Anyone have a Vizio TV that's now F'd?

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I've had a 24" 1080p Vizio for about three years now (E24-C1 model). I turned it on the other day and it told me it had installed a firmware update. Now all of a sudden it's ghosting all over the place. It's so distracting I can barely watch TV on the thing. The TV never had a motion smoothing option before this update, and there still is no option for it in the menu. It's like it's permanently turned on. Has anyone else experienced this?

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
My old 1080p set died 1 month after it's 5 year warranty expired. I picked up a Vizio bought a 5 year warranty with it too.

3 years and problems is shit but I don't trust electronics, especially low end companies.

When I worked at Costco, the only thing returned more than Vizio sets was 360's, lol.

fake

15 Year Member
Yeah, if I could've bought a better 1080p 24" I would have, but they're really hard to find. Anything under 30" and you're looking at 720p exclusively. I have an 80" Vizio in my office that I'll check tomorrow, but that's always had an option for motion smoothing, so I'm assuming it'll stay off.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
I have 2 of them, one I bought in '07 and another I bought open box about 2 years ago. Both still going strong. I'm using the older one to play PS3, 360, and Wii stuff.
When I worked at Costco, the only thing returned more than Vizio sets was 360's, lol.
I've been seeing more higher end Samsung and LG sets come back more than Vizio now, an there are still quite a few Vizios being sold.
TCLs get returned a bunch, though. Mainly because people want to go bigger.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
LG is a good call, I forgot about those being up there for returns.

Edit I also forgot I've had my new Samsung in the shop.

Last edited:

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
why would you need 1080p for anything less than 27"?

fake

15 Year Member
why would you need 1080p for anything less than 27"?

Why wouldn't you? The smaller the screen, the better the picture in many cases. 1920 by 1080 pixels plotted on a 26" grid is a lot sharper than the same amount of pixels plotted along an 80" grid, no? It's not just about resolution; it's about pixel density as well.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member

Reading this on my LG DM2350D Led 3d Tv/Monitor that has been going strong for 6 years now.

If you want to buy a POS buy a Dynex aka Die Next

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I had a Vizio LCD for about 5 years that crapped out. It would still function, but started making loud popping noises. Like capacitors popping. It was really loud, and I could smell it. I called Vizio, and they informed me to unplug it (Duh!), and the best they could do was offer me a new set for a small discount.

I said screw that, and posted a thread here a few years back. Someone here that works at Best Buy recommended I get a nice LG. They said Vizio's are garbage, and they get more service repairs for them than any other name brand manufacturer.

So I got a 55' LG and I'm pretty happy thus far.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Reading this on my LG DM2350D Led 3d Tv/Monitor that has been going strong for 6 years now.

If you want to buy a POS buy a Dynex aka Die Next

Most returns are from the shipping process, hence the geek fraud baboons making sure it's not something loose and passing on real issues.

I had a LG phone that had zero issues. I just updated to a newer phone versus it broke.

Bottom line, some sets or batches of them encounter bad handling regularly. Maybe Costco depot's (or any company) have poor shipping practices in general.

YouTube is full of dumbass at work vids.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member

Yup. My first flat panel was a LG I bought back in early 2008, still works to this day. It was replaced by a new 4K LG set in fall 2015, not a single problem from it, save the flaky remote (it has the magic remote that can work like a Wii controller). I'm still amazed at the picture quality of the 2015 set, it's still impressive.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yeah, if I could've bought a better 1080p 24" I would have, but they're really hard to find. Anything under 30" and you're looking at 720p exclusively. I have an 80" Vizio in my office that I'll check tomorrow, but that's always had an option for motion smoothing, so I'm assuming it'll stay off.

Does it absolutely need to be a TV? There are lots of fantastic 24 inch 1080p computer monitors if you can live without a remote and a TV tuner.

fake

15 Year Member
Does it absolutely need to be a TV? There are lots of fantastic 24 inch 1080p computer monitors if you can live without a remote and a TV tuner.

That's the route I'm going to take if I replace this one.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Why wouldn't you? The smaller the screen, the better the picture in many cases. 1920 by 1080 pixels plotted on a 26" grid is a lot sharper than the same amount of pixels plotted along an 80" grid, no? It's not just about resolution; it's about pixel density as well.

Distance from the screen is just as important as screen size.

At living room distance, you won't notice much difference between 720 and 1080 on a 26" tv.
Across an entire room, you won't notice any difference.
If you are sitting at a desk with the display on it, then you will notice a huge difference.

Last edited:

fake

15 Year Member
Distance from the screen is just as important as screen size.

At living room distance, you won't notice much difference between 720 and 1080 on a 26" tv.
Across an entire room, you won't notice any difference.
If you are sitting at a desk with the display on it, then you will notice a huge difference.

Yup, exactly. I'm sitting at a desk. I mainly use it to play my 360 and have it on a 3M stand for a tate setup.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Don’t skimp and get the Vizio. Get what you deserve. Get the Sony...

fake

15 Year Member
Do they make a small 1080? I need 26” max for the tate action.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
I fear having to eventually having to buy a new TV. The Toshiba I’ve been rocking for the last few years is a dumb TV. Can you even buy one now that doesn’t have all this crap built in? If my TV decided to break itself I’d be super pissed.

Plastiq

n00b
Hopefully this doesn't happen to my 32". I hate that now you can't get a decent TV without smart features. I've also heard that some TVs are being subsidized by ads now.

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
Don’t skimp and get the Vizio. Get what you deserve. Get the Sony...

This, never had any problem with any Sony tv set. Samsung has high and low end quality tv's. The low end will die straight after warranty expired.

Last edited: