Any Valis MD Fans In Da House? MD Collection Coming in 2023

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member

I played the first Valis on and off for a while, didn't really click with me to be honest but I know there are a lot of fans out there so I thought I'd bring this up here. The package looks neat I guess.

Preorders end on November 27.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Like the series, hate these goofy current "re-issues" on old formats.
100 percent. Never understood the appeal. Just fake fan produced shit no matter how you look at it.

Would have been far better to have a complete collection of every version of every game in the series ported to a modern system. Except Valis X of course.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I've got the Valis 1, SYD of Valis (SD Valis 2), and Valis 3 Genesis carts, and the butchered SNES Super Valis 4 port. I like them, but, they're pretty average action games.

One time, I almost sculpted a figure of the flea-like enemies in the first subway level of Valis 1 and I like the tiger riding boss in Valis 4.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
those games are terrible, why would anyone play them?

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Valis III is the only one worth playing on the genesis as for part one i prefer the pce version over it.I all most consider buying the reprint for valis III given original copies have become rather pricey for no reason,but i'm fine just playing it off the everdrive.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
To me, the games always seemed like an excuse for Telenet to make those cutscenes. Formed together the cutscenes and story are on par with anime stuff from back then.

At the same time, I recognized they were charming games on their own. Very simple and sometimes strange, but charming all the same.

Coincidentally I played through Valis III a month ago and probably liked it even more than when I first played the game many years ago. Still managed to give me goosebumps seeing Yuko jump off a building to grab her sword, such a cool moment. The music is also great.

wataru recommended me to check out the PC Engine Valis games (which are the originals), and yeah, I was a bit bummed how lacking the Genesis versions were. Missing whole levels, even.

The Valis series was never top-tier, but good enough for an afternoon.

https://www.neo-geo.com/forums/index.php?threads/valis-complete-pc.91674/ -- "after Yuko transcended humanity in #3 I dunno, it just kind of went down hill for me." lmbo merc

edit: lmbo how the hell is Valis III on Genesis going for over a hundred dollars on ebay. I sold a complete one for $15 back in 2011.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I will give Valis III a try then, had it on my Everdrive for ages but never played it because I found the first part quite underwhelming. Like M said, it's not a bad game, just average: I guess the story is an important element which drives the game so next time I play a Valis game I won't skip the cutscenes and read the damn text.

By the way, Retro-Bit will also re-release Advanced Busterhawk Gleylancer, a game I love dearly. Since original carts go for silly prices these days, I'm really tempted in this case. I mean, yeah, they're reproductions and all but still fully licensed by the original company and guaranteed to work 100%.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
I will give Valis III a try then, had it on my Everdrive for ages but never played it because I found the first part quite underwhelming. Like M said, it's not a bad game, just average: I guess the story is an important element which drives the game so next time I play a Valis game I won't skip the cutscenes and read the damn text.

By the way, Retro-Bit will also re-release Advanced Busterhawk Gleylancer, a game I love dearly. Since original carts go for silly prices these days, I'm really tempted in this case. I mean, yeah, they're reproductions and all but still fully licensed by the original company and guaranteed to work 100%.
Retro-bit reprint of gleylancer is the one i will order asap.Sure it's a easy shoot'em up but it has a great ost and really good game play which is a must for me.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Valis 1's story is the most interesting to me, with Yuko eventually having to kill her classmate, Reiko. I'm sure it lost some of its' impact with the still text screen images on the Genesis version, compared to CD animation/sound though.

Here's what I believe is the only Valis fan art I ever did, back in 1996 I think:

notebook16_073012.jpg

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
There's also an Evercade cartridge with a couple Valis games, Renovation Collection 1. Not my favorite series, but I played through the PC-Engine ones back in the day.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
I don't understand the point of reproductions of games where there are plenty of used copies that don't cost $100+. Amen to III's soundtrack being awesome. Only one I could beat was PC Engine remake of 1.

I took the plunge on this one.