any xrgb users? (low res systems with fake scanlines on lcd screens)

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
i'm thinking about building a new gaming setup for myself once i got some other stuff done.
i don't really have the space for a proper candy cab, i don't want to have to take care of a crt and i don't like the fact that they weight 200+ lbs, which is why i might have to use a lcd screen. a few questions:

could someone please take a few high res pictures of the neo geo playing on a 1080p panel with fake scanlines? or one of those 16:10 monitors, if you've got one of those.
apart from the 16:9 ratio, are you guys really happy with what the xrgb does? meaning, does it look at least as good as ... say ... neoragex with enabled scanlines?

is it possible to switch between a full screen (stretched picture) and that fake 4:3 mode with the black borders on the left and right side?

can the xrgb-3 handle the neo's (mvs) rgb and sync signals? some say that the xrgb-2 is the best one for arcade hardware, but apart from the mvs i only want to use a mega drive and a super nintendo. plus, i think i read that the xrgb-2 can't display the fake scanlines.

any experience with lg's newer panels? not sure, if their tvs are just as good as their monitors or if the refresh rates are remarkably slower. all i know for sure is that i don't want to use anything made by samsung or toshiba.

gundamalpha

Rugal's Thug
I never have success displaying MVS on LCD through XRGB2/3 (B0 mode) due to sync problem, monitor nor TV. Plasmas and CRT works for me though.

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
Been a while since I owned my XRGB2+, but I think it did scanlines if I remember correctly.

Don't have an answer for you on MVS as I owned a cab. I only ever hooked up consoles to it. 2D Saturn games looked amazing on my LCD through SCART. Most everything else was not quite as sharp with the exception of DDP on PS2.

Never tried 16 bit systems on it as I no longer own any. And on that note, as an alternative, may I suggest possibly picking up a modded OG XBOX. This is what I currently use to play 8/16-bit games on my HD LCD. They look extremely nice hooked up via component. Some emulators will even do scanlines. Progear in HD with scanlines looks pretty slick. Just get some sort of joystick converter (I usually use my Agetec stick or a Saturn pad on my XBOX) and you're set.

SuperDeadite

Zero's Tailor
Fake scanlines don't look as good as real scanlines (It's easy to see the difference between my CRT VGA Monitor and my actual 15k arcade monitor. But still a great picture. And yes the old 2 is the best for arcade hardware. It's the only one that can handle boards with weird sync rates. From personal experience I can tell you that the 2 will play Xexex, but the 2+ and 3 won't.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
i already own a modded xbox.

the thing is that i have a few mvs boards that i want to use and the xrgb-3 can be bought off ebay without much hassle.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Several XRGB-3 owners can get a stable picture from their AES/MVS in B0 mode but not in B1 mode (i.e. scanlines mode):

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3050809&postcount=18
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3009614&postcount=41
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2985083&postcount=10

AES connected to an LG panel via XRGB2+:
http://a.imageshack.us/img576/2087/aesrgbxrgb.jpg

Sync problems may also depend on the TV and not on the XRGB. With euro TVs of course you can check that easily by connecting the neo directly to it.

Last edited:

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
I use my XRGB-3 strictly in B0 mode, which means no fake scanlines (which I am okay with). B0 seems to handle the weird sync issues on LCD TV without problems, my MVS and all PCBs work fine with it.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Just got a xrgb-2+ and I'm going to be running it on a 20 inch Dell Lcd 4:3. I've heard best results are achieved from a crt. Although I love crt's, I really don't want to have a bulky monitor (especially if its over 20") sitting on my desk, but if thats what I have to do then so be it. I've tried running my Snes via s-video through my xrgb and it looks like ass on a lcd, but I figured it would. Waiting for some rgb cables to arrive for my super gun, neo, and mega drive. Will post some pics of what the picture looks like once they get here. Might pick up a crt also to do a side by side comparison if I find one at the right price.

Artemio

NEST Puppet
Here are mine:

3772160079_0118ee6482_b.jpg

3644926110_849c2a084d_b.jpg

3610981457_494a83de20_b.jpg

These are in B1 mode with scanlines, taken with my cameraphone using AES and a Samsung 46" A950 LED/LCD panel.

We created a wiki for XRGB-3 users, which you might find useful http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/XRGB-3 it has information on specific issues with every system I've tried so far, and from several more users regarding the whole XRGB.3 experience using PCBs and home systems.

I also took a bunch more pics of other systems running on the same setup, they are here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/artemiourbina/sets/72157618847413089/

Last edited:

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
Sync problems may also depend on the TV and not on the XRGB. With euro TVs of course you can check that easily by connecting the neo directly to it.
do you think it would make a difference, if i would do the following:

mvs -> neobitz component -> xrgb -> tv through vga in

not that i want to do this. just wondering, if this might be an option if all else fails.

Better to just get a CRT
actually, i just got a second 20" crt tv.
i would really like to have a cab, though. i thought that a mix of an astro city and vewlix would be nice. especially since i read about the xrgb and the fake scanlines.
i still have to take care of other things but i'm already collecting parts that i think might be useful later on. first thing to arrive will be a hss-0130 virtua stick pro.

THANKS! i used a crt for years and imo that looks pretty much perfect.

was your aes/ngh rgb modded? is the picture stable?

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
mvs -> neobitz component -> xrgb -> tv through vga in

not that i want to do this. just wondering, if this might be an option if all else fails.

This is not a good combination, I can tell you from experience. There is a lot of noise in the picture/signal when using this. I made an RGB supergun and sold off my neobitz supergun specifically because of this problem.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
This is not a good combination, I can tell you from experience. There is a lot of noise in the picture/signal when using this. I made an RGB supergun and sold off my neobitz supergun specifically because of this problem.
i think you just saved me $100+. thanks.

Artemio

NEST Puppet
THANKS! i used a crt for years and imo that looks pretty much perfect.

was your aes/ngh rgb modded? is the picture stable?

No, AES is stock. I have also 3 MVS boards, and use direct RGB from them and difference is minimal. For reference, my serial is 093237. As far as I have read, this is in the batch that has a "fair" RGB out, albeit not the best.

As described in this page: http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Neo_Geo_MVS I had to set up AFC to manual and level 3. If you want to see pics of what happens, it is the same as with system 16 in this page: http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/System_16 (just scroll to the bottom)

regarding using neobits or other encoders, RGB is the best quality you can get.. always use it over any encoded/modulated format when possible as input.