Anybody completely remove sugar from their diet?

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I’m curious if anybody here had actually gone through with it. What was your experience? As I’m getting older, I’ve found myself making adjustments to my diet and am considering this next step. Everything I’ve read says the first few days are a bitch but then your body has switched processes and that you immediately feel better. I don’t think I’ll ever be able to make the jump to vegan/vegetarianism, but no sugar seems doable.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Doc told me to cut off sugar and flour but I still haven't gone through with it completely. Wondering what responses are going to pop up in this thread.

Neo_Mike_81

King's Dry Cleaner
I tried to, but didn't work out. I personally don't like sugary stuff though.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I did it. Lost a ton of weight. Couldn't stay clean and put some of it back on though. I try to limit sweet stuff though. Wednesday nights I get ice cream. The rest of the time a little added sugar is OK but I try to avoid super sugary stuff like Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Are you talking about removing natural sugars too from your diet like Fruits, vegetables, & dairy?

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I'm not sure what keto exactly is. I've heard of it, but never read into it.

fake - how long were you "clean"? What made you go back to it, even if you're limiting yourself?

I'm not talking about removing natural sugars found in fruits. I'm considering a diet of just meat, fruits, and vegetables. I don't eat candy or drink soda, but I do love bread and pasta. My weakness is Red Bull, I probably have 2-3 a week. I've considered going sugar-free with that, but I think it would ultimately be easier to just cut it out all-together. I also take cream with my coffee, so I'm considering just going black there as well.

Sugar is in almost everything, though. It's going to be wild navigating through which foods have it and which don't. I'm curious if anybody has gone through with this.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
No. For a while I limited added sugars but stopped. The only weight issue I have is keeping weight on.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Avoid high fructose corn syrup like the plague and try to avoid processed product with more than 10 grams sugar content. The cane sugar substitutes ,sucrelose,etc are garbage as well. You have to be extra careful with your sodium intake too!
BB

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
Quit drinking Red Bull and don't sweet your tea or coffee first. 2 or 3 are way too much weekly. Drink one after one month without it and you will notice how incredibly sweet this stuff really is. Addicted peeps normally don't notice way too much sugar.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
No sugars, no gluten, no grains, no yeast, no dairy, no soy, no nuts & seeds for the last 5 years. You’d be amazed what you can do without and what changes you can make for your health when you need to.

40lbs down when I was eating strict Keto.

Food can be a whole thing for some people, but at the end of the day, it’s fuel to keep you alive. Better to put the right things in to keep you going.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Cutting down on processed sugar and processed food in general is a good idea but elimination seems unnecessary unless it's required for medical reasons. I got back in normal BMI range mainly by not storing alcohol in the house but I'll give you my soda when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Did it for a month this year, felt like a new man. More energy, more stamina, no brain fog, more focused...felt good man. Also felt happy and positive.

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Sugar is in almost everything, though. It's going to be wild navigating through which foods have it and which don't. I'm curious if anybody has gone through with this.
Same with salt, there's no way to remove it, you can only try to confine it. But pretty much yes, it'll help. According to latest trends I heard, eating less is not as helpful as eating the right combinations, amounts and times, which is also quite impossible to integrate within your average day. Like eating five times during the day, each portion worth about 300 calories? Who can maintain such a discipline, right? Sure, a severely religious moslem perhaps... so, no dice.

Talking about restraining other less heathy things: switch to spring water, limit purines and saturates, throw out any fried/roasted food out of your diet, replace it with steamed/stewed cooking. The latter is in my opinion very important. I always laugh at people who don't eat meat, but fry their vegetables, and everything else for that matter, with sunflower oil or worse. Use a thought-out mix of spices to give you a good punch without using salt, like chili etc.

Anyway, to make it short: removing is not an option, but restraining is still worth it.

PS I almost forgot, switch from beer to red wine. Something tells me that a french version of LoneSage (aka SageSolitaire) could outlive us all...

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
Rather than remove sugar (I have a massive sweet tooth), I changed my diet to the following at the beginning of 2020 and almost two years later I'm healthier than I've ever been at 40.
  • Intermittent fasting has helped me to control not only what I eat, but when I eat and how much.
  • Eat from the hours of 10am-6pm: Light brunch around 10, small snack of nuts and fruit mid-afternoon, dinner and desert before 6.
  • **you'll need a schedule that works for you, but the catch is 14 hours between your last meal and your first.
  • Mostly pescatarian diet (fish is the only meat I eat, with red meat or chicken on rare occasion)
  • NO salty snacks - opt for dried fruits and nuts instead. Takes a while to get used to this, but I don't even want Fritos now.
  • ONE sweet treat a day. Like, one cookie, or just two scoops of ice cream instead of five - that sort of thing.
  • I cut out soda decades ago and don't much like alcohol, so I don't have to contend with those vices.
I also started a daily yoga practice in 2020 and that has also proved massively beneficial to my overall mental and especially physical well being.

Hope this helps give you some ideas. You'll need a plan that works for you and it took me a while to find what works for me. They key here is that you need to find a diet/routine that you can sustain.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
I cut out sugar a few years ago. After a few months I had lost around 10kg. I stuck with it for another 6 months or so but then fell back into the old habits.

We’re not getting any younger man. I say fuck it, eat what you want. Leave a fat, clapped out body in another 40 years.

FUCK YOU ALL TO HELL!!!

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Stop chasing stupid fads and eat like a fucking human.
That doesn’t work for people who ate badly during long periods of time. Eventually you have to pay the piper. If you see you put on a pound, skip dinner, or just don’t eat for the day. Weight variance is a killer.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Oh yeah, stay away from red bull type drinks & sodas! They may as well have a skull and bones on the labels nowadays.High fructose corn syrup was introduced to the mainstream back in the early nineties like a thief in the night and I'm certain that that chemical additive has wreaked havoc on plenty of kidneys.It has also played a big role in child hood obesity,etc.
BB

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I do not add sugar to anything, but it's really hard to avoid sugar or corn syrup overall....