Any Advice for an Interview?

systmdfect

Baseball Star Hitter
So, I've been looking for an entry level HR job for months now. This is the first serious response I've received. I would be interviewing for a position as an HR call center rep. I would be a contractor for my training period then after 6 months I would be turned over to full-time. Not my ideal position but it will get my foot in the door and I would get experience in my field of study.

Anyway, this is my first interview in over 5 years since I've been with Best Buy for so long. To say I'm a little nervous is a damn lie. I'm good at talking with people in person and it usually doesn't take me long to figure out their personality. I'm just nervous about what questions this person could ask me and how to answer them. I also graduated over a year ago so I get this feeling like I've forgotten all of my studies. Help...

Oh, the job would be with Ericsson.

Marek

Banned
Be relaxed.

Thank the interviewer for the opportunity to interview for this position.

Speak slowly and deliberately. Getting flustered and losing your ability to give proper thought to whats about to come out of your mouth is an interview killer.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Honest advice:

- Let the interviewer talk. A lot of people seem to be so flustered they just ramble on and on. Let your interviewer ask a question, think about it and give them a concise answer.

- Think right now about these questions, as they will probably be asked. Why are you interested in this job? Why are you looking to leave your current employer? What is a difficult problem you've encountered on your current job and how did you resolve it? What is your most proud achievement? Think about these now. Remember, never speak bad about your old job or past coworkers. It never comes off right, even if they were complete assholes. If you're just looking for new opportunities or think it is time to challenge yourself a bit more, tell them that.

- If this is a phone interview, have a glass of water nearby. It's saved my ass in the past. If the interview is in person, dress the part. Definitely dress up to a point you feel confident. The more confident you are the more comfortable the people interviewing will be that you can handle the job. Trust me on this one. I've interviewed people that didn't have the chops on the resume, but I liked the way they handled themselves and they became damn good employees because of how open and easy they were to work with.

- Look up the company/position today and prepare a few questions for the interviewer. This may not be the best time to talk about compensation or benefit packages, but it could be an excellent opportunity to ask them about something their CEO just said, or get some clarification on some recent news articles. It's also a good time to ask about why they're looking for someone. Just like they want to know why you're looking for a new job, it would be very helpful to know why they are looking to hire new people. Is it because they're expanding? Is it because they've taken on more work? Is it because everyone else walked out last week? Good info to know and it keeps you on a level playing field with the interviewer.

- Finally... relax. If you're right for the job, you'll be right for the job. If the job requires something you've forgotten from school, you'll manage. You'll likely pick up whatever it was in a week or two on the job anyway. Having the confidence and the personality to get along with the team is worth way more than something that can be relearned quickly on the job. Just be yourself and it will go fine.

Last edited:

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
Be relaxed.

Thank the interviewer for the opportunity to interview for this position.

I can't stress this enough, but send a Thank you Card to the interviewer after the interview thanking them for taking time out of their busy schedule for meeting with you. I know this sounds old fashioned, but people really admire a person who takes this step. NOT AN EMAIL, but a real letter.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Interviewing is a skill.
Practice with a friend or mirror. Those questions already mentioned will be asked. You need to be able to speak to your point clearly.

Have some questions prepared. What are the growth oppurtunities here? Could you go over your yearly review process?

Try to have personality. Once you have proved you are technically capable, you want to make yourself stand out somehow. Be affable.

Let us know how it goes. I have a friend that is really trying to find an entry level HR position. I don't even know where to look.

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
It is always good to have some examples in your back pocket. I suggest you come up with at least 10-20 questions like the few below.

1. example of how you handled conflict with an employee / conflict with customer
2. example of when you had to use critical thinking in a stressful situation
3. example showing your teamwork skills
4. example of how you improved your working area in the past, ie when you improved some facet of the job to make it more efficient.

Other common questions that can stump people.

Tell me about your self? You can mention some quick thing about yourself, but you really want to focus on your traits with examples if possible. Good multi tasker - > examples, always punctual - > example, quick learner, team oriented, etc etc.

What is a negative about yourself? This one is always a bitch.
Something like: " Well, I do not have experience working specifically in a HR call center, BUT in my current position as a ___ at Best Buy I have ample experience with many of the same job requirements that are needed in a good HR rep. Mulittasking, friendly service, detail oriented, blah blah and so on.

If the interview is on site ask for a quick tour once its over.

Optional: bring a little notepad and pen, ask if you may take notes during the interview.

Clean shaven and nice clothing of course.

Past that you just need to either search the web or buy a couple cheap used books with interview questions and start thinking about them.

The idea isn't to memorize response to hundreds of possible questions and answers but just to be familiar and confident. If you have went over 100+ possible questions and answers and written them down you will be more confident for sure.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If it's for HR, Look them in the eyes and nowhere else. Seriously, don't have wandering eyes.

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
Lots of good advice in this thread, I interview people on a regular basis and as the interviewer I wanted to touch on a few things that are important to me during an interview.

Honest advice:

- Let the interviewer talk. A lot of people seem to be so flustered they just ramble on and on. Let your interviewer ask a question, think about it and give them a concise answer.

While I don't want them to ramble on, I DO like to hear them speak and I tend to ask questions that allow them to do so. For me it's not just about them being capable of doing the job as many people are, it's about whether or not I think they'll fit in as well.

Have some questions prepared. What are the growth oppurtunities here? Could you go over your yearly review process?

Try to have personality. Once you have proved you are technically capable, you want to make yourself stand out somehow. Be affable.

