Any worthwhile YouTube gaming channels?

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
I've taken to having YouTube in in the background during Covid, and sometimes like having gaming videos in (whether reviews and such or just raw game play.)

A lot of the mainstream ones are obnoxious... Matt mcmuscles with his "wha happun" click bait titles over things that are nothingburgers. Top Hat Gaming Man seemed OK for a second, but really doesn't know his shit.

By contrast, Video-game Esoterica (awbacon) has some good tech stuff and obscure 90s arcade shit that I like. Davecontrol has mostly enjoyable play throughs of the Kings Field shit I love.
Who else is worth watching?
(I guess I should specify, mostly looking for 90s and early 2000s stuff)

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Splashwave if you want the history on games.One of the more underrated channels on yt.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
Neo Alec has some great content if you're not watching his videos already, but I also have come to enjoy Wrestling With Gaming who's Neo Geo video Neo Alec helped with, as well as Sega Lord X.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
Splashwave if you want the history on games.One of the more underrated channels on yt.

YES! Second this!

I discovered StrafeFox's channel a few years back. Consistent, quality content. Sadly no Neo stuff, but his documentaries are top notch in research and production. Due to the quality he only publishes one every couple months.

Jeremy Parish's channel is always good stuff - legendary games journalist.

SNES Drunk is fun if you want a quick hit of some rando SNES games (with some other 16 bit stuff thrown in).

Slopes Game Room has some cool "history of" documentaries that are always well researched and informative.

KimJustice has a great channel that focuses mostly on old European micro-computers, and the dude is hilarious.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Girlfriend Reviews is pretty funny but their 'millenial' style of humor may not be to your taste.

Super Bunnyhop does some of the best analysis I've ever seen.

Gaming Historian is awesome.

GVMERS does awesome retrospectives.

Digital Foundry is a must watch whenever they cover a game you're interested in.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I was going to say Splash Wave/strafefox, as well. I've only seen that Castlevania video but it blew me away how well-produced it was. It's a shame it's only got 70k views, stuff like that deserves hundreds of thousands of views. Seriously, what's that guy's day job? I don't think I've ever seen something like that on youtube.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I like My Life in Gaming. It's like a mini documentary every time. Also a big fan of Gaming Historian. Gamesack is kinda ok as well.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
I like My Life in Gaming. It's like a mini documentary every time. Also a big fan of Gaming Historian. Gamesack is kinda ok as well.

I second MLiG. I actually know Coury in real life back in mid-00's. We hung out several times, his passion of gaming is way stronger than mine. He is also a professional video editor so it is natural that he combined his talents and passion into a superb channel (along with Try). Their documentary on M2 and Tom Dubois (he did all the NES/SNES Konami cover arts) were really something else.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
The only channel I watch regularly is Bithead1000. Most gaming channels are by and for millennials and the younger crowd, talking about "hidden gems" and other stuff most of us 40+ guys knew about long ago.

Shout out to Neo Alec, CGQ, and others though. If any member of the forum makes videos I'll check them out. Shroom's "Rise of the Machines" video was honestly better than 99% of YT game related content.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
RetroTech is a really informative channel about CRT's. The guy really knows his stuff.

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Some of my faves:

Nostalgia Nerd (not always accurate when it comes to certain historical or technical topics but I like his style)

Paul Jenkinson (probably the best ZX Spectrum channel ever (always looking forward to his Spectrum Show, ep. 94 has just been released four days ago), also check out his website and Speccy magazine (!))

8-Bit Guy (the OCD cleaning man, very thorough, mostly no-nonsense vids, lots of info on older micros)

ChinnyVision (I like some of his hardware reviews but he's more a collector than a gamer which shows when he demonstrates games on systems he reviews)

...and another vote for Kim Justice, some of her vids are among the best yt has to offer in terms of games and gaming. Very well researched and presented.

I also love [Vinesauce] Joel's long-ass "madness" vids, the ones about the PC-88 and MSX are hilarious to no end. He also has other more serious stuff which mostly is somehow related to Nintendo stuff so I'm not that interested in those.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
The only channel I watch regularly is Bithead1000. Most gaming channels are by and for millennials and the younger crowd, talking about "hidden gems" and other stuff most of us 40+ guys knew about long ago.

Shout out to Neo Alec, CGQ, and others though. If any member of the forum makes videos I'll check them out. Shroom's "Rise of the Machines" video was honestly better than 99% of YT game related content.

Bithead1000 gives zero fucks about being some big dick retro gamer and has average joe opinions on games, which immediately sets him apart because this means he doesn't pretend he's a gaming expert like virtually everyone else on youtube. Even though his first video was bullshit (no he didn't go to jail by hitting his wife after she threw out his games, lmao) he's still the most genuine guy with a "4k face" online.

He's at his best when he retells stories from childhoods or rants about daily life (which usually takes more than half of the screentime of every video), his gaming stuff is just a side bonus. And on his gaming stuff: you can tell he legitimately enjoys the hobby just by the way he talks about his games, almost every game seems to trigger a childhood anecdote or 10 minute story and he's genuinely excited by games that most mainstream youtubers won't touch because it's "bad", according to the internet hivemind.

I just miss his garage sales videos... that was the bithead1000 golden age.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
8-Bit Guy (the OCD cleaning man, very thorough, mostly no-nonsense vids, lots of info on older micros)

Just please do not use paper clips to try and series or parallel 2 PSUs. If you watched that video you know the end result. He thought he could take 2 PSUs and put them in parallel as the voltage does not change. He failed to realize by using parallel he doubled his current potential. Thus, watching his voltage rail go up in smoke. Likely due to a short or a component beyond its life or outside its specs. To which, he was better off testing the PSU properly in a load condition and measuring draws.

I personally like Modern Vintage Gamer of course. One of our own, has the experience and knowledge on his subject matter and actually researches his topics beforehand.

Last edited:

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Just please do not use paper clips to try and series or parallel 2 PSUs.

lol what a genius, which video is that? You'd think he'd know better.

--
I know this is not gaming related, but if you are a fucking NERD like me who likes electronics and programming, check out Ben Eater, he has pretty interesting videos on breadbording a full 6502 computer, and his stand out video is the SVGA bitmap display card. It's just cool. https://www.youtube.com/user/eaterbc/videos

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Gamesack is usually worth a watch, though Joe makes a lot fewer videos now that it's just him and no Dave. Covers a nice variety of games and hardware with a pleasant presentation style and good knowledge.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
i still watch a lot of the collectards. They remind me what I would have become had I not grown up.
Keeps my videogame buying in check.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Yeah Kim Justice is the real deal. Very authentically English

Scott the Woz is brilliant, better than most other similar millennial types doing these things.

Nitro Rad is rad

Super Bunnyhop is super

Gamesack is pretty lame now since it's become a one man show. The magic is gon

Lord Karnage is dearly missed. He was the best.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
By far the best 8 Bit Guy moment

View attachment 56764

Lol had an professor do a powerpoint presentation in class one time. The dude for some weird reason had an internet shortcut to "black monster cocks"on his desktop.
I started chuckling, I think I was the only one who saw it.