Anyone ever get into Strat-O-Matic or similar sports simulation games?

Argentina94

Slug Flyer Pilot
20 Year Member
Just curious is all.

I strictly mean the original board games, which can also include Statis Pro, APBA, Replay Publishing, Replay Manager, Pursue the Pennant, etc..

I'm not including the PC manager games that have a large audience in Europe.

I was always a big fan of Strat-O-Matic Hockey since I purchased my first set containing the (then recent) 86/87 season teams/players. The game caught my eye at my local comic book store, who also sold many non-mainstream board games (Avalon Hill type for example) and during this period of NES and Commodore 64, I was amazed that a board game existed that followed the strategy of the sport so closely.

I've never played any of the games from Strat's competition, mainly because I was never a baseball fan and while Strat's flagship game was their baseball simulator, they also had Football and Basketball.

I've purchased other seasons through the years and once in a while still play it.

I've never played the computer version, I always stuck with the board game.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
are you serious?
board game recreation of sports games?
sounds boring like crazy.

Argentina94

Slug Flyer Pilot
20 Year Member
rarehero said:
are you serious?
board game recreation of sports games?
sounds boring like crazy.

It's not everyone's cup of tea I know, but many people who are statistical fanatics get a kick out of it. It's a lot like Risk in a sense, lots of strategy comes into play.

Just ask Trip Hawkins, he's a lifelong Strat-O-Matic player.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strat-O-Matic