Anybody used a GAMEBOX (2012) jamma board / emulator?

chrisg

n00b
Yeah, I _think_ it's a CPS and MVS emulator (running on PC-based hardware), with a hard-drive pre-loaded with about 450 roms.

It appears to boot to a custom ROM-selection menu system. I don't think it's MAME. I don't know any more than that though. I'm always slightly skeptical of these things...

Cheers

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
The build on the 2008 Gamebox was piss poor. Fans would blow out, overheat, along with broken solder points. The 2012 version has awful audio. There's a good selection of games on there, but the thing may crap out on you within a few months. It may be hit or miss just as the old 1xxx-in-1.

chrisg

n00b
Thanks OMFG - that doesn't surprise me. Retail price of £140 doesn't imply they use the highest quality components. I think I'll steer clear.

My endless quest for a nice MVS cabinet continues..

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
yea i try to avoid any multiboards with any type of moving parts, the ONLY multi i would even consider is the 60 in 1, but then all those games are oldie vert games. i.e. pac man, galaga, etc.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
1) get an OG Xbox, swap the HD, & load it up.

2) get one of these:

4453763b-cf7a-c1f6.jpg

Enjoy xxxxx-in 1 on your cab.

Entire thing should run you under 150 usd.

chrisg

n00b
Thanks for the tips. Forgive my noobish questions, but which emulator do you recommend? FBAXXX?

I'm going to continue my so-far-fruitless quest for a 'proper' MVS cab for a bit longer, but this does look like a nice option.

Thanks all

I just ordered the Gamebox 2012 (not the 450 in 1; dos based ) but the new 700 in 1 (win2k based) for my Neo Geo MVS-4slot.

the olde gamebox 2008 isnt that good but the 450 in 1 (2012 )is not that bad as red on many forums and youtube movies

for the 700 in 1 i never red any review as its new and not that many ppl are offering this yet.

when i received i will make a good review of this gamebox 700 in one.

Last edited:

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
The multi's are always intriguing but honestly in this day and age you should be able to scrap together a pc that is greater than a P3 and make your own mame box.

lions3

Igniz's Servent
The multi's are always intriguing but honestly in this day and age you should be able to scrap together a pc that is greater than a P3 and make your own mame box.

Yeah. If you must emulate...
PC + hyperspin + mame = awesome.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
I'd either use some old pc hardware or get a nettop. Something like the zotac zbox nano ad10 or the newly announced (updated) foxconn nettop. I'm sure you could even use the mainboard from an old netbook, if all you want is to play emulated classics.

gegrago

Mr. Big's Thug
I have a Gamebox 2012 with games. I bought it because I don't have the time to look for parts and build a PC for gaming and it had all my favorite classic games and more. It does have some issues with slowdown and frame skip in some 60 games including the street fighters and some shooters. I had to change the processor to a 1.3 Ghz Pentium 3 (around 11USD)and now its fine and running great.
It depends, If you are crafty maybe its better to build your own; if not, I think this is a good option for the money. Now should be around 175 USD.

Coleridge

Pleasure Goal
Sorry for the potentially dumb question, but is this the 2012 model you were discussing back in May? Is it a later one? I know multiboards are just mame-lameness, but I'm debating on picking up one anyway. This seems like a great price on one, but I'd really like to hear from someone who has one before I pull the trigger.

Gracias

PS Sorry, I didn't think I should start a new thread for this question.

http://welink.cc/detail.asp?catid=73195&Pdtid=619227

fox

n00b
I dont like the interface. a PC with hyperspin is so much better, and you can customize eaiser and make it the way you want it.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
I bought one from ebay for $100 USD. The thing is toast, I'd recommend just getting a cheap computer and running mame. personal opinion is all. Not worth it.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Or a modded xbox w/ Coinop is a cheap alternative too...

fox

n00b
what about one of these 2100 in 1? http://www.excellentcom.net/catalog.asp?catid=69773&subcatid=52158
are these any good at all? i dont mind if its not perfect arcade quality just like to play and have fun and not pick apart every game. do these last long or are they just garbage? im not good with computers so making a mame off of one aint in my abilitys. thought this may b a ok route to go

They are crap, Tried them, hate them. If you have to, go buy any dual core pc with 2 gigs of ram for about $75 and ad in Hyperspin software complete with mame and all emulators for about $75 on a external drive off ebay. You then need a $25 controller board and you are 10 times better then that crap.

dipindods

needs help. stuck in virgina.
ok........dunno what u just said hahaha. im no bueno when it comes to this stuff. like when u say crap whats so bad about them?

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
They are crap, Tried them, hate them. If you have to, go buy any dual core pc with 2 gigs of ram for about $75 and ad in Hyperspin software complete with mame and all emulators for about $75 on a external drive off ebay. You then need a $25 controller board and you are 10 times better then that crap.

You make it sound cheap and easy its not. A 2gb system wont play most chd games or even stv games and above.
I bought a few of these a little over a year ago. I had to replace the psu on most of them and other issues came up on them that I had to fix as well. Seems these are largely built from recycled parts.
They have the audio jacked up somehow..its better if you get it straight from the mobo but unamplified. Emulations ok.
You can plug a keyboard into it and hit the tab key and you have tons more options. (its running mame)
Keeping meaning to pick up some of the 800 game models and see if they run away better. Anyways it's a cheap and easy solution all in a neat little case has its drawbacks as well though.

dipindods

needs help. stuck in virgina.
wait u hook up a key board to the multi cart? and what options come up? so just sound issues is what it has?

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
The same options that you get when you hit tab in mame.

fox

n00b
You make it sound cheap and easy its not. A 2gb system wont play most chd games or even stv games and above.

That is what my hyperspin set up is running. Give me a game to try and I will let you know if it works. My system plays all good roms out there it seems