Anybody here got love for the Mortal Kombat Games?

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
lithy said:
Can anyone explain why Block has to be a separate button?

One more button to do fatalities/moves with.

You can block whenever the hell you want versus having it automatically done for you.

You're able to do :up: motions without jumping and fucking up the move/fatality.

You're able do input special move motions while blocking.

Your movement isn't affected by your blocking, and vice versa.

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
I'll give MK2 props for being an interesting game to mess around with, but thats it.

First time I saw MK1 at a local arcade, I immediately thought... wow that game looks like a cheap PC game from the late 80s. Basically, when digitized graphics was all the rage on Amiga/PC games (remember Narc - arcade, Crime Wave - PC, etc).

IMHO the MK series catered to WWF / Monster Truck / Slasher flick fans or 7 yr old boys.

Fish_Monger

Another Striker
Mortal Kombat Gold on Dreamcast is the greatest MK ever made. However, I wish they'd go back to the early formula and put real computerized people in there. It's what made MK so awesome.

Dandy-J

Crazed MVS Addict
I loved MK when I was a kid, I loved it because everyone was too busy playing it and I had the Neo cabs all to myself.

I didn't think any company would want to make a game that looked like that since Pit Fighter.. fatalities, who knew? Apparently Midway did and made a shitload of money out of it. But is it a solid fighter? No, not really,.. or at least it didn't feel like solid gameplay.. but it was a fun game to watch people play. ^^

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
needless to say on mk2 i kicked neod's ass tonight \\o

WeinerDogSunglasses

Ghost of Captain Kidd
15 Year Member
Fish_Monger said:
Mortal Kombat Gold on Dreamcast is the greatest MK ever made. However, I wish they'd go back to the early formula and put real computerized people in there. It's what made MK so awesome.

Wow, you are very wrong.

I say keep 2d fighter franchises 2d

Fish_Monger

Another Striker
jdd1510 said:
Wow, you are very wrong.

I say keep 2d fighter franchises 2d

No way dude.

1. MK Gold was fast, sleek and wicked cool.
2. The old computerized actors in the original MK games is what made them "different" from everything else. It gave MK it's own flavor. Maybe that's just too retro for some people......

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
StealthLurker said:
IMHO the MK series catered to WWF / Monster Truck / Slasher flick fans or 7 yr old boys.

this is basically 100% true.

KagerouSama

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
15 Year Member
Fish_Monger said:
No way dude.

1. MK Gold was fast, sleek and wicked cool.
2. The old computerized actors in the original MK games is what made them "different" from everything else. It gave MK it's own flavor. Maybe that's just too retro for some people......
Why the particular love for Gold, but not Deadly Alliance, Deception, or Armageddon?
It's still the same engine, isn't it?

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
KagerouSama said:
Why the particular love for Gold, but not Deadly Alliance, Deception, or Armageddon?

MK Gold was just the MK4 engine with high resolution textures.

From DA on they used something else.

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
i certainly loved UMK3 on Arcade that's for sure....

MK2 I saw it played a lot back in the day, but somehow I just liked playing UMK3 and I found it more flexible for combos.

ShmengeTravel

Mature's Make-up Artist
The MK series can be a surprisingly balanced game depending on which one you play. I love them :)

I grew up in NY, where back in the day it was Street Fighter vs Mortal Kombat all the way, no one here even knew what KOF was. Hell I didn't know what it was until someone mame'd it to me a few years ago. But MK can be a very competitive game. Hell, even VF3 can be competitive.

SVC Chaos... not so much.

Fish_Monger

Another Striker
KagerouSama said:

No way. Play Gold and then play one of those others. Gold is fast, sleek, and fluid. Those others are slow, thick, and sluggish. It's 180 degree difference.

And yes, MK Gold is a "better" version of MK4.