Anybody watch Chernobyl?

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
I was amazed by how good, yet bleak it is. Radiation sickness must be one of the most fucked up ways to go out.
I get why we need nuclear energy but holy hell - when shit goes awry it's akin to the apocalypse.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Yeah I have really been enjoying it.
But they certainly dont hold back in the showing of how fucked up it was.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Yes, good show. Scary to think 60 million people could have been wiped out if the melt down hit those tanks...

bradtemple87

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
I'm gonna jump on it this weekend after sitting in my list for a few weeks.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
Thanks for pointing this show out. I'll be checking out some episodes tomorrow. I've always been fascinated with Chernobyl.

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
I'm watching through it right now. It's hard to say which is worse to watch - the radiation itself or the politics surrounding all the policymakers dealing with the disaster.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
You would prefer fake Russian accents or Russian actors with subtitles? Fuck both of those options. It works best as is, just like The Death of Stalin.

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
I have been really enjoying this mini-series.

Have you read this Russian ex-pat's (sports scribe by day for the Hockey News) episode recaps? The production's authenticity is apparently stellar.

Ep. 1: https://twitter.com/SlavaMalamud/status/1132029943297265664

Ep. 2: https://twitter.com/SlavaMalamud/status/1132362644848033792

Ep. 3: https://twitter.com/SlavaMalamud/status/1132630861600444416

Ep. 4: https://twitter.com/SlavaMalamud/status/1133199099640074247

An article about the author finding out that his father-in-law was part of the Chernobyl clean-up, after encouraging him to watch the HBO docudrama (the father-in-law refused as he had seen it all in person, unbeknownst to the author.)

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
There was a kid in school with really bad acne we used to call Chernobyl.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I watched a bit, seems that it doesn't leave familiar tv-series territory on a production value/script level, but the topic is certainly worth to oversee these flaws. A new documentary as a mini-series would be better, though.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
It's a solid show, I have to download it, but it's worth it. Living during this time, the whole event once know was very concerning and we didn't have cable or the internet...

Twocents: I do wish there was more russian + subtitles. I find subtitles annoying a lot of the time, but in series/movies like this, hearing/seeing the emotion/fear/humor coming from a native speaker makes a better picture. Ever watch Tom Cruise in Valkyrie? Shitshow, but if more individuals were german or spoke german, it would have been better. Think movies like "Inglourious Basterds" or "Fury", it makes every seem more real.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I actually remember this on the news when i lived in europe as a kid. they had primitive computer graphics of the cloud going over us.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
So far, it's an excellent series. I like that it didn't hold back the flawed arrogance of Soviet engineering and the multiple points of view from individuals affected by the incident (Technicians, Emergency Crews, Engineers, Medical Staff, Doctors, Residents, etc).

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
The show is really failing to show the scale of the cleanup tho. Over 250k workers who all reached their radiation exposure limit. (wikipedia). Apparently that's the largest civil engineering project of the time.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
The show is really failing to show the scale of the cleanup tho. Over 250k workers who all reached their radiation exposure limit. (wikipedia). Apparently that's the largest civil engineering project of the time.

I'll honestly support the show and say that it would be horribly time consuming and difficult to show all of that.

It seems to me that the main point was the cover up, and how the real information finally got to the public. It's sad that so many people had to die in order for us all to know the truth and for the remaining reactors to be fixed. I cannot imagine the final realized death toll...it had to be massive.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I'd love to watch this, but I have no other reasons to pay for regular TV.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
I found the “official” death toll rather surprising.
Not sure why I found it as Rusia is well known for denying facts but something on such as massive scale is pretty incredible!

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Not sure why I found it as Rusia is well known for denying facts but something on such as massive scale is pretty incredible!

I cannot imagine the actual toll from that accident. The cost of actual lives, birth defects, long term diminished health. How many died in the early 90's of cancer of whatever due to it and didn't even know it? It had to be in the tens of thousands, if not more.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
I cannot imagine the actual toll from that accident. The cost of actual lives, birth defects, long term diminished health. How many died in the early 90's of cancer of whatever due to it and didn't even know it? It had to be in the tens of thousands, if not more.

Yeah I think it would be unthinkable to even try.
But its certainly more than 31!!

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
If anyone is on the fence about watching this show:

HBO’s ‘Chernobyl’ Is Now the Top-Rated TV Show on IMDb

Variety said:
[T]hat puts the critically acclaimed “Chernobyl” ahead of AMC’s “Breaking Bad”, BBC’s “Planet Earth II”, HBO’s “Band of Brothers”, the original “Planet Earth”, HBO’s “Game of Thrones” and HBO’s “The Wire”, according to IMDb’s ranking of TV shows.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member

I LOL'd. The Ruskies must have thought the rest of the world was a bunch of simpletons.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I'm still chewing on the show...it had that large of a mental impact on me. I fully understand that some of it wasn't 100% accurate, but the guts are and that's what counts. It really is a haunting show.

The part where the two go into the reactor room and see the core in full meltdown is easily one of the most terrifying things I've seen. No scare tactics needed, real, sub level fear.

Shows like that prove how good TV can still be when done correctly.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member