Anyone have any cool antiques or works of art?

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I have a bunch of cool things, I'll post some images some time. It has been the way I made monies the last few years but I've grown attached to some things and don't carre too much about how much they are worth. But through the years I've come across really fascinating things, some jade/greenstone carvings from Costa Rica for instance, a few pretty amazing 19th century cameos carved from lapislazuli and other stones in the renaissance manner (Revival period and grand tour bits).
Regret selling a lot of it but at the same time these are things I feel should move from hand to hand and in some cases be appreciated in museums (though I dislike a lot of museums for what they represent and how they came about their wares. Displaying the dead even if they are thousands of years old actually really gets to me, tasteless)
Alright time to stop waffling. What about you guys?

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I have a lot of that M guy's artwork...

I own lots of junk, but, none of it's really worth much, except to me. 😂

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I have some Memphis Group stuff and some mid-century stuff, a few OG Harvey Edwards prints, and a bunch of space age electronics like transistor radios and whatnot. I'll dust my stuff off and take photos.

For non-vintage, I have a bunch of handmade prints from friendswithyou, a bunch of super low run sofubi, and a few KAWS pieces.

oh I also have a very small dinosaur fossil

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
how does the forum feel about all our neo-geo paraphernalia not qualifying for discussion in this thread?

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
how does the forum feel about all our neo-geo paraphernalia not qualifying for discussion in this thread?
Good question. I tend to think that old tymer collectors of games may develop a taste for things beyond carts and consoles and whatnot. I mean, I used to get a buzz out of japanese consoles and games long before it became mainstream, but I think what was attractive to me was the object and it's design. And I think that's the case for many of us.

Btw, old stuff needn't be valuable in terms of money. Something well made is priceless much of the time. Atleast to the owner. It's all just stuff anyway, but sometimes it excudes life.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Two Ukiyo-e prints from the early 19th century (and a whole bunch of others) lots of stamps and coins and an indian saber. I don't really go for ancient stuff.

Oh and some Game & Watch, but you knew that already.

Reactions: wyo

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
What Ukiyo-e prints are these Shroom? I'd love to own a Yoshitoshi print some day.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I have a painting of Bret Hart by wasabi and a drawing of Duck King by Michael Yagami that hang side by side in my studio.

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
I have a pre screenshot from gta 3, on a piece of xerox machine paper with autographs. Got it from a former coworker who is best friends with Obbe Vermeij since pre school. I knew rhat GTA 3 was going to be 3d before any gamemagazine worldwide😎😁

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
I have a Sir mix-a-lot terminator

BryLmoo

AES Contact Cleaner, Extraordinaire!!!,
20 Year Member
My mother collected cookie jars when I was a kid. Ton's of McCoy and Hull (I believe that's what it's called) pottery. My grandfather served during WW2, and I have a good amount of WW2 memorabilia. Some nazi coins. Stuff like that.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
I have my great grandfather's Leica camera with a bunch of lenses and stuff. Some have "Made in occupied Japan" stamped on them. There's also some mail order flyers (?) for high end equipment from Japan, but everything is in English.

Also, got fairly into kendama over the years I lived in Japan and have some priceless kendamas which were passed onto me by my teacher.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
What Ukiyo-e prints are these Shroom? I'd love to own a Yoshitoshi print some day.
20211029_231435.jpg20211029_231442.jpg
So I re-checked, they're actually date 1851-53 and 1885 and they do look like it at parts.
I got 21 others, mostly Hiroshige (if you want cheaper-ish prints, go for Hiroshige stuff) from the mid 20th century and some Shin-Hanga stuff from this century, it's more about style than worth to me. Also got an excellently made from the ground up print of The Great Wave from 2016. It's just something I picked up in Japan back in 2015 and I always liked the style anyway, so I became an on-off collector.

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
View attachment 53228View attachment 53229
So I re-checked, they're actually date 1851-53 and 1885 and they do look like it at parts.
I got 21 others, mostly Hiroshige (if you want cheaper-ish prints, go for Hiroshige stuff) from the mid 20th century and some Shin-Hanga stuff from this century, it's more about style than worth to me. Also got an excellently made from the ground up off The Great Wave. It's just something I picked up in Japan back in 2015 and I always liked the style anyway, so I became an on-off collector.
Those Are Definetly Beautiful. I think I've had a later print of an utamaru at one point, one of his depictions of beautiful women, has mica type backround too.
Also had 2 shin hanga pieces, really nice, gave one to my son and he still has it on his wall which I'm happy about.

I'll tell you one artist who's works are price prohibited unless you go for later editions (maybe in this case it would be nicer to have something closer to an original) and is sublime
Sharaku
there's something about his portraits that trandscends ukiyo e and japanese art in general

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
This maskette is my baby. Top points if anyone can say what it is
20211029_195849.jpg

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
20211029_195806.jpg
Owned this for a while, almost sure it's japanese and probably some sort of button. Really nice little thing. There are similarly shaped Netsukes but this seems like it is something else. Pictures are shit. The metal part looks to be guilded I think

Last edited:

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Those Are Definetly Beautiful. I think I've had a later print of an utamaru at one point, one of his depictions of beautiful women, has mica type backround too.
Also had 2 shin hanga pieces, really nice, gave one to my son and he still has it on his wall which I'm happy about.

I'll tell you one artist who's works are price prohibited unless you go for later editions (maybe in this case it would be nicer to have something closer to an original) and is sublime
Shakaru
there's something about his portraits that trandscends ukiyo e and japanese art in general
I actually own a single Sharaku print :lolz:

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
It's just a newerish reprint, genuine old sharaku's are pretty expensive.

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
Not really, closest thing I have would be some Samurai Pizza Cats cells and hand-painted backgrounds.

Oh, and an animation cell of a naked Dr. Robotnik showering from the DIC Sonic cartoon