Anyone get their federal tax refund yet?

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
I know they pushed everything back two weeks, but it still seems like its taking a really long time.

IRS site is no real help and the "find my refund" tool doesn't seem to work. Bleh.

EDIT: Nevermind, apparently the IRS rejected my PIN number that they fucking gave me and neither they or turbotax informed me of this. What the fuck.

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I have to pay.....

....and pay DEARLY!

doctor-doom-20061024035358363_640w.jpg

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
according to the IRS i'm scheduled to have my return direct deposited tomorrow. so there's something. i realize i live in ireland now, but i still worked in texas for 7 months of last year. so i still filed my taxes, and i'm getting a good hunk back so i'll take it.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
Supposed to get my refund by the 4rd of March. Ready to buy a new washer and dryer too!

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Got my return two weeks ago already.

Just used it to pay down my credit card debt. :crying:

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
You guys are lucky... with your fancy tax refund... enjoy it while it lasts. I've had to pay up to $25,000 :( Granted, that was because I was selling stock to pay for school. Hardly makes it worth it, though. Sell stock, pay for school, then pay just about the same amount in taxes... Thanks, IRS, thanks... Yeah, a tax refund would be very nice.

BigTinz

VT's Bitch , You can fuck this mouth for a fruit c
You guys are lucky... with your fancy tax refund... enjoy it while it lasts. I've had to pay up to $25,000 :( Granted, that was because I was selling stock to pay for school. Hardly makes it worth it, though. Sell stock, pay for school, then pay just about the same amount in taxes... Thanks, IRS, thanks... Yeah, a tax refund would be very nice.

DAMN.

How much stock did you sell to have to pay back that much?

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
DAMN.

How much stock did you sell to have to pay back that much?

About $40,000 worth. To be clear, this was a stock grant from my employer. As such, they count sales as increased income, and don't withhold any taxes. Complete screw job when it comes time to pay the IRS ;) Of course, the only way to pay it was to sell another chunk of my stock grant... Vicious circle, anyone? Took a few years to end that loop and get the money owed down to a more reasonable number.

Supasaru

Windjammers Wonder
I have a quick question for anyone else that's a 1099-MISC...

In Florida, I could write off mileage I used for my personal vehicle to get back and forth to sites and clients.

In Georgia, they wouldn't let me do this.

In Illinois, the H&R Block (ya, I know Block is crap, but this is my first year up here so.....) rep was saying that I couldn't write off mileage in Illinois, either.

Georgia and Illinois have state tax. Florida doesn't. 1099-MISC is part of Federal Income tax... it makes absolutely no sense that this would be different between each state.

Anyone know the right answer?

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I have a quick question for anyone else that's a 1099-MISC...

In Florida, I could write off mileage I used for my personal vehicle to get back and forth to sites and clients.

In Georgia, they wouldn't let me do this.

In Illinois, the H&R Block (ya, I know Block is crap, but this is my first year up here so.....) rep was saying that I couldn't write off mileage in Illinois, either.

Georgia and Illinois have state tax. Florida doesn't. 1099-MISC is part of Federal Income tax... it makes absolutely no sense that this would be different between each state.

Anyone know the right answer?

I don't know how much H&R Block costs, but you can probably find a reasonably priced CPA in the area that could give you a lot of advice for things like this. My CPA costs about $300, and granted he's not the cheapest, but he does save me buckets of money by catching things I would have forgot to include. Way better than you're going to get at one of those places that just runs a software package to do your return.

Supasaru

Windjammers Wonder
I don't know how much H&R Block costs, but you can probably find a reasonably priced CPA in the area that could give you a lot of advice for things like this. My CPA costs about $300, and granted he's not the cheapest, but he does save me buckets of money by catching things I would have forgot to include. Way better than you're going to get at one of those places that just runs a software package to do your return.

Ya, I know, I know... :)

I was in a hurry and I didn't know exactly what would be different in IL than GA/FL..... so I just hit up what was close, convenient and offers a guarantee that they didn't eff it up - or they'll pay the difference. Seemed like a good idea at the time....

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
The REAL question here is 'Why are you moving around the country so much?'

Doom will find you no matter where you go.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Yeah, but...didn't they catch him, too?

It's a Latverian gulag for you, I think.

Or did he turn himself in?

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
I'm getting back a little more than I did last year. Part of my return is going towards preorders for the NGP and 3DS. The rest is going straight into savings.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Got my refund yesterday...

I hope you're stocking up on ammo in bulk, a bullet resistant vest and/or plate carrier/chest rig + several carbine training courses :emb:

Or you could like, save it and shit :rolleyes:

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Ya, I know, I know... :)

I was in a hurry and I didn't know exactly what would be different in IL than GA/FL..... so I just hit up what was close, convenient and offers a guarantee that they didn't eff it up - or they'll pay the difference. Seemed like a good idea at the time....

In Turbotax there were a few things like that that I couldn't claim because of State laws. Like in a lot of states you can write off money paid for registration on a car paid that year, but you can't in Florida. Just depends I guess.

Anyway, I guess the new PIN they gave me worked and my file got accepted this morning. Should have my stuff next Friday.