention the character roster.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Is it because you like cutesy anime girls, or do you actually think it's better than Magical Drop III, gameplay-wise? MD3 flows so much better, and is faster. Not to mention the character roster.

Money Idol Exchanger controls way better in terms of input responsiveness. If you want proof just test frame advance in mame to see how fast inputs are queued and iirc MIE is 2 frames while MD3 is 3 frames. It is faster in terms of you getting killed but both games lack a combo cancel which would help a lot (like Puyo Puyo Tsu).

I may be in the minority but I like Magical Drop 2 more than 3 since patterns come down in rows instead of cascaded/columns. On a related note I wish there was a mod to have character themes play in versus mode.

Last edited:

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member

Better gameplay. MIE makes the player think more than MD3 does (have to account for currency exchange, two types of item pieces, needing to place two of the same item pieces together in order to activate them), which in turn affects speed and flow. I actually kinda hate the artstyle of MIE, and prefer MD3's.

bloodhokuto

Меня зов
15 Year Member
I was never really into puzzle games much, played a bit of teris of course over the years.

Then I was at the HOG arcade in London a few years back and got introduced to Money Puzzle / Idol Exchanger and it blew my mind.

After that I ended up checking out a whole load of puzzle games that I never even bothered with before. Of course this lead me to try the MD series, but even though I like that too, I will always come back to puzzle exchanger.