Exactly as mentioned above, this will help a LOT. Also wanted to stress how smart it is to have a few questions prepared, it seems many people go through the motions of trying to get a job but don't really care or don't act like they care. Maybe because they are nervous etc. However, having some questions prepared will help show your desire to get the job.

Tell me about your self? You can mention some quick thing about yourself, but you really want to focus on your traits with examples if possible. Good multi tasker - > examples, always punctual - > example, quick learner, team oriented, etc etc.

My favorite question to ask at an interview is tell me about yourself. What happens the vast majority of the time is they start telling me what's on their resume/application. I have that, I've looked at it, and I don't want to hear you tell me where you went to school etc.

What Gum_Drops said about traits is a perfect example of what I want to hear, as well as your 'safe' hobbies. I wouldn't mind hearing that your into video games but I probably wouldn't tell most interviewers that. Stuff like fishing, watching a certain sport etc. It lets them get to know you a bit better.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
If you are nervous, I find that a few shots of whiskey help to calm down. And maybe a xanax on top.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
- Look up the company/position today and prepare a few questions for the interviewer. This may not be the best time to talk about compensation or benefit packages, but it could be an excellent opportunity to ask them about something their CEO just said, or get some clarification on some recent news articles. It's also a good time to ask about why they're looking for someone. Just like they want to know why you're looking for a new job, it would be very helpful to know why they are looking to hire new people. Is it because they're expanding? Is it because they've taken on more work? Is it because everyone else walked out last week? Good info to know and it keeps you on a level playing field with the interviewer.
Can't emphasizes this enough.

Dress slightly better than the dress code of the job, or equal if it is already a suit and tie place.

Give them a follow up call a couple days later to see if the position has been filled.

Show up maybe 5-10 minutes early, anything more can be a bit off putting, and obviously do not be late.

KaPH33n

Sieger's Squire
When I'm interviewing I always wear a suit (abnormal in the game industry). I do it more for myself than the employer, because I want to feel confident. I think confidence in yourself is probably one of the most important factors. When it gets down to the nitty gritty most jobs can be handled by one of nearly infinite college grads, make sure they know you're serious and capable.

One thing I tell myself... If you've gotten to the interview stage you've already got the job. They want the position filled, why else would they be interviewing you.

systmdfect

Baseball Star Hitter
Thanks guys! There's alot of great stuff in this thread. I've touched on some of what all of you have recommended in the past. I asked the staffing agent as many questions as I could while she was screening me on the phone. I got a bit of good information to go off of. I've got a small pocket notepad I will be bringing with me. It has some good questions I would like to ask.

I do need to practice my interview skills though. Like I said, it's been a while since I've had to do an interview. My dad performs hiring functions for mid-level positions at the Federal Reserve. He's going to help me practice.

I was quite surprised when they called me back at 10am today because the position had only been up for 2 days and I applied at 7pm yesterday.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Dress appropriately. If it's a serious office job, dress business casual or in a suit and tie.

If it's retail, dress business casual

IF you're interviewing for a fun job in the entertainment industry like a game tester, dress fun, like a Mario shirt and cargos. Wear dressy cargos though, like black or baige.

-Be yourself. Don't give them any bullshit or what you think they want to hear. They'll probably be smart enough to see right through you. Be enthusiastic. If you come off like you're just there for the paycheck, they'll pass you over.

Above all BE HONEST AND TELL THE TRUTH!

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
When i applied at the Lumber Mill, I wore dress pants, a button up shirt and a tie.

In all of my time working there, I never once saw an applicant wear anything like that. And all job interviews include a walk through.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
When i applied at the Lumber Mill, I wore dress pants, a button up shirt and a tie.

In all of my time working there, I never once saw an applicant wear anything like that. And all job interviews include a walk through.

Were you interviewing at the Packard Sawmill?

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
So, I've been looking for an entry level HR job for months now.

the-office-toby_l.jpg

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
if its for HR, leave your soul at the door. god they are evil. ive never met an employee that trusted an hr person. i sure as hell dont. pure evil.

j_heiger

Crossed Swords Squire
-Dress the part. I am amazed how many people don't.

-Be prepared. I might advise calling the company and find out of there is a specific style of interview that they do. I work for the Federal Government and they have a set style. If they do have one, google it and find out exactly what its all about.

-Prepare an actual answer to the question, "Why are you applying for this job and why are you the most qualified?" I have tried to wing it on an answer and it always ends up crappy.

-Be yourself and be honest.

Good luck

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
-Dress the part. I am amazed how many people don't.

-Be prepared. I might advise calling the company and find out of there is a specific style of interview that they do. I work for the Federal Government and they have a set style. If they do have one, google it and find out exactly what its all about.

-Prepare an actual answer to the question, "Why are you applying for this job and why are you the most qualified?" I have tried to wing it on an answer and it always ends up crappy.

-Be yourself and be honest.

Good luck

QFT

j_heiger

Crossed Swords Squire
Just thought if this too.

It is not at all unreasonable to ask for a copy of the questions they will be asking you at the start of the interview.

This helps you ensure that you answer each part of a question. Sometimes they like to ask multipart questions ie. tell me about a time .... how did you follow up .... what was the end result ... what could you have done differently .... and so forth. They won't always prompt you if you leave certain info out so be prepared.

Starbuck

Rugal's Thug
If you know anyone that already works there then it would be really useful to have a chat with them about what their interview involved?