Any Suggestions for Obscure and Hidden Neo Geo Gems?

Elder

NEST Puppet
Hey everyone,

For those that don’t know, I run a YouTube channel (https://www.youtube.com/user/ProjectCOE) and I love showing people games they may have never heard of before, or discussing classics, and hidden gems. Last year I started to throw in MVS games into the regular schedule, however I’m no expert. I mean sure I know a lot about the big games, after all who doesn’t, but what I’d really like to show people and experience for myself are some of those more obscure and hidden gems people don’t really talk about.

I’ve covered Savage Reign, Kizuna Encounter, Magician Lord, Prehistoric Isle 2, Strikers 1945 Plus, Metal Slug, Metal Slug 2, Metal Slug X, and naturally Knight’s Chance. I haven’t had the chance to cover games like The King of Fighters, Samurai Shodown, or Blazing Star/Pulstar, but I plan to once I can get my hands on the games. I’m sure more than a few of you have some great suggestions for hidden gems and obscure games that would be great to highlight, so please share!

Edit: Added The List!

Top Hunter
Windjammers
Spinmaster
Breakers/Breakers Revenge
Ninja Masters
Twinkle Star Sprites
Kabuki Klash
Nightmare in the Dark
Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer
Aggressors of Dark Combat
Neo Turf Master
Neo Drift Out
Baseball Stars 2
Last Blade 2
Mr Do
Panic Bomber
Viewpoint
Shock Troopers
Waku Waku 7
NAM 1975
Money Puzzle Exchanger
World Heroes Series
Sengoku Series
Mutation Nation
Robo Army
8Man
Ninja Commando
Ganryu
Super Dodge Ball
Blue's Journey
Crossed Swords (Purchased from Azra113, thanks dude! Review incoming.)
Last Resort
Matrimelee
Zupapa

Last edited:

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
Top hunter, because people play it and like it, but never even know there's a move list.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Metal Slug was an obscure Neo Geo game? Top Hunter was a good call, I'd throw out Windjammers and maybe Spin Master.

Last edited:

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Great. Now people starts making videos of hidden good Neo games, and their prices skyrocket :(

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Hey Elder. I actually watched all your neo-geo segments last year and found them pretty entertaining. You should check out Breakers/Breakers Revenge. It's a very component fighting game with mechanics closer to Street Fighter than KoF. Twinkle Star Sprites is also very fun. They are on the 120 in 1 if you want to go that route.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Kabuki Klash is a good one, also Nightmare in the Dark.

Let me get a copy of Nightmare in the Dark before you do a segment on it, price is already higher than it should be.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Top Hunter is awesome, I own it on MVS. I just wish the AES version wasn't so ridiculously overpriced.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
I got the Japanese homecart version a few years back for the low end of the price guide. Each planet has an extra stage compared to the multicart version.

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
check out voltage fighter gowcaizer. pretty cool fighter that not many people talk about

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
Ninja Masters and Breakers Revenge are a couple of awesome fighters on the Neo Geo that no one talks about.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
besides the already mentioned titles, I think Aggressors of Dark Combat is pretty interesting. In my experience Neo Turf Master, Neo Drift Out and Baseballstars 2 aren't often associated with the Neo Geo but are hot titles outside of the fighters department.

@madman: Windjammers? SRSLY? That game has been covered over and over.

Elder

NEST Puppet
Metal Slug was an obscure Neo Geo game? Top Hunter was a good call, I'd throw out Windjammers and maybe Spin Master.

Lol, no Metal Slug surely isn't a hidden gem, but like I said in the original post, I highlight classics, obscure, and hidden gems ;) Windjammers is one I've been trying to purchase for over a year now because it's a classic I grew up with, and would love to highlight in a video.

Thanks for the Spin Master suggestion :)

Elder

NEST Puppet
Great. Now people starts making videos of hidden good Neo games, and their prices skyrocket :(

No need to worry about that, the prices are already up there as is. My channel isn't anywhere near popular enough to suddenly cause a million people to race out and look for these games. I've got a nice hardcore following which is great because it allows me to have personal connections with these people, which is awesome.

Elder

NEST Puppet
Hey Elder. I actually watched all your neo-geo segments last year and found them pretty entertaining. You should check out Breakers/Breakers Revenge. It's a very component fighting game with mechanics closer to Street Fighter than KoF. Twinkle Star Sprites is also very fun. They are on the 120 in 1 if you want to go that route.

Glad you enjoyed the videos :) I have to cycle through content, which is why I don't stick with one platform. I'm thinking of perhaps changing my format to maybe do one month on Neo, one month on the Atomiswave, one month on the Genesis, etc. This would allow me to have variety, and also allow those who only enjoy one system over another a chance to dig into some meaty content.

Thanks for the suggestions :) For MVS games, I always try and hunt down the original carts if I can, although as of late it's becoming harder and harder to do so I find.

Elder

NEST Puppet
Kabuki Klash is a good one, also Nightmare in the Dark.

Let me get a copy of Nightmare in the Dark before you do a segment on it, price is already higher than it should be.

Don't worry about prices going up with my vids man, I don't have anywhere near the subs for something like that. I've wanted to cover Nightmare in the Dark before, but like you, can't seem to find a copy o_O

Elder

NEST Puppet
Top Hunter is awesome, I own it on MVS. I just wish the AES version wasn't so ridiculously overpriced.

I looked into it, and yeah it seems like a pretty sweet game. I'll be sure to check it out, assuming I can find a copy for a decent price ;)

Elder

NEST Puppet
besides the already mentioned titles, I think Aggressors of Dark Combat is pretty interesting. In my experience Neo Turf Master, Neo Drift Out and Baseballstars 2 aren't often associated with the Neo Geo but are hot titles outside of the fighters department.

@madman: Windjammers? SRSLY? That game has been covered over and over.

Perfect. I'm going to edit the OP and create a list.

Thanks to everyone for all the great suggestions :)

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I've found not too many people talk about neo Mr Do or Panic Bomber, and they are very good puzzle games. Also, NTM isnt obscure but one of the most fun games I've played for the neo. People who hear about it for the first time don't usually think of golf games as fun, but im sure a review in your style would really bring some needed attention to it.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
I would wholeheartedly agree with recommendations for Breakers Revenge, Neo Turf Masters, Spinmaster, and Neo Drift Out. And while they're not unknown to this community, I would say that Viewpoint, Shock Troopers, Waku Waku 7, NAM 1975, and Money Puzzle Exchanger should get more recognition.

Oh, and it's not the greatest game, but Aggressors of Dark Kombat is probably the closest thing to a "hidden gem" anyone's mentioned thus far. Good call, xsq.

check out voltage fighter gowcaizer. pretty cool fighter that not many people talk about

There's a reason for that. Haha. Seriously, though, I have the game on MVS and besides the art style/presentation, there's really nothing that good to say about it.

PunkicCyborg

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Money Puzzle Exchanger is one of the best puzzle games on the system and gets little talk. Its greatly overshadowed by magi drop but its very good once you learn the rules