Anyone have info about American arcade games in Japan in the 90s?

sirlynxalot

Enemy Chaser
Fagit of the Year
This is basically the closest I am to being registered on an arcade forum so might as well ask here.

One topic I've always wondered about is the extent to which big-budget American arcade games (Atari, Midway, etc) were released in Japan, and what the heck the Japanese thought of them?

Did big budget US arcade games of the 90s such as Mortal Kombat 1/2/3 or Cruisn' USA get Japanese releases? Did they make any kind of impact? I know several of the early MK games got Japanese console ports, such as MKII, which was exclusively released in Japan for PS1... but what about the arcade versions?

How about earlier Atari stuff? Did Marble Madness or Roadblasters make its way to Japan? Tengen (aka Atari Games) released those titles on the Japanese megadrive, but did the arcades themselves make it over there? Some of these games, like Marble Madness, Hard Drivin' or Stun Runner, were very unique experiences at the time and I have to imagine even a Japanese audience with tons of Japanese games to choose from could have been intrigued by either the cutting edge of tech these games represented, and/or the unique gameplay experiences. I know Atari also published a ton of Namco arcade stuff in the US, did Namco have any recepricle agreement or interest to release US Atari stuff in Japan?

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Good questions. Hard Drivin' definetly made good impression over there, it wasn't a massive hit or anything of the sort though.
Some games integrated well into the japanese arcade landscape, Rampage and Gauntlet and some western fighting games such as KI and MK3. Though again, nothing crazy.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member

Namco bought the OG Atari Japan office
Not arcade but the Lynx was a modest success in Japan.

Atari tried three times and failed in Japan